Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 12-31-2011, 01:33 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 230/see ticker/130

Height: 5'1"

Default Worried about Medication Weight Gain

So I've been taking mood stabilizers/anti depressants for a few years now. My psychiatrist has been very conscious of not prescribing me anything that should cause weight gain. About 15 years ago in college I had a doctor who put me on depakote and I truly believe that it contributed heavily to my extreme weight gain. And then I have metabolic issues and Hashimotos that contributed to me not losing weight. So now I'm on medications to get the physical issues under control. And I'm struggling with the mental health issues.

I'm currently in the process of switching psychiatrists due to various reasons and I want her to re-evaluate my medications. I'm on lamictal for a mood disorder and abilify and wellbutrin for depression. Additionally I'm on metformin or diabetes and synthroid/cytomel or hashimotos. But lately I've really started working hard trying to lose some weight and nothing will budge. So I've started looking at the mental health medications again and now I'm reading that abilify might cause weight gain or could be an obstacle in weight loss.

I guess my question is, what medications should I talk to my doctor about staying away from? What are your experiences? I'm not looking for a magic pill for weight loss. I just don't want to add anything on to contribute to my current weight struggle. Someone mentioned seroquel to me but I'm reading that that can cause weight gain. I really need medication to assist in helping with my depression, but now I'm scared of it all. What's the lesser of two evils? Being mentally healthy but physically unhealthy? Or being physically healthy and mentally unhealthy? Can't I achieve getting healthy in both areas? Any suggestions? I'm meeting with the new doctor on Monday and I'm nervous that there aren't going to be any options for me.
aliasihaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 01:41 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 210/210/130

Height: 5'5

I am exactly going through the same thing now. I take zyprexa and it causes weight gain. i am afraid of switching it to some thing else because I will start having illogical thoughts or pyscotic thinking. I think however that it is more important that you be mentally healthy and then control the physical part of it yourself. That you can control.
lasttime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 04:53 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 247/183/117

Height: 5'4"

I am afraid I do not have a suggestion for what might work but I was on Abilify for two years and gained 80 pounds on it. I was on another anti-depressant for two months and gained 15. They can help but diffently do cause weight gain, at least the ones I was on.
Now I exercise and walk outdoors in the sun to help control my depression, it has helped. And I am losing weight to boot, yippee!
I wish you the best of luck in finding one that helps but does not cause weight gain! I am sure there is some, I just gave up on them. Walking outdoors makes me feel good and relieves stress, at least for me. I feel calm right now after walking for an hour.
Good luck!
blueice10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 05:36 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 211/178/150 LW:161

Height: 5'6

I was on 80mg of Prozac for 4 months and gained 40lbs! I'm still struggling to lose the weight I gained from that med. I was on Wellbutrin at one point also but only experienced the side effects of the medication so I stopped taking it. Lamictal I found to be weight neutral, I even lost weight on Lamictal. I know how it feels to gain weight on a med, it truly sucks and really just depresses you more. I loved Prozac, for me that was it, I felt brand new. But the 40lb weight gain and only fitting into yoga pants didn't help with my depression.

Since you're going to a new doctor, see what they say. Maybe they just need to adjust your meds. It's really hard to tell when you're taking multiple medications which one is the cause of the weight gain. I agree with going for walks and getting plenty of sunshine. Good luck!! I know its tough.
vixxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 10:49 PM   #5  

Hi I am on basically the same meds all except Effexor instead of Wellbutrin and the abiilify has made me gain all of my weight. I love sweets and before taking abiilify I could eat them without gaining but now if I do I gain all the weight and I did the south beach type diet went to a weight loss clinic and followed their program which is just like the south beach and I lost a lot of weight but when I stopped gained it back and then some. It is important for our mental state to become first then you don't just sit around and be depressed and do nothing all day. Now that I have that all under control I have decided to think about myself and do what is right for me so I am starting south beach again. I know I used to struggle with why so much meds with my doctor and decided if it works why not take what makes us feel better and healthier mentally. For our type of weight loss it is a commitment that you make I used to bug the mess out of my doctor about my weight gain and realized that I just have to watch what I eat. I have been feeling great now for years since taking these meds and have had no relapse I really hope this helps somehow if you need anymore information just let me know
pamelajo1990 is offline   Reply With Quote