Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 10-23-2011, 02:41 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 201/173.8/130

Height: 5'5

Default How do you keep on going with your weight loss journey?

I have been loosing weight, but if anything i think its making me feel worse about myself. I'm starting to feel really stressed and disappointed in myself, with such a long way to go.

I keep gaining and loosing the same 5lbs, and i cant seem to break past it. It's like once i get to a certain number, i get a mental block and kind of relax? If that makes sense.

I feel like its starting to bring that depression on again, i haven't felt like this in a long time.

I had an eating disorder (a pretty severe one, with depression/anxiety) for about 5 years.. And i'm only 21. I feel like i have wasted/ing so much of my life worrying about my weight.

I really just want to get it off. Even as i lose pounds now, i feel like i just look worse? I thought as a i lose weight i would feel better and better, but im actually just starting to feel worse and feel like i have such a long way to go.

Its getting to the point where i have completely backed away from any social activity, i don't want to leave the house unless absolutely necessary.

Does anyone else feel like they have an insurmountable task. I worry that i wont be able to meet my goal - and how will i cope then?

That probably doesn't make any sense, just wanted to get it out.
lovehopefaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:24 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 170/ticker/slim

Height: 5ft 6

When I start to lose a 'nice' amount of weight, I feel like a switch goes off inside and I try and sabotage it by going off the rails and eating lots of takeaways, no fruit and veg etc.

Everyone has the capability of meeting their goal, and you have already lost such an amazing amount. You should pat yourself on the back for what you have done so far. Try not to think about the weight you have left to lose - this can depress anyone if they think about it hard enough.

Perhaps take up an activity that takes your focus off your weight? Charity work is a good one - as you feel good knowing you've helped out a person/animal/the enviroment.

good luck
3CatsMeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:42 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 182/ticker/130 145 hlthy bmi

Height: 5'4"

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovehopefaith View Post
I have been loosing weight, but if anything i think its making me feel worse about myself. I'm starting to feel really stressed and disappointed in myself, with such a long way to go.

I keep gaining and loosing the same 5lbs, and i cant seem to break past it. It's like once i get to a certain number, i get a mental block and kind of relax? If that makes sense.

I feel like its starting to bring that depression on again, i haven't felt like this in a long time.

I had an eating disorder (a pretty severe one, with depression/anxiety) for about 5 years.. And i'm only 21. I feel like i have wasted/ing so much of my life worrying about my weight.

I really just want to get it off. Even as i lose pounds now, i feel like i just look worse? I thought as a i lose weight i would feel better and better, but im actually just starting to feel worse and feel like i have such a long way to go.

Its getting to the point where i have completely backed away from any social activity, i don't want to leave the house unless absolutely necessary.

Does anyone else feel like they have an insurmountable task. I worry that i wont be able to meet my goal - and how will i cope then?

That probably doesn't make any sense, just wanted to get it out.
First of all do not set your goal to 110. your healthy bmi weight is 150. Maintain 150 for a year or so.Let your body adjust to that weight and then reset your goal. If you jump from 201 to 110 you will be unhappy till you reach there. Also, you will look haggered. Celebrate small small successes in life. Be happy and contented with yourself.
puneri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 05:41 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 201/173.8/130

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by puneri View Post
First of all do not set your goal to 110. your healthy bmi weight is 150. Maintain 150 for a year or so.Let your body adjust to that weight and then reset your goal. If you jump from 201 to 110 you will be unhappy till you reach there. Also, you will look haggered. Celebrate small small successes in life. Be happy and contented with yourself.
Thanks I'm totally flexible with my gw, but i will say that i have been 110 before and it is actually fine one me, i am really petite and so any weight really shows on me. Probably around 130 - 140 pounds mark is a good medium.

Thanks for the advice guys, was just one of those bad days, so feeling a bit better today
lovehopefaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 06:46 AM   #5  
Calorie Counter-Runner

S/C/G: 309/158/164

Height: 5'8

Glad to hear you are feeling better. Sometimes when we allow ourselves to stick to mindsets that don't work for us then it's just a viscious cycle. You have to gain mental strength to push forward. Try new things, Do something you have not done before. Find a physical activity that will excite you and drive you without even noticing.
Gaining and losing just means what you are doing is not a lifestyel but more a of a diet. You could technically stick to a great plan without the scale at all and see results if you stick to it.
Good Luck, Keep feeling better!
twinmommaplusone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 11:04 AM   #6  
Playing to Lose

S/C/G: 194/ticker/129

Height: 5' 1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovehopefaith View Post

This is saying a lot. I had an eating disorder too. Actually, I still do. I will always have mental struggles with food. Food was my medicine when I was feeling depressed, sad, anxious, etc. So when your medicine is taken away from you there are withdrawals that you have to white-knuckle your way through. So what do we do in the meantime? Well, that's for you to figure out. I tried a lot of things. I started playing poker online (free!), I started going to the gym, I joined 3FC. I needed to find a new "fix" that would help me relax like food used to do for me.

So what is going to be your fix? I promise, there IS one out there for you. Even if it's just as simple as going to Barnes & Noble, looking at books, finding a comfy chair in the corner and tapping into their wireless network with your laptop.

This depression can pass. And perhaps you just need a pharmacutical drug to help you along the way?

When something we love is taken away from us (FOOD!) we are going to be sad and lonely. We are basically left holding a load of emotions we don't know what to do with or how to deal with them.

I feel your pain. I really do.
ShanIAm is offline   Reply With Quote