Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 09-26-2011, 01:08 AM   #1  
Love Thyself

S/C/G: 231/199/165

Height: 5'7"

Default How do you keep going?

You know when everything is falling apart and all you really want to do is curl into a ball, forget everything and cry. How do you push that aside and continue on?

I think that is my biggest problem. Here I am starting over again. I plan perfectly. I set great goals. I know inside and out what I need to do and how to do it. I feel positive and motivated and amazing.

The very next day I am a bawling mess who feels like her entire world is falling apart. I end up doing everything wrong and throwing it all out of the window. I binge to feed my feelings- comfort food. I end up not being able to sleep and feeling tired and like I have no energy.

I know that I can't just be on a rollercoaster of doing the right thing and the next moment throwing it all out. I know that I need to just pick myself up, dust myself off and get back on track. But it feels so much easier said then done.

How do you do it?
moonkissed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 04:41 PM   #2  
ButDoesntWannaLookLikeOne

S/C/G: 230/218/170

Height: 5'4"

One meal at a time. One HOUR at a time. I find that if I look at the big picture of all the weight I need to lose I get overwhelmed and all the negative thoughts come in: "I can't do this," etc. Take baby steps. Try to live in the moment and focus only on what is right in front of you.

Because you've posted in the depression area I feel comfortable asking: are you on medication? Are you seeing anyone for depression? What kind of a support system do you have?

Keep posting and reading . We're all here to support each other.
LovesBassets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 04:43 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 233/200/145

Height: 5'6

I think about all the things I'm missing out on!
PrimeTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 05:13 PM   #4  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

Motivation, for me, is the hardest aspect of this lifestyle change. It sounds like you've got the goal setting portion down, but have trouble staying motivated. I'll give you an example of what I do, and maybe you can modify it to meet your own goals. My goal, right now, is to complete a full 90 day round of the P90X exercise program. It's hard. I exercise an hour plus per day, and I have to watch my diet very carefully. It would be so easy to quit, to give up, because I'm sore all the time. The results are happening, but so slowly! LOL. So I read success stories from people who have done it. I watch the transformation videos. I join message boards and discuss different challenges with other people that are doing it. I joined several accountability groups to keep me on track and motivated. I even listen to music that is motivating for exercise and include requests in my prayers to God for help. Thanks to these various tactics, I am over halfway to my goal. The one thing I wish I had, that I don't, is a real-life workout buddy. That would help me a lot, but I'm managing without that. Maybe you could incorporate some of those into your own program and it will help. Good luck!
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 12:50 PM   #5  
On the slow track.

S/C/G: 210/ticker/160

Height: 5'9

Moonkissed, I have so been where you are. There are days where just getting out of bed and brushing my teeth is a major accomplishment.

From your post, it looks to me that your biggest problem is not your weight/diet but your depression. Do you have a therapist? Do you take meds? I honestly believe that when depression is serious, it gets in the way of EVERYTHING else and makes achieving your goals--whatever they are--virtually impossible. If you haven't sought help for your depression (bipolar?), now is probably the time.

Good luck.
DietVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 02:48 PM   #6  
Love Thyself

S/C/G: 231/199/165

Height: 5'7"

Thank you everyone

I am trying to write in my blog everyday to keep myself focused and keep myself motivated and to sort out the chaos lol

I also wrote out goals to keep myself focused and made long term and short term ones. I hope that will help me.

I haven't seen a therapist but my old doctor had me on prozac but I stopped taking it about a year ago and haven't been back to the doctor since. It is a long story there. But I am hoping to get back to the doctor after christmas.
moonkissed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 03:13 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 270/260/150

Height: 5'6"

I'm dealing with the same issues now.I think it is true to take small steps,one day at a time,and even one hour at a time.When I look too far ahead it gets overwhelming and I crash and burn.Maybe we can encourage each other.
grasshopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 06:21 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 210/210/150

Height: 5'9"

I am dealing with the same things as well.

Recently I started researching Depression and ADD.
My brother has ADD and through his counsel I started realizing that it's not all about hyperactivity.

People with ADD often have anxiety about deadlines and important issues in their life and are very prone to depression, expecially if they started having ADD at a young age.

When I looked at the symptoms of ADD and depression I saw that I had almost ALL of them! I also took the Myers Briggs personality test that helped me to learn to recognize my personality type a litttle more. According to the test I am an INFP( Introverted, Intuitive, Feeling, Perceiving.)

I'm not saying that you have ADD or anything. This is just some information that is helping me learn a little more about who I am, and I'm finally cutting myself some slack for having trouble accomplishing the important things on my to-do list. I used to feel guilty all the time and it just made it harder to move forward.

Here's the websites I found if you're interested:

webmd .com
adhd-health .com

(To read up on Myers Briggs and take the free test check out

personalitypathways .com (for info and free test
personalitypage .com (for explaining your test results)

I hope this helps. If not, just know that others are rootin for ya!
becamay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 07:04 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 230/see ticker/130

Height: 5'1"

I can completely relate to this post. I struggle from one day to the next with motivation. One day I'm completely focused and the next I'm bingeing or doing something equally unhealthy. I am on medication for a mood disorder and depression, but I actually don't think it's really helped me. I look at the people around me who are so productive and get completely jealous. I feel like there is something lacking in my chemistry that prevents me from moving forward and I don't know what to do about it. I recently lost 10 pounds and then spent the next week putting it back on even though I had been so proud of myself (I've been avoiding setting my ticker back). I don't know what it is inside me that can't stay focused on the larger goal.

But I agree with what everyone has said. You've got to take it step by step and not get yourself down by the big picture. Getting into activities and being generally busy helps as well. But I'm definitely speaking about this as one who is studying successful people not actually having been the successful person. I'm hoping that one day I'll figure it out, but I'm struggling with it as well. If you feel like talking to someone going through the same journey then please drop me a line. What I've realized from this site is that any bad thought you have had has most likely been thought of by someone else as well. And sometimes its good to get it out in the open. It seems to help lessen the impact of the bad thoughts. Anyway, if you figure it out please let me know. :-) Good luck!
aliasihaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 07:31 PM   #10  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
I binge to feed my feelings- comfort food. I end up not being able to sleep and feeling tired and like I have no energy.
Sounds like it isn't the diet planning part but the emotional self care part that needs some attention first, so you can succeed at the body care part next.

Have your read Linda Spangle's "Life is Hard. Food is Easy?" Maybe that could help until you can get to your appt after xmas?

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 07:34 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 24W/10-12/10-12

Height: 5', 5"

MOONKISSED...Remember, feelings are temporary. They are dictated by temporary situations and circumstances. Just let them pass and keep your eye on the goal.

It's like the Disney song....I know that if you put 1 foot in front of the other, soon you'll make it to GOAL. Someone on the 3FC boards said that actions don't come from feelings, feelings come from actions. Just concentrate on staying on plan...soon the feeling will follow.

I have the same days but I know it's just my body and my unhealthy psyche throwing a tantrum. Then, I remember I am in control of me. I agree with a previous poster....take it one meal at a time, one snack at a time. If you look at the end of the journey it will seem big. Instead, look at it literally one snack/meal at a time. Concentrate on making the next best choice....if you don't...you get a clean slate and get to choose the best choice next time.

Write a list of why you started this journey and things you will be able to do once you're healthier. Let it be your encouragement. Pull it out when you start feeling down.

BIG HUGS....remember, we are cheering you on to goal.

Last edited by free1; 10-12-2011 at 07:35 PM.
free1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 11:06 AM   #12  

Height: 5'0"

Motivation is my biggest obstacle as well. I am right there with you, Moonkissed. I know EXACTLY what I need to do and have seen it work before, but I lack any and all motivation. My depression started last year when I was miserable at my job and my weight started to spiral out of control. Now I have a new job and am happy about so much in my personal life, but I still lack motivation and am still dealing with my depression.

We can do this.
leannerenee is offline   Reply With Quote