3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Depression and Weight Issues (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/depression-weight-issues-76/)
-   -   Weight Loss & Stress (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/depression-weight-issues/243069-weight-loss-stress.html)

Visionary 09-14-2011 04:40 PM

Weight Loss & Stress

Wow, it's amazing. It does seem that once things start happening, life tumbles like a deck of cards. That is how I am feeling.

I won't go into details, but it's overwhelming. I almost don't want to type how scared and vulnerable I feel.

I noticed my weight loss has stopped and I have gained 7 lbs. in the past week.

I am feeling so scared and need to go take a long walk. I barely have the energy for it.

Anyway, I know I'm not a "loser" and we are not talking weight here. But I feel like I am losing everything I worked so hard for all my life and I am feeling worthless.

Now, my weight loss I know is tied into this.

Would love to get some insight and feedback.

Thanks.

josey 09-14-2011 04:56 PM

It's a little tough to give you feedback when you don't tell us what's going on.

Though I suggest to stick to your plan. If it is not bullet proof (i.e. can be done in tough times) it won't last.

7 lbs in a week is actually not possible considering that 3500 calories equal 1 lbs. Or did you eat 25000 calories more than you need?

boomerang 09-14-2011 04:57 PM

Oh Visionary, so sorry to hear that you are going through such a difficult time! :hug: A walk seems like a perfect way to address the stress that you're encountering. Regarding the wt. gain, treat yourself gently and perhaps, instead of focusing on a loss right now, you can try to simply maintain, if that is possible. The apparent 7# gain is probably not FAT. I cannot comment on your consumption of the last week but you would have had to eat (I am guessing at your maintenance range) about 5500 calories EVERY SINGLE one of those days to have gained 7#. I know you know this and can do the math, but sometimes when we are completely overwhelmed, we can lose sight of something like that.

Feeling like your whole way of life is being threatened, regardless of the area of your life that is undergoing the change is so terrifying. I hope that you have a support system that comes through for you emotionally but also with practical, real life, interventions. I hope that you can get some actual help with whatever you are going through.
You are not a loser, just going through what sounds like a shocking development in your life that may have hit you unexpectedly.

Bethedee 09-14-2011 05:12 PM

I have a lot of problems with stress. I'm in my third year of college and taking the maximum amount of credits, and on the nights I have a lot of homework I definitely end up snacking way more than is necessary, and what's worse is I get too much work to do to work out. It creates a cycle of worry and self-issues. Hang in there and stick with your plan, but don't be too hard on yourself.

boomerang 09-14-2011 06:00 PM

Bethedee, a lot of people think that the first year of college is the hardest but I can definitely see how your 3rd year would be quite stressful. You are either headed to graduation or to graduate school and possibly getting ready for a job; perhaps you have some unknowns ahead of you.
I don't know if this would work for you and in no way am I suggesting that you change any eating patterns that work for you, but I wonder if you might find it useful to save the bulk of your calories for the time when you are snacking anyway. EVEN if what you are eating during that time is exactly what you would be eating anyway, at least you will not be adding to the calories but staying within your limit. Also, since so many of us overeat (or binge) because we "blew it anyway", you may feel like you are in control because you are eating the nr. of calories that you planned for. This may reduce the overeating borne out of a feeling of loss of control.
As for the exercising, I understand completely that it is difficult to fit things in, so can you, perhaps include some small things during your breaks from studying, even if it is some isometrics or exercises you can do in your room? Also, perhaps you may be able to walk to classes, take stairs, etc., if you are not already doing that. You can EVEN do some abdominal/breathing exercises DURING your classes, that nobody would even know about or some of those subtle leg lifts that nobody would see (you lift your feet off the floor by a fraction of an inch). Isometric exercises with your arms would also remain unnoticed by your classmates. Even something like butt tightening will be your "secret". You can achieve quite a bit without anyone being the wiser.
Good luck with your schoolwork as well as your health regimen. :)

Visionary 09-14-2011 07:36 PM

Walking it off

Great feedback. I think the 7 lbs. is mostly water and yes, eating way too much at night. I know what I need to do.

The main point is that the stress seems to sometimes really set me off. It's hard to stay focused and determined.

So, I took a nap....then got myself up and took a 2 mile walk. I took my time. Did not push myself. I just started crying at the end of it because I actually felt really proud of myself for just getting out and doing it.

I am under stress because I just lost my home to foreclosure trying to help my only child get through an illness with no insurance. It's not even about the home at this point.

Anyway, during the walk I started out just running all the monkey mind stuff... by the end of the walk, I just felt like, all I can do is the best I can, care and love those that are important to me ( all people to the best of my ability) and to try to just do the best I can.

Taking the walk just made me feel like I was doing the best I can at that moment. I really saw how I have to stop comparing myself to the person who can work out 5 days a week for 3 hours at a time... blah...blah...blah...you get the picture.

I'm new here and don't want to be a cry baby. I usually am pretty strong but I think it's the always being strong thing that just got to me today. Sometimes, I just have to surrender and just do the best I can with what I have at the moment.

Thanks for the words of encouragement. They really do help!

josey 09-14-2011 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Visionary (Post 4032933)
Great feedback. I think the 7 lbs. is mostly water and yes, eating way too much at night. I know what I need to do.

The main point is that the stress seems to sometimes really set me off. It's hard to stay focused and determined.

So, I took a nap....then got myself up and took a 2 mile walk. I took my time. Did not push myself. I just started crying at the end of it because I actually felt really proud of myself for just getting out and doing it.

I am under stress because I just lost my home to foreclosure trying to help my only child get through an illness with no insurance. It's not even about the home at this point.

Anyway, during the walk I started out just running all the monkey mind stuff... by the end of the walk, I just felt like, all I can do is the best I can, care and love those that are important to me ( all people to the best of my ability) and to try to just do the best I can.

Taking the walk just made me feel like I was doing the best I can at that moment. I really saw how I have to stop comparing myself to the person who can work out 5 days a week for 3 hours at a time... blah...blah...blah...you get the picture.

I'm new here and don't want to be a cry baby. I usually am pretty strong but I think it's the always being strong thing that just got to me today. Sometimes, I just have to surrender and just do the best I can with what I have at the moment.

Thanks for the words of encouragement. They really do help!

Visionary, great job to go out and walk it off. Surprisingly I found that working out is a good stress reliever. I hated working out but now I look at it differently. If you like to walk and maybe take it a step further, check out C25k (http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml). It is a program that helps you learn running. I find running to be great when I am stressed.

Don't worry about being a cry baby. Sometimes we are and here on 3FC you will always, always find support. Just let us know when you need to talk, cry, vent or cheer!

PS: I totally get the "strong" part. I feel the same. I am trying to be so strong all the time but when everything crumbles I am crumbling with it. Hard!

Visionary 09-14-2011 08:23 PM

Great Idea

Love the running web site idea.

Thanks for that GREAT idea...something to aspire to. Thanks soooo much!;)

boomerang 09-14-2011 08:47 PM

Visionary, I believe that you have every right to be upset. You are going through something traumatic and the fact that much of our population is going through similar situations is probably no comfort. I am really sorry that your child is ill, how incredibly difficult for you. I hope you will find the necessary support to get the medical care you need. Did you, by any chance try to contact the social work department at the hospital or perhaps the condition has an association that could cover some of your expenses.
I walk every day but not for exercise, though I am sure it does not hurt me in any way. I walk in order to clear my head. I use my audiobooks but for years, when I was unaware that such a thing existed, I used my time to simply think. I found that the time spent walking, usually presented an opportunity to problem solve. That, coupled with the endorphins and enkephalins always made my walk a productive time. Also, if you've been going through so much, sleeping is probably something that your body really needs.
Being a crybaby is not a crime, EVEN if you are simply having a cranky day, let alone if you are experiencing a prolonged period of time being stressed, as you seem to have gone through. Try to do whatever you can to take care of yourself emotionally and physically. You know what they say about the oxygen mask on airplanes: put yours on to be sure that you're ok in order to be able to put on your child's mask. If we can provide some support, please come back .:hug:

Sophieeex3 09-14-2011 09:04 PM

Omg don't stress out and whatever you do don't take out your frustrations by eating and wrecking all of your success. I can assure you that the weight is water retention probably from too much sodium intake. Have you eaten sushi this week? Chinese food? You'd be surprised by how much water our body can retain from water. Drink a lot of water for the next 2-3 days so your system can flush the sodium. And also weight yourself every day this week so that you can see the weight gradually go down. It'll motivate you.

If its not the sodium it can be water retention from your pre-menstrual cycle. The average woman gains between 5- 12 lbs of water weight before menstruating. Expect a lot of weight gain around a week before your cycle.

Hope the weight goes back to normal for you :(. I used to deal with the same frustrations not understanding how these things happened. I did my research and now I am confident in myself. If you know what you eat and what you put in your body then you'll understand your weight.

nanmalott 09-14-2011 09:22 PM

Honey if you have gained 7 lbs in a week and are feeling worthless you need to talk to a priest, pastor or a mental health professional for your own good. This is not really at all good for you. Sounds like you have some very serious problems going on and you won't be losing any weight until you start feeling better about yourself. Good luck and blessed be.

nanmalott

emmyroo 09-14-2011 10:10 PM

Visionary, I'm so proud of you for getting out there and walking. I'm right there with you on the issues - my husband is out of work it's soooo tough. But exercise helps a lot and you are doing an amazing job, just coming here and asking for help is a big step. Hang in there.

celrae 09-14-2011 10:42 PM

:hug:
I have been though several months of hard core stress so I do understand. Keep focused and work your plan. I discovered that I have no control over anything but, myself and wight loss is important to my journey. Also, very cool that you could find support during this though time. Take care:hug:

Visionary 09-14-2011 11:38 PM

Great ideas here. I know this is a stressful time for so many people.

I know that we are all just really trying to be supportive and most of the comments do help. I do believe the weight I say I retained is mostly water...I did go off my plan and then sleep alot.

The point really here is to better deal with ANY stress. No matter how big,small or overwhelming. How I used to cope and how I cope now is very different. I just can see that when I feel overwelmed with it all I tend to slip back into old habits. I do have o say that the walking and exercising help SNAP me out of it and get me to clearly see things for what they are and to handle things maturely to the best of my ability.

Thank you for those that really do understand and for your very positive feedback and great insight. I really feel that I am not alone and that in of itself is a great gift.

I also know it is healing to give back and I look forward to giving other wise words of encouragement and share how I get through things so that maybe someone else who is experiencing anything stressful can find solutions as well.

Virtual Group Hug!:-)

Sinoia 09-15-2011 12:42 AM

I am so sorry you having to deal with such significant problems and really empathise with your troubles.

One thing really helps, it was the one bit of advice I really clung to after my breakdown .... my facilitator told me that this is not the time for thinking, it is the time for doing. When you feel it coming down on you do something mindless ... paint a wall, do the ironing, weed a garden ... whatever it takes.

Take care of yourself first. This is not selfish, you deserve it, and if you are strong and well you are in a much better position to deal with the adversity that surrounds you and yours.

My heart goes out to you.