Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 07-24-2011, 08:57 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 220/194/150

Height: 5'7

Default Phen, anti-depressants, and cardio

Hi,

I've been doing weight watchers for 8 months, and have lost, then gained back 10 lbs.... I tend to always think about food, almost obsessively.

In a moment of desperation I got an rx for Phentermine, 30 mg a day... I generally eat healthy: fruits and veg, not too many carbs, no sweets, no crap no fried food, and I attend karate classes 4 days a week....

My reasoning was that it's tough to keep working at this with out some sort o payoff....if I'm doing something and losing weight, I'll keep doing it. But when I'm not losing....there's no motivation

So, I've been taking phen since last Thursday, and now I'm paranoid, reading online about horrible problems and people dying from it. I'm not sure if these are legit, common, or whatever..

But: consider that I take anti-depressants, anti-seizure and mood stabilizers... and I have a mitral valve prolapse ( valve issue in my heart).

I've been side lined due to shin splints so I haven't been doing the heavy cardio I'm used to....now I'm scared to do it, afraid I'm going to pass out or something.

What has been anyone's experience? THe Dr that prescribed it is my PCP, not my psychiatrist.

I weigh 205, need to lose 40-50 lbs...so it's not like I'm doing this for vanity pounds....
Optical Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 09:39 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 250/168/150

Height: 5'7"

Did your doctor order an EKG for you first? That was one of the conditions my doctor had for me before he would give me Phentermine. I don't know enough about it to know if your heart condition would be an issue with Phentermine, but it does sound like cause for concern to be addressed with a doctor. Good luck!
JessLess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 09:53 PM   #3  

I didn't have an EKG....I've decided to stop taking it....I took my blood pressure and it was high. 134/89..not 'high' in general, but high for me.

I also figure if I'm thinking about it so much, and am uncomfortable taking it, then I shouldn't...so I'm not.

It's kind of upsetting, because I'm having such a hard time taking this weight off, but I don't want to jeopardize my health over it.
Some will say what's more dangerous: being obese, or taking phen...

I guess it depends on each person's experience.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:45 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 250/168/150

Height: 5'7"

I had a great experience with Phen, but it varies for each person. It helped me get going with losing, but then when I went off I had a very long plateau. But when I started calorie counting seriously, I was able to start (slowly) losing again. I don't have your health concerns though, and I think they are legit concerns.
JessLess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 11:10 PM   #5  

I take Lexapro and Xanax for depression and anxiety. My phsychiatric nurse has told me on several occasions that I can't take Phentermine with the Lexapro. I took Phentermine years ago with awesome results, but eventially gained the weight back - lost it again with Weight Watcher's, gained it back. :-(

I just don't know what to do now. I want to lose weight, but I can't stick to any program for more than a day. I've joined WW and quit after day 2 so many times that I'm embarrassed to go back! I have tried to do it on my own with no success either. I would love to be able to take Phentermine to jump start the weight loss, but since the nurse said no, I'm scared to try it too. :-(
mousymargaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 11:19 PM   #6  

I spoke w/ my doc again, asking if there was anything else I could take: no....
le sigh.
I'm in a weight loss holding pattern, trying to concentrate on health instead of weight loss...it's really tough to undo the diet mentallity.

I was doing weight watchers but stopped because I'm so tired of counting; counting points, calories, carbs, fat grams....so very tired of counting anything.,

Not sure what I'm going to do yet. I'm glad I got rid of the phen, because it's so tempted to go back to it.....isn't that sad? Even though it gave me dangerous side effects.