3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Depression and Weight Issues (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/depression-weight-issues-76/)
-   -   Stop me while I'm ahead.. (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/depression-weight-issues/236128-stop-me-while-im-ahead.html)

Strawbryrain 06-21-2011 02:01 AM

Stop me while I'm ahead..

It's been a stressful week at work. But that's only the beginning. I got a call from my father today, and for the first time ever we had an all-out "scream fest" because I finally grew tired of him prodding into my financial and personal business. He's never taken a hint before now, I don't know why I thought yelling back and forth would help... And what's more, is that we had already planned a lovely little lunch on Friday that I would really like to cancel. But how do you break off dinner plans with your father because you're ticked at him? I feel horrible doing it, but I know he'll just bring up the whole mess again. :(

At any rate, I'm feeling terribly blue, and that fried cheesecake at the local deli is sounding terrific. Please keep me on track.. I've lost 20 lbs on the SBD, and I do not need this. Maybe there's some other comfort food that is within my diet criteria. Or maybe I just need something to take my mind off it. What do you do when you're feeling blue? I really don't want to pack the pounds back on when I've tried so hard, but it's so tempting right now.

Lovely 06-21-2011 02:08 AM

:hug:

That cheesecake will not solve anything. And in fact, tomorrow you will regret having eaten it.

(Besides, I saw some kids sneak behind the counter and stick their muddy fingers in it! Gross! You don't want to eat dirty cheese cake that's been muddled by sticky little kid fingers! ;) )

Try not to use food at all for comfort, as that keeps the doorway open to food being used in times of stress or unhappiness. And it shouldn't be. There are other ways to deal. Talking it out, venting on forums (wink wink), writing about it in a journal, painting a picture, reading a book, going for a jog, getting lost in a drama on TV.

Food won't solve the problem! You can work your way around it. :hug:

Strawbryrain 06-21-2011 02:16 AM

It also doesn't help when he tells me to "get up off my fat *** and do something" on my only day off.
That's grounds for divorce in my book when it comes to a relationship, but you can't divorce your father.

uwfan27 06-21-2011 04:12 PM

I feel your pain! I have been doing so well with my depression/anxiety but over the last week or so I've felt like it's starting to creep up on me again. I took this weekend "off" to go camping and see a concert and I think that attributed to my less-than-perfect mood. I even gave into a food craving last night and in NO WAY am I any happier for it!! I have decided that I need to get back on track because eating properly and exercising regularly not only help my figure but immensely help my mental health as well!

Hang in there... the cheesecake is not the answer!

DCchick 06-21-2011 04:18 PM

Hey Strawbryrain--so sorry youre going thru that with your father! I totally agree with the above poster to do whatever you can not to try to make yourself feel better with food! I know Ive been doing it for years, and we both know that it wont ever make you feel better.

UWfan27--I know what you mean, i have anxiety issues and probably depression that Im just starting to recognize/deal with. It's really tough to keep it at-bay. I had a ton of plans this weekend, and I just couldnt get into any of them. Every time i went out, I just wanted to go home. I was quiet and reserved and just felt bad for no reason! I know getting close to TOM doesnt help much either...

AnnaGal 06-21-2011 04:44 PM

@Strawbryrain I'm sorry too. Parent-stress always sets me back. I wish I could say I knew of something that helped, but I don't.
:hug:

@uwfan27 Thanks for sharing your experience. When I have something special or different planned, I really freak out about it (even if it's something I really want) and about 30% of the time, I don't follow through with my plans. Often when I do, I don't enjoy myself, because I'm so nervous. It takes such a toll on my relationships.

bargoo 06-21-2011 05:03 PM

Tell your dad you are a big girl now and can take care of your personal and financial business just fine with no help from him. If it comes up at dinner tell him once and you are leaving if he doesn't stop, and do it , if he starts , get up and leave. Do this enough times and he will get the message.

Strawbryrain 06-22-2011 10:07 PM

Thank you for the support. You really are wonderful people.
Things are looking up! This morning I found I had lost 2 more pounds, so it was enough of a boost in self-esteem to keep my diet in check today. It's barely a move, and I know tomorrow I may be back to where I was yesterday since it fluctuates, but it's an encouragement.
I texted my father; I hope he'll understand, though I doubt he will. Despite living the most humble and tame life anyone can possibly lead (seriously, I think becoming a nun would be a step UP in excitement), I can do no right in his eyes. Nevertheless, I tried to be a lady; here's what I wrote, what do you think?: "I would like to cancel our dinner plans for Friday. Thank you, but let's try it again another time, okay?"
Again, thank you all very much. You are truly kind souls. I hope all of your sorrows dissipate as well, and you're able to see the silver lining. Believe me, I know incredibly well that it's not easy, as I've experienced just this week for instance. It's there, we just have to look for it.

mimi86 06-22-2011 10:12 PM

Oh my gosh you sound just like ME! Father and everything! I had an INFURIATINGLY FRUSTRATING day at work today, you know what I did? I went shopping (probably wasn't a good idea because it just made me madder to see myself in the fitting room mirror...but I found some cute shirts) got home late, said 'screw it' and knocked out a session of 30 Day Shred at level 2 at 9:00 pm. Every time I felt like dogging my technique and taking a break, I just thought about how mad i was today at work...I even added an extra 30 seconds to each cardio stage running laps around my apartment. First time I've done 30DS 3 days in a row (I usually do it every other day or every 2 days...i know that's not the point of 30DS but I'm usually so busy...). I feel much better, and ready for a full nights rest....

Strawbryrain 06-23-2011 04:45 PM

Way to go, mimi86! Make that anger work for you! Hahaha. Great idea. I think on my really frustrating days, I'll dust off my old jump rope and go to town on that sucker.