Zyprexa

• Hello:
    I am on ZYDIS (Zyprexa) and it has caused me to gain a lot of weight. I have gone up from 130 to 180 in the past two years. The Dr. won't change it for me since I have skitzophrenia and need this medication to be stable. What should I do? I need help!
  • Although I have no answers, you are not alone in this. My husband went on that medication and gained quite a bit of weight and he is small to begin with. He said he just felt like he was never satisfied. His younger daughter also went on it and she is also thin, they took her off of it after a couple weeks cause all she wanted to do was eat all the time. There were other meds that were available to them as they are bi-polar. This is a very common side effect with this medication. You probably have already asked your DR. if there are any other alternatives to that medication but it wouldnt hurt to ask if you have not already.
  • I am on this meds for 2 years..I never experience weight gain, although am a snacker,..It does help on my mindset and stable on my mental health is good. I am glad that my Phd doctor put me on Zyprexa. Snack on fruits and veggies.. That is what am doing now...Best wishes to you..
  • Zyprexa is a very dangerous drug. It is strongly linked to both obesity and diabetes. The pharmaceutical company who makes Zyprexa also makes a diabetes drug that is the 2nd most popular drug after Zyprexa. Coincidence? I don't know.
  • What do you mean linked to obesity and diabetes? Are you saying zyprexa is responsible for these illnesses or what?