Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 05-15-2011, 11:36 AM   #1  
Goal is health

S/C/G: 238.8/176.1/163

Height: 5'8"

Default Advice.

I have been married 10 months, and Friday, my STBX told me he wanted a divorce and confirmed it last night. I'm going to go to the doctor some time this week, because I want to hit off these emotions fast. I've been through a lot in my life and now have no family. Parents died young. So what do I need to say when going to ask if anti-depressants will help me?

I am also going to seek counseling.
DrivenByAmbition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 11:56 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 208/141/120

Height: 5ft 4inch

hi honey, so sorry for what you are going through, when you go to the doctors just tell him what you are feeling and he should give you some pills but you have to remember pills will only work to a point you really have to address the problems you are having, ask for some counselling that might be a big help for you.
Hope you get on ok, take care
marie81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 12:37 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 252/225/180

Height: 5'9

Make a plan and stick with it (just like diet and exercise). I started counseling 3 years ago and committed to 1 year. After one year and no medication my counselor and I felt like I had the necessary tools to get though problem situations and I stopped seeing him regularly. Previous I had been cycling in and out of chronic depression and was on medication. I try to keep a whole foods diet and currently have been eating meat/vegs. for a slow carb effect (a cleaner diet does help me with mood balance). Since I stopped regular counseling I do go back when needed. I have ended three negative relationships, 2 with friends and 1 with an employer. These were hard transitions and have taken years but, I am much happier and healthier now. We can change, stay focused and be inspired.
celrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 01:00 PM   #4  
Fat Chick on a Mission

S/C/G: 216/ticker/150

Height: 5ft 3in

Antidepressants are meant to help people with clinical depression, which is caused by chemical imbalances in the brain.

I think they are THE most over-prescribed medication. It is not my intention to downplay their necessity....my feelings are only that they are prescribed very often to people who don't need them. This is almost always a risky endeavor. Messing around with those chemical levels when there isn't an abnormality can cause one instead of being a help. This is why so many people experience a worsening of symptoms.

There is such a thing as environmental depression. When your situation/circumstances cause you to be unable to lift yourself out of depressive type moods. The only way to cure environmental depression is to change that environment. Sometimes though, that is WAY easier said than done.

It's not like you can fix this by next week, so I do think you would benefit from help to get you through until the situation can be fixed. Counseling is a great start and might be all you need.

There are supplements that can help improve your mood naturally. You might also ask your doctor for a medication to help with anxiety for when you need it-they work to just calm your nerves rather than messing around with seratonin levels, etc. I also agree about diet being important - a lack of certain nutrients can also cause depressive moods (because they can temporarily affect chemical levels). A good multivitamin can't hurt, and if you can afford it getting bloodwork done to know if there is a specific nutrient deficiency can be beneficial also.

It makes me so sad to hear of people who are in bad situations and get handed a prescription only to get worse because they didn't need it in the first place. IMO in situations like yours they should be a last resort for a doctor to endorse, but sadly they are handed out like candy. Hard times don't cause chemical imbalances. Genetics and biology do.

I'm really sorry you have to go through this. There is no such thing as a happy divorce. But it is a temporary problem and there is light on the other end of that tunnel. A applaud you for recognizing the need and having the willingness to get help!
dragonlady1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 03:18 PM   #5  
I got this

S/C/G: 206/162/135

Height: a little over 5'2

Oh no, Driven- I am so sorry. I don't know what to say that will help but if you ever need to talk, I'm here. Good for you for seeking help- I know it is not easy to do!
amandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 04:03 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 117.7/63.7/60

Height: 168

I agree - antidepressants are intended for clinical depression. If you are not usually depressed, this is situational depression ie. a normal, natural response to a devastating life event. Counselling would likely be much more beneficial, not to mention that antidepressants tend to take 4-6 weeks to reach maximum effect.
pacman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 06:44 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 230/210/150

Height: 5'1"

Clinical depression is much different than the normal being sad and depressed about something. Pills are not the answer for that usually. We all have sad times in life, and that's what makes happy times better. Unless you really need them, which is your call and your doctors, pills can make you feel numb, feel nothing. Sometimes not even joy, so be careful. we were meant to feel all emotions, and there is nothing wrong with you if you are feeling sad, angry, whatever, about this. Once on pills, it's hard to come off.
Ursula745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 12:44 AM   #8  

So sorry that life has been rotten lately. Before considering medication, I would strongly recommend getting some therapy. A good therapist can help you to reframe recent events and build some coping skills that will serve you for life.

Medication would be a secondary strategy, and your therapist can help you make that decision.

Good luck, stay strong.
jhkoenig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 02:54 PM   #9  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenByAmbition View Post
So what do I need to say when going to ask if anti-depressants will help me? I am also going to seek counseling.
First... I am so sorry and more

Will meds help?? this is something none of us can answer as we are not in your shoes nor are we doctors. IMHO seeing your doctor is the best thing you can do for yourself, I am also happy to hear you are going to seek counceling. Please let us know how you are doing... we all wish you the best.

Leenie
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote