Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Closed Thread

Old 12-06-2002, 01:59 PM   #1  

Thumbs up Tired, Depressed, Overweight, Can't get Going!

Hello Everyone,
I just re-signed up to the 3FC's site. I use to be a faithful follower. But to get to the point, I just can't get my diet going. To give you a little background...

I'm almost 39 years old, 5'6", 186lbs.
I have been on on one form of anti-depressant or another, on and off for the past 3 years.

I have been recently diagnosed with Sleep Apnea and now use a CPAP appliance at night. My sleep disorder Dr. has prescribed Meridia to help me lose weight. I have been on it for about 1.5 months with NO results.

I really want to loose at least 40lbs., but I am ALWAYS too tired to exercise. This is evidently because of my Sleep Apnea, which I have mostly because I am overweight, get the picture.

I am not on an anti-depressant at this time, which might be making this a bigger deal than it actually is. Does anyone have any advice...
Old 12-06-2002, 02:27 PM   #2  

Default Welcome Rose

So glad you could join us. I completely understand being too tired to move sometimes.

First question, have you been evaluated by a doctor for your depression recently? One of the symptoms of depression can be fatigue and lethargy. A lot of new meds have come out in the past three years and there are ones out there that can work for you now. Most of us that have been on meds have changed dosage and/or the actual med a few times before they find the right one. I encourage you to speak with your doctor and get her/him to help you feel better. I don't have sleep apnea, but I do know having a rotten nights sleep makes me feel awful.

About exercise... believe it or not, exercising WILL give you more energy if you stick with it. It took me a good 6 weeks of doing it before I really noticed a change. And yes I was tired, and yes I didn't want to do it.. but I pushed through that like a stubborn old bull and said NO.. this is something I have to do for my health! Some say it takes 3 weeks, but I am terribly slow sometimes You have to start with small baby steps.. 5 minutes if that is all you can handle. You don't have to burn and kick and jump right off the bat. A 5 minute stroll in a shopping mall or around your neighborhood, if weather permits.

You also need to really think about the things you aren't too tired to do.. watch TV, cook meals, clean your home, perhaps work outside the home. Think about setting aside 5 minutes of your tv time.. and exercising. Reward yourself with non food items for milestones.. first week exercising, first 15 minute day... etc. Most important. find something you like to do. If you don't like it, no matter how good it is you won't stick with it. One thing that works for me is exercising first thing in the morning.. before breakfast and before I leave for work. Otherwise, when I get home I have a million excuses why I can't. It is such a good feelign to know that at 6am, I am done with it for the day.

This has to come from inside of you.. someplace. You are stronger than you think you are. Listen to what your heart is telling you that you need to do. It sounds like your heart is telling you to move.. so start with a baby step. Pretty soon, you'll be
Old 12-06-2002, 03:22 PM   #3  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Yup, exactly what Linda ^ said !

Baby steps I too am having a hard time getting started but I'm trying to make better choices and slowly change habbits which is hard to do. One thing I do know is if I have junk in the house I will eat it period ! Try to keep healthy stuff around.

Linda send some of those endorf's my way PLEASE.

Good luck, glad to see your here with us.

Love, Leenie
Old 12-10-2002, 02:54 AM   #4  

Hi there,

I go for a workshop every week ( 2 more weeks to go) to try to learn how to deal with depression and stress. One of the key things they keep telling us is look to the small things first if getting dressed is the goal of the moment do or just concentrate on that. They also insist that we go for a walk 2 x a day if we can, This is supposed to help raise the happy endorfins in our boddies. IF we manage once a day for 3 days of the week thats good to its all in the starting and planning. Also not to beat yourself up if you don't succeed on the days plan.

So for it's a lot of hard work but thats what life is a lot of hard work, with a few smiles thrown in (hopefully)

marymaid
Closed Thread