Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Closed Thread

Old 11-12-2002, 01:13 PM   #1  

Default Crisis Mode

Hi All

I'm 51 and feel like I am in crisis mode right now. Feel like if I don't lose weight this time I will be a total failure. Have been on antidepressants for 3 yrs and usually just handle the feelings by eating.
Would like to join you here and get some input on how to really start.
I have commited my self to starting a journal and contributing to it regularly.
Have given up pop, sugars, and intend to start a walking program.
Thanks
Cassie
Old 11-12-2002, 01:27 PM   #2  

Default Hello Cassie

Welcome to our little corner of the funny farm.

You sound like you are ready to get started on the path to a healthy lifestyle... good for you. Take it one step at a time.. small changes do add up.

I know what you mean about using food to stuff down feelings.. I am the queen of doing that. I have been on anti d for 8 years and this year am finally getting it ( I think). It is a hard habit to break, but you can do this. I find keeping busy when I get the urge to stuff down feelings really helps.. coming here to post, writing an email to a friend, picking up a craft project, cuddling with my kitty or taking a lovely hot bath. You will find that exercise really helps!! I now get such an endorphin rush when I work out, that I really notice it when I don't. I am addicted to the feeling. Getting to this point took time.. it didn't happen over night that I started to like it, so don't feel badly if you start out hating it... I did. Start out with 5-10 minutes a few times a week if that is all you feel you can handle.. then gradually add minutes. The feeling of being in control of your life ... well there isn't a lot better.

And remember.. you are never a failure if you keep trying.
Old 11-13-2002, 02:08 PM   #3  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

From one queen to another !!

Emotional eating is my middle name. Wish I knew the magic words but as everyone here know's I'm struggling eat day with staying OP.

Cassie, you sound really positive and your plan sounds great. Come play with us on the daily boards and maybe we can cheer you up and vice verse. We are a little nutty but we love eachother nonetheless. I haven't been able to lose an ounce but I don't consider myself a failure ... I've failed when I've given up and I'll NEVER do that. Each day the Lord has given me I will try.

Hope to see you soon.

Love, Leenie

Also on anti-d's
Old 11-13-2002, 10:32 PM   #4  

Thanks Linda and Leenie I am glad to have found this place. I found a diet record sheet on the Women's day Online site.
It lets me keep a written record of time/food amount/ hunger level/(1Not hungry to 5 Ravenous)and Mood and feelings before and after eating.

Maybe none of this is new to you gals, but I have not made the effort up til now to figure these things out.

I really want to just feel healthier. My aim is not to get back my girlish figure. (of course if that is the side effect it would be ok)

Linda, was in San Jose about 4 weeks ago for my job. Beautiful area!

My worst time is at night, I seem to start my rounds in the kitchen at around 10:00, convinced I must find something good to eat. Usually spicey or crunchy. I don't seem to have a problem with sweets or pastry type stuff.
Isn't it funny how when you restrict yourself like on a diet, things you would never have touched before in the fridge or cupboard start to look good to you?

Well guess I will do some more investigating as for now it keeps me out of trouble!
Cassie
Old 11-14-2002, 03:36 AM   #5  

Default Crisis mode

Hi Cassie,

I am another one who comes here. I have been on antidepressants for almost a year now. Was on them in the 80's also. I have a problem with emotional eating also. It does help to come here everyday.

April
Old 11-15-2002, 10:16 AM   #6  

Talking HI Cassie

Welcome to our little corner of the world!

Keep on keeping on! Would love to get to know you better!

Eliz
Closed Thread