Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 11-19-2010, 01:23 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 230

Height: 5 feet 6 inches

Default Depression, anxiety, and body weight

All three are linked together as we all know. I am hoping to lose around 80 to 90 pounds but suffer from anxiety hence the name as well as depression. Events have led to weight gain but also have a generalized state of anxiety. I have tried a few meds -- wellbutrin, celexa and most recently klonopin but really dont want to deal with meds.

Not sure how others deal with anxiety depression and weight issues. Will have to explore this forum more to hopefully learn more about it.
anxiousgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 02:34 AM   #2  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

Hi and welcome. I have a general, low-grade permanent depression throughout the year, plus really bad Seasonal Depression. I've started calling it that rather than Seasonal Affective Disorder because if one more person says, "O yes, the winter blues", I won't be responsible for my actions! I Like cold days, dark and cosy evenings but my soul feels as if it's being sucked down the plug hole and I feel I'm teetering on the edge of non-existence.

Anyhoo, I've been losing weight (again) since the end of May this year, lost 46lbs since then. What has achieved that and really helped with my depression is becoming a faintly obsessive calorie counter.
I use a calorie tracking software (DietPower, not free but very cheap; there are free online alternatives) which also keeps track of all vitamins and minerals. When I discovered this, I found I was way low on vits and mins, so take a couple of good supplements now, which has to help.
I've just changed from a lower carb (but not low carb, it doesn't suit me) to a higher one for the winter, because I read in a few places that our bodies are programmed to want more carbs in winter. So far, so good.
I weigh daily but only once.

All this has been a big help to my mood/mental state, and what I put it down to is a sense of being in control. My depression/non-existence is always worse when I feel out of control about any issues in my life.

So I control what I eat - but only after lots of research into safe levels, I'm not just starving myself.
I log what I eat.
I log what I weigh. I never thought I'd say it but I really am getting to the place where I can get on the scales, see a worse result than I'd expected - and just accept it without trauma! I know that I'm eating and exercising correctly, these I can control; the results, because I don't understand all about my body yet, I can't.
I read and post here a lot. I get great advice and support, plus when I feel disinclined to look here it generally means I'm starting to lose impetus to diet.

I suppose the short answers are: planning and recording = Control. I have had a week totally free of The Sucking Pit, which is a first for Years.

Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 02:56 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 210/180/165 lbs 95/82/75 kgs

Height: 5'10

I also suffer from anxiety. I have PTSD and numerous phobias under various levels of control, and severe depression. Lots of labels I'm hesitant to use.

Losing weight is really helping me, as it introduces order and discipline into my life which my mind lacks! Healthier food helps my moods and succeeding and meeting little goals is good for my low self esteem.

Are you still taking Klonopin? Benzos are fantastic but should not be used on a daily basis IMO. I take Xanax as needed in small doses and rarely but still found myself physically dependant after temporarily escalating dose and frequency for only four weeks. Withdrawals are really hellish and bring about intense anxiety so it's best to space them out as much as possible. I have to speak out on benzos when mentioned because of what happened to me.

Anyway, I am doing diet meal delivery which has made the whole thing stress free and easy! I love it!

anxiousgirl, you can do it!
Sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 05:43 PM   #4  
emaline29

S/C/G: 226/202/154

Height: 4'11"

I too suffer from depression and over the years have done lots of things to try to counteract it and find out the cause. So a very disfunctional family life when I was young leading to having to live on my own from the age of 17 led to my being very isolated and feeling worthless and unloved. Now at the age of 76 I am resigned to the fact that it is something most depressives have in their genes plus and all that I can do is manage it as best as possible. That means that sometimes I have to resort to not watching a movie that is rather sad or sloppy as I know that will trigger it off. Stress is another thing so I try to talk things over with my daughter who helps me get things back in proportion. As to my dieting, I also find that a quite obsessive calorie, carbs, protein and fats count every day keeps me well occupied and being diabetic my Bg and Bp as well. Anything that helps is well worth the effort and this time of the year with the SAD problem too we all need lots of encouragement and support. Great to be on 3FC!

Last edited by emaline29; 11-19-2010 at 05:45 PM.
emaline29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 12:15 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 230

Height: 5 feet 6 inches

Thanks so much for the responses. I am feeling esp anxious today..trying to keep it together.

I havent taken the klonopin in a while afraid of it in some ways, I dont think I could get hooked on it though since it seems to just put me to sleep. I do think the half life of it after waking keeps me calmer.

I didnt do all that well today. I feel so fat I cannot stand it. I think the recording and being accountable thing is a good idea, one I have tried to avoid doing but I am going to begin measuring and recording everything.

Thanks again for the responses. Losing weight is hard enough but when you are battling anxiety and depression its even worse.
anxiousgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 12:48 AM   #6  

I'm sorry you had a bad day. I really hope tomorrow is better for you. It IS harder with anxiety and depression but you can totally do this.

That's great news that you're going to start recording everything, I'm excited for you! The routine might help the anxiety? It's good for me.

Yeah, they make me blissfully calm but we have to avoid the physical dependance. I was never psychologically addicted but I went into withdrawals from doubling up days on it. I still think they're useful for anxiety, they really help me. I am careful to only take them to prevent a panic attack. Sorry to be a preacher, I just don't want another anxious girl to have the same effect. *zip*
Old 11-21-2010, 08:41 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 241/231/165

Height: 5'9"

I do take clonopin every day, but a very small dose only .25. I take it in the morning. I couldn't take it at night- slept right through the morning and didn't get up for work
I do take some other meds too. I know this combination has really helped my anxiety along with a good therapist.
Anxiety really paralyzed me- the more I learned, I couldn't believe how much my thinking was controlled by it.
I think it takes time, but it is so worth it!! We can tAke control step by step
lillydi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 04:14 PM   #8  
emaline29

S/C/G: 226/202/154

Height: 4'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by anxiousgirl View Post
Thanks so much for the responses. I am feeling esp anxious today..trying to keep it together.

I didnt do all that well today. I feel so fat I cannot stand it. I think the recording and being accountable thing is a good idea, one I have tried to avoid doing but I am going to begin measuring and recording everything.

Thanks again for the responses. Losing weight is hard enough but when you are battling anxiety and depression its even worse.
How are you getting on with the weighing and recording stint. Can be a bit time consuming and even get a bit boring as well but if it helps to keep your mind off the things that make you anxious it's well worth it.
I well know that feeling of being fat, really grosse isn't it? Keep up the good work and as you get a more healthy and balanced diet you will soon begin to feel sooo much better.
All the very best to you. Am sending you positive vibes!!
emaline29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 08:11 AM   #9  

How are you doing, anxiousgirl?