3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Depression and Weight Issues (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/depression-weight-issues-76/)
-   -   Can processed foods cause depression? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/depression-weight-issues/204740-can-processed-foods-cause-depression.html)

mescelestus 06-15-2010 03:41 PM

Can processed foods cause depression?

Ok, so I usually eat clean, and limit my sugar and refined carb intake. This weekend (for about 3 days) I went off plan, I ate a lot of sugar, some pizza, a lot of processed foods, and few veggies. (I did not go way above my calories, I just ate poorly). By yesterday night (the end of day 3 of off plan eating)...I was at the end of my rope. I had lost it completely and I felt like I wanted to die. Now I deal with a low grade depression, (mostly self hatred, and the hatred of almost anyone around me)...but I have never felt THAT bad before. Could the off plan eating, and the blood sugar dips and spikes have contributed to that? I am back on plan to day, and I am back to normal. Thanks ~Sara

Michelle125 06-15-2010 04:12 PM

It definitely can. When my fiance was in Basic Training for the Army and we had to spend 4.5 months apart with almost no contact, I avoided all alcohol and junk food, and ate very clean and organic. And while I was feeling pulled apart from being away from him, there was an overwhelming feeling of well-being and happiness, I think mostly from the fresh foods. And now when I go back to the strictly organic and clean diet for a few days I feel very happy, no matter what goes on in my life. If I revert back for let's say, a weekend, I get crabby and start feeling hopeless... even if that weekend binge didn't lead to weight gain and I'm feeling skinny.

My mom gave me this awesome book called "Food and Mood", which I should probably read again. You can probably find it on Amazon. :)

ladyrider72472 06-15-2010 04:18 PM

I am looking into a book called "Potatoes not Prozac" and it most definitely says it causes depression. I am going to get the book tonight.

Tammy

mom with issues 06-15-2010 04:25 PM

I totally agree with Michelle. I try to eat as healthy as possible. I avoid a lot of carbs and as much processed foods and chemicals as possible. It is amazing what is in some of the "food" we eat. When I eat junk I feel worse both mentally and physically. After I get back to better foods, my mood lifts. My nutritionist tells me that by doing this I can possibly give up my bipolar meds, but I'm not ready for that yet.

mescelestus 06-15-2010 05:01 PM

Thanks guys! I think I am going to check out both those books. I am in the middle of reading "Women Food and God" right now, and I don't like it too much. It helps me to know that maybe my little episode was at least partially brought on by food. I almost NEVER go for a few days without veggies and stuff. Come to think of it, the same thing happened to me when I went to visit Nashville last time: I was on the road for a couple days...eating garbage...and by day 3 or so, I was feeling like I hated everything about Nashville, and I hated both the people I was with. Perhaps I should start a journal of what I am eating and what I am feeling?

Cglasscock1 06-15-2010 06:25 PM

I think that once you are in the habit of eating nutritious good food, that you feel depressed after eating food that you know is not good for your body. I think it's a mind thing as well as a nutritional result.

WarMaiden 06-15-2010 06:40 PM

I think that clean eating (no sugar, no junk), regular exercise, and plentiful sleep are essential to a healthy state of mind. Were it not for those practices, I am sure that I would feel quite depressed and emotionally immobilized by the challenges in my life (which include ongoing, long-term financial problems; my mother's illness with pancreatic cancer and eventual death; the stress of being the sole provider for my family; and the daily travails of raising three kids). But instead, I am able to weather the difficulties with a lot of emotional resilience. I have my down days every few weeks (often related to the natural fluctuation of hormones), but overall I am able to remain calm, anxiety-free, and emotionally steady. And yes, I attribute that largely to the junk-free way I eat.

mescelestus 06-15-2010 07:40 PM

Do you think there are other legitimate reasons to feel depressed? I.E. Not being where you want to be (geographical location), feeling like you are not doing anything with your life, unsure that you will be able to realize your dreams? I am fixing all of those things (moving to Nashville which is where I want to be, the place that I hope will help me realize my dreams)...usually I can have positive self-talk while I am waiting for all these things to happen...but last night, I felt like I was going to be alone in my bedroom for the rest of my life, never doing anything exciting or important...and if that was the way it was going to be...I'd rather not be alive. Obviously those feelings go deeper than food, my mother wanted to have me committed. I am thinking that I need therapy, but since I am moving in august, and don't really have coverage or money, idk how to handle it. It is also possible that I have a chemical imbalance, because (now this is just theoretical science)...My brother is a drug addict, and alcoholic, and most of the men on both sides of my family (and some women) have problems with alcohol...I am thinking that some sort of chemical problem may have led them all to the drink. What do you think?

wunnalosemore 06-15-2010 09:10 PM

I had lost 65 pounds from healthy carb dieting, and I got off all of my meds, but I did focus on eating healthy unprocessed food when I could. I think all of that stuff, hormones, etc does make a difference.

JennyGirl27 06-17-2010 09:15 PM

I think counseling would be beneficial.

I am going to counseling for issues relating to body image and not ideal self-love, stress, and all sorts of things really. It helps.

I also think that your idea of journaling was a good one.

SCraver 06-18-2010 10:49 AM

I have been on and off diets for as long as I can remember. And every time I get back "on a diet" I learn a little more. This time around I have been doing some research into High Fructose Corn Syrup, Trans Fats (ie. Hydrogenated Oils, Partially Hydrogenated Oils) and MSG (ie. Monosodium glutamate, Yeast Extract, and a whole boat load of other names).

The more of these things that I can cut out of my diet, the better I feel. I try to eat my veggies everyday and I feel like there is sunshine on my insides. Lol! That sounds so ridiculous, doesn't it?

I spent a week visiting my parents back in April. I ate mostly refined carbs all week... Omg. I definitely noticed a difference. All I wanted to do was lay down and sleep by the end of the week. I felt weighed down and just plain crappy. Listless is a good word.

If I eat too much junk food, I end up feeling almost hung over the next day.

If you do a search on MSG, it is shocking the things that they think MSG may cause.

And those commercials that say HFCS in moderation is just fine. I want to throw things at the TV. HFCS MAY BE just fine in MODERATION... but it is in NEARLY EVERY packaged food and beverage.

:soap:

Lol! OK! I am done now!

mom with issues 06-26-2010 07:02 PM

I know the way you eat can make a difference. Last weekend we went to a picnic and I was good for dinner and then after dinner I had a pieces of ice cream cake with strawberries. My stomach hurt SO bad that night and most of the next day. I figure it was all the sugar that my body isn't used to. And to mescelestus, I hope you are feeling better. Yes, changing your situation can help, but if your problem is truly a chemcal imbalance, then you will eventually feel that way again. I know there is a difference between not wanting to live and wanting to die. I have had periods of not wanting to live but have NEVER thought of taking my own life. Problems with depression and bipolar definitely can lead to drinking and drugs - it's called self medicating. If you truly think that is the problem, you need to find help any way you can. Contact local agencies, they may be able to help. Best of luck and contact me if you need support.

taliee 06-27-2010 03:07 AM

I'd have to agree with everyone else. The thing that really helps me more than anything, though, is exercise...even if it's a 15 minute walk. :)

diesirae 06-27-2010 02:24 PM

Hey there, your post caught my attention.

I can definitely say I know where your coming from. I have dealt with depression for as long as I can remember. While I can say most of it comes from my weight, and low self confidence, other factors can definitely contribute to it.

Something you said holds very true for me as well:

"Not being where you want to be (geographical location), feeling like you are not doing anything with your life, unsure that you will be able to realize your dreams?"

I feel this way about myself quite frequently. Even if though I have been working to change all those things, the fact that I'm still not there yet, gets to me. I've wasted so much of my life away because of my lack of self confidence.

Everyone is different when it comes to what cheers them up and makes them feel good about themselves. And not having medical coverage or the funds to go see a doctor or therapist about this can be very frustrating and make you feel you have nowhere to turn and nothing left to live for. I know that it can be hard to keep hanging on sometimes, but never give up hope, and never stop believing in yourself.

Sometimes things can clear themselves up on their own and there are sometimes things you can do to help evaluate where the depression / sadness comes from even if it is a chemical imbalance. For instance if your periods are irregular, or you often skip a few months worth of periods at a time, this could be a very good indication that your hormones are kind of doing their own thing and something as simple as birth control pills will do the trick to help get your hormones back in place.

Anytime your feeling down about yourself, try to look at your accomplishments in life, even if you don't feel you have many. I noticed that you were down to around 184 pounds, from 262. That is a huge accomplishment to be proud of! :hug:

I also agree what you eat can make a huge difference in how you feel. Not only do certain foods / chemicals produce negative effects on the body, but going off plan can make you feel guilt, anger or even sadness towards yourself.

I hope you start to feel better about yourself mescelestus. If you ever need any help or support in getting through rough times, we are all here for you :hug:

josephajain 06-30-2010 02:04 AM

Ya processed food can first of all cause a lot of fat and that finally leads to depression in the long run.