3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Depression and Weight Issues (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/depression-weight-issues-76/)
-   -   Just started Paxil (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/depression-weight-issues/202858-just-started-paxil.html)

HVEECK 05-26-2010 02:07 PM

Just started Paxil

My doctor just prescribed me paxil today. I told her specifically that I wanted an anti depressant that would NOT cause weight gain. I have been reading a lot about it today and have seen all sorts of things about it causing weight gain. I want to call her and ***** her out!! should I even start taking this med? will it make me gain weight? anyone out there have any experience with paxil? I honestly think my depression will just be worse if I gain weight with this med. so any advice will be helpful. does anyone know why these meds cause weight gain? I thought being depressed was making me binge, so the anti depressants were hopefully going to help me lose weight and help me control my eating, it would be horrible if they did the opposite.:?:

chickybird 05-26-2010 02:21 PM

I would call your dr. and express your concerns. While every person is different, I know several people who have gained weight on Paxil, myself included. But I want to stress again that every person is DIFFERENT! You may be just fine with it.

My Body in Motion 05-26-2010 02:22 PM

If you search on the internet hard enough, you can find just about anything. I just googled it and found a bunch of articles about how Paxil can cause weight loss.

I was on Paxil many years ago, and it did not cause weight gain.

That being said, all medicines can have different reactions for different people.

If I were you, I would take the Paxil for at least 3 months and see how it goes. If you stick with eating right and exercising and you gain 10 lbs for no apparent reason, go talk to your dr about it and see what other options you have.

Mental health is so, so important. Please don't not take the medicine because you're scared of weight gain.

Leenie 05-26-2010 04:24 PM

You can also do a search on this board for previous discussion regarding Paxil.

I don't blame you for being scared.....Good luck !!!

vixxi 05-26-2010 04:30 PM

My doctor prescribed me Paxil after I gained 40 plus pounds on Prozac. I haven't been on it for too long, about two months maybe, but I did notice that it stopped my obsessive thoughts about food, which would lead to binges. On the other hand, it also caused me to get quite aggressive. I've decided to try everything I can beside medication to get a grip on my depression. My doctor did tell me that Paxil shouldn't cause weight gain (i was very concerned especially after gaining 40 plus on prozac!) The thing that stinks is that many anti-depressants (in my own experience) cause weight gain, which honestly just makes me feel more depressed. Good Luck on Paxil! Let us know how your doing!:hug:

astrophe 05-26-2010 05:21 PM

I was on Paxil briefly a few years before my PCOS dx because I was angry/depressed no doctor would tell me what was wrong with me!

I don't remember gaining on it. In fact, that was my best period of weight loss, but that have been more from me taking out my frustrations in cardio workouts.

HTH!
A.

srmb60 05-26-2010 05:30 PM

Not a problem for me. I've taken it for probably 6 or 7 years now.

Liliann 05-26-2010 06:21 PM

I was on Paxil during 1999-2008. It did wonders for me during my time on paxil..till I had a relaspe. ..seen different PHd doctor and was off it, ..I don't blame the meds for my overeating, am a huge snacker, and only Me, myself and I to control it. I loved when being on paxil, got me more social, talkative, no deep thoughts of harming myself or others.

Give Paxil a chance and it will help you with your thoughts. Best of luck to you.:hug:

mom with issues 05-27-2010 07:48 PM

I took Paxil for a while many years ago. It did not make me gain weight, but it killed my libido, which is why I stopped taking it. I can't really think of any med (and I've been on SO many) that caused weight gain. I think it was more about how the med made me feel, which correlated to how much I ate. Like everyone said, all people are different. Give it a try, but watch what you eat and how much. If you feel it's causing weight gain for no reason, talk with your doctor about it. There are so many meds out there that there is no reason to stick with one that makes you feel worse or has side effects you can't tolerate.

HVEECK 05-29-2010 12:03 AM

Thank you for your responses! I am on day 3 of the paxil, and so far haven't noticed much difference in my mood or anything, I hope this helps me and doesn't cause weight gain, because I certainly do not need help gaining weight!!!
your responses have made me feel a little more at ease. I am sure that if I just eat within my calories and cont to work out, i should be fine. thanks again :hug:

eclipse 05-29-2010 12:39 AM

I was on paxil for several years and I did gain a lot of weight while I was on it, and it killed my libido. It DID help with panic attacks and anxiety, more than the Wellbutrin I'm talking now. Wellbutrin works better for my depression, though, and it has given me my libido back and I've lost almost 65 lbs since I started taking it this time around.

braveheartlion 05-30-2010 10:15 PM

I gained 30 lbs on paxil