Seroquel and weight gain

• I have been taking Seroquel for about 6 months. I was only taking 100 to 150mg but that was raised to 800mg a day when I had sever manic symptoms in late March/early April. Now, I am back down to 600mg and hopefully pdoc will say down to 400mg next week.

I gained 15 pounds during that episode due to eating whatever and whenever I wanted to. In the past six weeks I have lost 4 or 5 pounds. I am happy I did not gain more and I am losing again. It is just so slow.

Are there any other Seroquel users out there having trouble losing on this med? Maybe I should step up my walking. I don't want to reduce under 1,500 calories a day because I am hungry all darn day.
  • Congrats on your WL.. good job !!! Have you tried doing a search on this board for other seroquel discussions/threads? it might help answer some of your questions.

• Hydra,
    I'm sorry for what you are going through. I also take Seroquel but only take 25 - 50 mg. and night to help me sleep. I don't really like it because I tend to have a hard time "getting started" the next day. I can't imagine being on the dosage you are. I would sleep all the time, but I understand if your body needs the Seroquel, you won't have that type of reaction. I am bipolar but am fortunate not to have the extreme manic phases. I lean more toward depression. I have a cousin who has the mania and will be up for 2 or 3 days straight.
    Anyway, I don't gain weight from Seroquel since I take such a low dose. I have drastically changed my eating habits though. I now avoid most grains and dairy. I also try to stay away from processed foods. It is not possible to give these up altogether but I have cut them drastically. Once you get used to it, it's really not hard. I haven't lost a lot of weight, but shorts that were pretty tight a year ago are now very loose on me.
    The other thing I wanted to suggest is a website called crazymeds.us. It is a really great site for information in language that is easy to understand. It also has a great forum and you will find loads of information there too. I wish you the best of luck.