3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Depression and Weight Issues (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/depression-weight-issues-76/)
-   -   WTF is going on... (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/depression-weight-issues/190739-wtf-going.html)

medinazarley 01-12-2010 11:38 PM

WTF is going on...

so I've been on zoloft for a couple months, and amitryptalyne for sleep for amonth, i was just switched from zoloft to prozac for insurance reasons.

okay, so whats going on is that with school approaching my depression symptoms are coming back, and since its been snowing here in ohio i have an intense anxiety about driving. it's almost paralyzing. i have my husband drive when possible and all i do is breathe and clench my fists and wince when he turns or changes lanes.

not only do i not feel like myself, i feel like someone else, whos worse off.

wtf?

woobers 01-12-2010 11:46 PM

Awe Im sorry to hear that i am originally from Cuyahoga Falls! When I read your post I immediately understood where you are coming from. I am currently taking celexa for anxiety and depression, and i love it, the meds not the depression that is. How long ago did you switch it takes time for the new drug to ramp up in your system to replace the old one. Don't give up, just give it sometime. Until then its ok to be anxious but don't let it run your life! I promise you will get through this!!

mom with issues 01-13-2010 09:58 AM

Oh sweetheart, I hear you loud and clear. I live in Geneva (the glorious snow belt) and I'm here to tell you that if we get any more snow, I'm going to lose it. I also hate driving in it and will avoid it if at all possible. I have said that I'm not afraid of driving in it, I'm afraid of all the other people that are driving in it. I totally understand the anxiety it causes. If I do have to drive in it (or if riding is making me nervous) I find some really mellow music and play it. I personally find Jimmy Buffett works really well. It's hard to get overly tense when you're singing Cheeseburger in Paradise. It doesn't solve the problem, but it helps me A LOT. Other than that, we just have to wait for April, ha ha.
I agree with woobers that maybe you haven't given the Prozac enought time. I believe that Prozac and Zoloft are very similar and if one works for you the other should too. Best of luck and let us know how you are doing.

cathydoe 01-13-2010 10:09 AM

Switching for insurance reasons? Your idea?

See depression is a tender thing. One med will work and one won't. Golly I hate to see you change a medication because of money. That sucks. What about the generic Zoloft?

Shannon in ATL 01-13-2010 10:16 AM

I was going to ask why you didn't get moved to a generic as well. I know there is one, I was taking it for a long time.

Prozac is fluoxetine, Zoloft is sertraline. They are similar medications but not the same. You will likely find that the original medicine has to come out of your system all the way before the new one can take effect.

Good luck.

kerbear879 01-18-2010 01:40 PM

I hear you on the anxiety. I was the exact same way in the car if I was sitting in the passenger seat and then they doubled my Lexapro and I felt a million times better. Prozac just may not work for you or you made need to give it more time or a higher dose. That's the thing I've learned about anti-depressants is that it takes awhile sometimes to figure out which one is right for you. It's too bad your insurance wouldn't let you keep taking the zoloft since it was obviously already working for you. Hang in there!

pegdav 01-18-2010 02:24 PM

I made the same switch about 4 years ago. It was TOUGH but it did get better. It took a few months though. Also, I always insist on brand name, not generic. Not everyone agrees with me, but I feel like name brand works better. Hang in there. Every day brings you closer to being through it.