Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Closed Thread

Old 07-29-2002, 01:14 PM   #1  

S/C/G: H178/S170/140/135

Height: 5'3"

Default celexa weight gain

I'm a life time member of WW, tho I have gained back all 44 pounds PLUS. Recently, I was diagnosed with severe depression and was on a 5 month course of Celexa. The drug itself did wonders for my depression, but along with it came a 16 pound weight gain. Now, I KNOW I did not eat 16 pounds worth of extra food in that time. I'm now feeling much better and off the Celexa (after whining to my doctor over three visits).

Along with weight over the years, I am now 63 pounds heavier than when I reached goal weight back in 1978. I realize I'm older, but even so, I'm at least 35 pounds over the maximum range for my weight and age.

I rejoined WW last week and will go for my weigh in tomorrow. What I'm wondering is if any one else has had an experience with weight gain on antidepressants, and PLEASE tell me it came off after the drug was discontinued????

Debbie
Old 07-29-2002, 01:32 PM   #2  

Hi Mystery,
I too gained weight after being put on an antidepressant. I was taking Paxil.
I saw a doctor (different than the one that prescribed the Paxil) later, and without prompting from me she said that I had probably gained weight from the Paxil.. I think that it just increased my appetite..
I too joined WW and really like it. I'm off the Paxil, and am seeing real progress. Don't get discouraged.
I look at it this way.. The medication helped me through a very dark time and now I have a brighter outlook (to lose the weight by!!).
Take care, Rinsky
Old 07-29-2002, 04:29 PM   #3  

Thank you for your reply. I'm not sorry I used the Celexa, and you are so right when you called it a very dark time. I don't ever want to be there again.

I'm afraid to go tomorrow for that first weigh in after joining, but I WILL go. It's going to be slow going, I think.

This messageboard is a godsend. It's so reassuring to know this is not a lonesome journey.

Thanks again *S*
Old 07-29-2002, 05:39 PM   #4  

Hi Mystery,
We have more than a couple things in common..
My highest weight (in my life) was mid 170s (after the Paxil) and my WW 10% goal is 155 and my ultimate goal is 122.
I have 5.2 pounds to go to reach my 10%.
I just printed a bunch of restaurant point values and felt that it will be really helpful. The website is www.dwlz.com and you just have to fish around for the area..
You can do what I do when you don't feel fabulous about needing to weigh in -take a deep breath before you walk into the building and then don't make any excuses or condenm yourself about what the scale will say. Hey, you're there( at the meeting).. and you're there to make your life better. You can do this.
I can do this. We can do this!!

There was a quote I liked from one of the meetings:

Don't give up what you want most for what you want for the moment.

Lets help each other.
Rinsky
Old 07-29-2002, 08:09 PM   #5  

Welcome Rinsky and Mystery, to our little corner!

We are a small group in here, but I have to tell you, We are all Wonderful !!!

I can sympathize with both of you, but you are both on the right track, as am I right now.......POSITIVE THINKING and taking one day at a time. We can't look back at what we were or how we are now this is only "depressing" and unproductive kind of thinking.

There are several of us in this forum that swear by exercise as a way to beat our mood swings. I for one think it is the best thing and have been on track now for three months and still going

Stay with us and we will see each other through this journey.

Once again, WELCOME~~~~~~~Meg
Old 07-29-2002, 08:31 PM   #6  

Thanks once again Rinsky! I've just been at that site the last 2?? hours! *L.. what a GREAT site! I copied the thermometer to track my losses.

You're a gem! And yes, it sounds like we have a LOT in common!
Old 07-29-2002, 08:33 PM   #7  

Meg *s*... thanks for the warm welcome. With many family issues (two teens and a hub) to deal with in addition to the weight and keeping depression at bay, I am in awe of this site and the support I see.
Closed Thread