Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 09-27-2009, 12:04 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 190/ticker/150

Height: 5'7"

Default Feeling Down

I have been treated for depression for the past 3 years or so, and for the most part, it has been very effective.

Lately, my DH and I moved to a new city. For the most part, I like it. But with moving from a full time job in a suburb to two part time jobs in the heart of the city, taking transit instead of driving, and having people all around me and yet knowing no one, my whole life has turned upside down. I am having trouble dealing with it all. And although I had had my eating and excercise on track and under control for a good amount of time, I have found myself turning to my old source of comfort - food. I always start with a really good day, food wise, and then go crazy in the evenings, when I start feeling blue again.

I dont know what to do - I feel like all of my hard work is slipping away from me. I dont want to gain back all of the weight I lost. But I dont seem to have any control - food makes me feel better.

I guess mostly I am looking to get all of this off of my chest in a place where people have gone through some of the same things and feelings that I have.

Thank you for listening.
lovesjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 12:14 AM   #2  
Featherweight

S/C/G: 135/130/125

Height: 5'3.5"

Your move to a new city is both exciting and scary. You will settle in and get back on track. New friends will help. Have you been able to check out places to work out yet? I think controlling this new part of your life will help you fell better about the move.

AR4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 01:25 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 200/185/150

Height: 5'2

Default It will get better.

Hey,
I know moving can be hard. When I was thirteen, we moved from a large city, where I could walk everywhere, to a small town, with no where to walk even if I wanted to. It was hard, and now I can deffinatly see the effects.
But you seem to have had a good grasp on your weight, and the loss of it. I am sure that things will get easier if you make some friends, so why don't you try socializing. Join a gym, or maybe a church.

Anyway, you always have sites like this, to get support.

God, bless you, and good luck.

-Autumn.
AutumnArsenicx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 10:38 PM   #4  
Future Former Fat Girl

I know how hard a move can be. My hubby and I moved across the country this summer due to his job transfer. I left my job, friends, family, house - at least I took the cats.

It really is hard but I'm just now starting to see some good in this. There are new places to explore, better educational and employment opportunities and I be able to get my own home for the first time (after we married we lived in the home he owned with his ex. Never felt like mine.)

Keep looking for the good in your new hometown and so will I! I did find a wonderful women's only gym with great classes, like Zumba. I never would have found that back home! :-)
mllek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 11:19 PM   #5  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

Sweetie, I've moved before too, to places I did not always like.

My advice, embrace it, look for the good, take a deep breath, puff up yer chest and get out there, and just do it!

IT is not going to come to you, you are going to have to go after IT, whatever IT may be.

Good luck and best wishes!
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 11:05 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 194/see ticker/130

Height: 5'5

*Hugs*
Getting to know people in your new city can only get better from here on out. Try to get to know your co-workers or neighbors. Be bold and friendly. Make the first introduction. I think most people (the sane ones anyway) really do want to be nice and make new friends.

Hang in there.
KitgetsFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 09:30 AM   #7  
starting over again

S/C/G: 361/334/180

Height: 5'5"

I get you! I am out of work and in the process of moving and SO much of what we look at for external comfort (the respect of peers the comfort of the familiar) is missing that all that is left is internal queues that we are not necessarily adept at providing - You probably don't see it this way (I'm struggling here too) but this is an excellent opportunity for you to build a confidence in you that comes from you! You ARE great! no matter where or when!
lostbutstilltrying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 12:20 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 200/140/125

Height: 5'3"

Hi Lovesjm - it's the easiest thing to do, right? I've suffered from depression for years, since I was a teenager and always turned to food for comfort. Actually, no, I turned to food for everything - good days, bad days, in-between days! Comfort eating is a really hard habit to break, especially when it goes hand in hand with depression.

My advice is this - don't be so hard on yourself. Take it one day at a time. Being in a new place is overwhelming, for sure, but look at it as a new start, a chance to meet new people, try new things etc... I know this sounds like the usual cliched advice but if you try and put a positive spin on things you might feel a little brighter.

I'm in a low period right now too and am trying to stop myself from thinking so negatively - it's hard, really, really hard! But there is no way you can change and grow without trying. Hang in there! xxx
BeaBaby is offline   Reply With Quote