3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Depression and Weight Issues (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/depression-weight-issues-76/)
-   -   Pregnancy... abortion and weight gain (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/depression-weight-issues/179438-pregnancy-abortion-weight-gain.html)

GoNads 08-18-2009 02:04 AM

Pregnancy... abortion and weight gain

So... I was doing really well this summer. My all time high was 215 I was down to around 192, then I injured my knee at crossfit early july and couldn't box, bike, or go to crossfit anymore which I had been doing 5-6 days a week. Then I got pregnant, depressed and I just finally finished my medical abortion this weekend at home with the misoprostol. I feel sick to my stomach about it all and the inactivity combined with ****ty eatting because Im depressed doesnt help. I'm back up to 207 and going for knee surgery on wednesday which has a 6 week recovery period. I dont want this to get out of control. I'm so upset with everything.. Im depressed, ashamed, guilty and disgusted. And I cant even do anything I love to do to make myself feel better, like go to the gym, or bike because Im crippled with my knee. Gah :(

sunflowergirl68 08-18-2009 02:59 AM

It's totally normal to feel depressed after an ordeal like that. A lot of women do and you're not alone. You're not a bad person and please don't think you are. If you're going in for knee surgery, I have to reiterate that you have to tell the pre-op people and your surgeon of your recent medication (i've had surgery before and they ask you everything, even if you've smoked pot in the past). And they don't judge. But if it's a 6 week recovery period, just really watch what you're eating.

Really though, good luck. It might not be a bad idea to seek out support forums, and you might feel better. :-)

pucedaisy 08-18-2009 07:29 AM

hang in there- you're going through a lot right now, physically, emotionally. you can still keep eating well, taking care of yourself- your body needs a break to heal the knee, so for now taking time off from your exercise routine is the healthy choice. as for the abortion, i don't know your particular situation, but its another medical procedure with its own recovery needs. no need to feel guilt or shame- be good to yourself and nourish yourself physically and emotionally. the eating you can control. time will pass and you will recover and heal.:hug:

aneleh 08-18-2009 07:37 AM

:hug: Everyone will go through down periods sometime. It does help to talk it out though! Just think of the things you are grateful for. And keep reminding yourself. For the recovery period from your surgery, really focus your energy into eating nutritious, healthy food, your body *needs* it to heal. Don't think of it as an option, it's a MUST. If you have to get out some frustrations through exercise can you try holding on to a couple dumbells and doing different punches in the air while sitting? Uppercut, jab, etc. It'll tire you out pretty fast!

mirasha 08-20-2009 03:30 PM

Greetings,

It is normal to feel depressed after such a trying ordeal as that. Because your body is under soooo much stress right now, it is really important that you take the time to eat as healthy as possible so your body is not further strained. Give your body the nutrients it needs to be healthy. Even if you gain a little weight now, it sounds like your body may need it to recover from all of the problems you have been facing.

I really hope things get better for you. Keep at it, and keep your chin up.

NinaMarie 08-20-2009 05:16 PM

I'm sorry hon. I've had an abortion too when I was younger, while I'm not "proud" of it really, it was the best thing for me. Just make a promise to yourself in the future to be meticulous about taking your birth control so you don't have to go through that again. We all make mistakes nobody is perfect.

If you want to get some activity in you can do upper body weights while sitting in a chair, or you can do crunches on the floor with your knees out straight....that doesn't require any movement.

Just make sure to do your calorie intake for a "sedentary" person now that you won't be getting any excercise, and really stick to your eating plan. Doing good things for yourself always boosts your self esteem. If you still feel "down" you should think about talking to somebody... I don't have time to dig around for the number but if you google it you can find free 800 numbers you can call for counseling post abortion, or planned parenthood can refer you to somebody.

GoNads 08-20-2009 08:46 PM

Thank you all for your kind words, I finished the medical abortion which is non-surgical alternative using chemotherapy drugs and misoprostol to induce contractions. I went for surgery yesterday, Im in bed with a fair amount of pain, but I'll live. Just on crutches for 6 weeks now... It really does help, hearing supportive words, especially when one feels so alone in this world.

sunflowergirl68 08-21-2009 12:25 AM

it won't hurt to rest. you just had surgery and you're physically and emotionally drained. I'd just take this opportunity to be really good with your diet, and heal. The most important thing to do is to heal and take it easy. Good luck :-)

harrismm 08-21-2009 01:17 AM

You really need to be patient with yourself here.An end to a pregnacy, whether it be abortion or childbirth causes homornal changes.You are experiencing this and could easily cause some depression.I am sorry you are feeling guilty.You obviously made the best decision for yourself.Please believe that.Take care of yourself physically as well as emotionally.

Primm 08-21-2009 01:28 AM

If you've only just finished your chemo regime this weekend, it will take at least 6 weeks for your hormones to normalise. That plus the further surgery will really knock your weight loss off the rails.

My suggestion? Don't weigh yourself, and just focus on healing. Eat healthy, high protein meals for tissue regeneration, and make sure you get plenty of vitamins, especially B and C group to heal. I'd pop a multivit with zinc in it as well, just to make sure.

Destress, relax, and start again when you are healing. Which will be at least 6 weeks after the surgery, but will take way longer if you try and push it!

Relax. Breathe. Find some supportive friends - IRL, or here if you like. PM me if you would like a friendly, supportive, non-judgmental ear. But mostly just be patient. It will take time to recover from these two events, one on top of another, and if you try and hurry things along it will take longer.

{{{{{{{{{{Hugs}}}}}}}}}}

Mima 08-21-2009 08:14 AM

Just a wrd to all who have depression and are recovering from an abortion-Jesus is a healer. Try reading the Bible-especially John.
From someone who is not depressed because of the hope that heaven is a lot better than this earth,

starfishkitty 08-28-2009 04:04 AM

When it rains, it pours, doesn't it? :(

I don't think I can say much more than what those above me have said.... but all the same.... :hug:... you'll get through this. And for whatever reasons things like these happen to us.... we always come out the other end a little smarter, a little older, and definitely a lot better... as long as you allow it.

Good luck lady.... keep up with the healthiness in whatever ways you can and don't give up just because you're laid up for a bit. Things WILL get better!