Feeling bad about my overweight self

• How do you cope with it when someone "notices" that you've gained weight? I'm so self-conscious as it is about it, and I'm trying to lose, but I can tell when people who haven't seen me for a while notice that I've put on 15 pounds. I hate to even go walking anymore for fear of people seeing my fat self. On a brighter note, I seem to be tolerating budeprion XL (generic Wellbutrin XL) okay. I moved up to 300 mg the other day and am hoping I can tolerate it. Any suggestions on how to not "care" when I see that look on peoples' faces? I'm working on it, but it's not like I can make it happen overnight. Walking helps me to work on that, but I can't even enjoy my walks anymore because I don't want people to be judging me. I have a lot on my plate right now, and weight loss hasn't been able to be at the top of my list all winter. Stressful times. Now it's time for lighter clothes, and I can't even imaging wearing shorts, let alone a bathing suit. UGH.
  • Maybe this will help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89GB7z_Ogt0
  • Quote: Maybe this will help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89GB7z_Ogt0
    Totally made me smile. Thanks!
  • I hear ya!

We had someone in my office out on medical leave for 4 months and when she came back she had lost a bunch of weight (she was already small) and that made my weight gain seem that much larger, but I'm thinking it only seemed larger in my eyes. The people I work with are wonderful in that they know I've gained weight, but they are so nonchalant about it. They just take it as part of me.

It's my family that is the problem for me. Mainly older family member "Oh honey, don't you think you look better when you aren't so heavy?"

I want to just say "Well, DUH, gran, but hey, that's the way I am right now."

He he he...just picturing her reaction to that is priceless!

THAT VIDEO IS AWESOME!!

Personally, I'm more of a Queen, 'Fat Bottom Girls' kind of chick, but yours is cool too!
  • Cute!!!
  • I love the song.
  • Healthy4life-
    I can completely empathize with feeling as though people are reacting to the way I look. I still fight with myself over some things. I am by far the biggest woman on my soccer team and sometimes I worry about that, or I wonder if people will judge me if I ride my bike to work. I have to literally talk myself into doing some things, because I think everyone's focus is on me.

I think we know rationally that no one cares if we've gained 10 pounds and that no one cares if the stranger in the park is overweight, but for me it definitely is a deterrant to attaining a goal. And that's only myself judging me. I hope you will feel better about things. The only advice I could offer is to smile and be your lovely self. It's been my experience that people mostly respond to a smile with a smile.
    hugs,
    Tam
  • Quote: How do you cope with it when someone "notices" that you've gained weight? I'm so self-conscious as it is about it, and I'm trying to lose, but I can tell when people who haven't seen me for a while notice that I've put on 15 pounds. I hate to even go walking anymore for fear of people seeing my fat self. On a brighter note, I seem to be tolerating budeprion XL (generic Wellbutrin XL) okay. I moved up to 300 mg the other day and am hoping I can tolerate it. Any suggestions on how to not "care" when I see that look on peoples' faces? I'm working on it, but it's not like I can make it happen overnight. Walking helps me to work on that, but I can't even enjoy my walks anymore because I don't want people to be judging me. I have a lot on my plate right now, and weight loss hasn't been able to be at the top of my list all winter. Stressful times. Now it's time for lighter clothes, and I can't even imaging wearing shorts, let alone a bathing suit. UGH.
    I'm sorry you were feeling down, are you feeling better now? Still tolerating the Wellbutrin XL? When I was switched to Wellbutrin, I was finally able to care enough to commit to working on getting fitter and smaller. I hope it helps you too

on how to cope when you feel that others are judging you...it's hard if you let it bother you, it should help that YOU know you are doing something, and to h*ll with them! I have seen 'that look', even worse I learned my employers made petty comments about my weight gain (and my gain wasn't huge, it was 20 lbs.) It's none of anyone's d*mn business, is it. But I once hid from seeing someone, because I didn't want them to see me, how much bigger I had become. We can take that shame and get more depressed, or take it and try to make ourselves better.
  • feeling bad about my overweight self
    I first feel very bad, but it gives me motivation to focus on my diet and workout harder.
  • Hello again. I've been on the Wellbutrin XL now for almost a month. I have to say I think it is working. I have some trouble sleeping at night, but I have more energy during the day. I have lost 4 pounds, woo-hoo!. Still not enough that anyone else can notice, but I'm doing this for me anyway, right? Still trying to get over my "hiding" mode. I am so self-conscious it's not even funny. I can't keep this up or I will not enjoy the spring/summer. Thanks for reminding me that most people notice "ME", my bright smile, my kindness (mostly everything but my weight). Thanks for the tips and hugs!
  • Quote: Hello again. I've been on the Wellbutrin XL now for almost a month. I have to say I think it is working. I have some trouble sleeping at night, but I have more energy during the day. I have lost 4 pounds, woo-hoo!. Still not enough that anyone else can notice, but I'm doing this for me anyway, right? Still trying to get over my "hiding" mode. I am so self-conscious it's not even funny. I can't keep this up or I will not enjoy the spring/summer. Thanks for reminding me that most people notice "ME", my bright smile, my kindness (mostly everything but my weight). Thanks for the tips and hugs!
    Glad to hear you're feeling better. After being on Wellbutrin for about 5 years, I'm starting to wean myself off by taking a lower dosage. You're doing hard work. You are here, getting support, taking action, getting healthier! You have every reason to be proud, so don't hide yourself!
  • I'm glad to hear back from you, that you are feeling better!! and 4 pounds is a big start! Yay to you!