Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Closed Thread

Old 03-27-2002, 10:08 AM   #1  

Angry Wellbutrin and Weight Loss

I just started taking Wellbutrin SR ...along with Zoloft....I am taking one in the morning and a Zoloft at night...after two weeks my doctors wants me to start 1 in the morning and 1 in the after noon..plus the Zoloft at night.How long doe sit take before I will notice weight loss...and to feel better....would love to stay in touch with someone with the same problems...
e-mail me [email protected]
Old 04-04-2002, 08:09 AM   #2  

Angry

I don't really know how long it will take. Do you count points? I take Wellbutrin but, I'm hypothyroid so I take synthroid also which makes it very difficult to loose. I slso start my day in the afternoon so my points begin with the evening meal. That's helped me more than anything I've lost 5lbs in 5 weeks doing it that way.
Old 04-04-2002, 05:20 PM   #3  

Hi all,

Lady Coors...I am on Wellbutrin, 150 mg once a day, (not as a weight loss med though)... and Petunia....I also have hypothyroidism and have been on meds for 17 years...I have to say that I have seen no difference in weight while on the Wellbutrin and it's been almost three months, but that's not why I am taking it however, it would of been a bonus lol. Maybe it's just me but I don't think it is the remedy for weight loss. The only thing that works for me, and I have to WORK so hard at it, is constant exercise along with a good diet like WW.

Don't rely on the drugs...they are not a cure for weight loss. Life style changes, food portioning and exercise is the way to go.

Take care and good luck Meg
Old 04-05-2002, 07:35 PM   #4  

Default Wellbutrin and Weight Loss

Wellbutrin and Weight Loss
I have been on Wellbutrin for more than two yrs. and have never known it to be used for weight loss. It did help me quit smoking, though.
Old 04-06-2002, 07:54 PM   #5  

I have been on wellbutrin for appetite control specifically. It seemed to take a long time to kick in i.e. months but now hunger is not an issue. I was really hungry and was having a hard time staying with reasonable portion sizes. Now thats not a problem.
Old 04-09-2002, 08:41 PM   #6  

I've worked in the med. field forever and always joke about Wellbutrin. It not only makes one happy, it makes one quit smoking and also skinny. Must say, I've yet to see anyone specifically lose alot of weight while on it. When I have patients come in who say they don't eat while they are upset, I always wish that was me-but no..........it's the opposite.
debbie
Old 04-09-2002, 10:19 PM   #7  

I've been on 450 mg of Wellbutrin for about 5 months...I've noticed a change in my appetite, but I'm not losing weight...I guess we have to face the truth...we MUST excercise if we want to drop this weight.
Old 04-21-2002, 11:35 PM   #8  

Default wellbu-crack :)

I was on wellbutrin 2 years ago for (I guess) depression. The doctor, of course, told me I also might quit smoking while on it. I didn't, but I did lose about 8 pounds in a month with no intentions of doing so, falling rom 145 to 137 while normally I am usually stable, dieting or gaining. NOT THAT I WOULD RECOMMEND IT FOR THAT. I felt like I might as well be snorting cocaine -- I was in high gear for sure, chatting and smoking like a fiend, ready to rip everyone's head off, no appetite, and couldn't sleep. She added more drugs (and more side effects), and I finally gave it up. I hope to find a good solution for medication, but this was not it for me.
Old 05-03-2002, 07:52 PM   #9  

Default for bunny blues

often dr.s put us on meds. in order for us to get to the point in which we are able to participate in therapy of some sort. my dr. has said i'm readdy for months, but i just don;t feel it yet.

No matter you med. decision i hope you are recieving help. I too thought the meds. were making me craz7 and i did not want to deal eith the stigma of being crazy any more. but i found out 3 years later i still needed help. i was just shoving all those hurts further in.

I'd love to hear from you,
bender
Old 05-07-2002, 04:59 PM   #10  

Default Wellbutrin

My OB-GYN called it the"happy, healthy, and horny pill" I have heard that in other places BUT she( my OB is a woman) gave it to me for weight loss I strongly suspect that the 150SR that I am taking is not enough and I need to up the dose. She wrote the script almost a year before I started taking it. I did not start taking it until the week after 9-11 and that was a depression issue rather than a weight issue; eventhough I was starting to resemble Jabba-the-Hutt( and actually am at an all time weight high--lucky me!)

I am certain that getting off the sofa and doing something other than getting online would be immensely helpful and just to help matter along my husband just was downsized so now we both have to go to work to earn what he was earning by himself because as we all know health insurance is collected by the DEVIL.

BTW: I am also hypothyroid and my internist knew for three years and did not tell me because I refused to take Meridia and when he told me if I did not take a diet drug he would not give me a thyroid script we came to a parting of the ways( that is a mild understatement!)

Roni
Closed Thread