Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 12-09-2008, 10:38 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 365/270/160

Height: 5"11'

Default I miss loving winter...

So...I have been diagnosed with depression...bipolar...whatever else they have in text books...but I've never felt anything like this.

Ever since it got cold here I don't even want to breathe. I've been sticking with my workouts but it's riding a really thin line. I have to lie to myself to get my half hour of cardio in! It's like 'I'll just do five minutes...I'll just do five more minutes...' ...I dunno. It's so frustrating. I don't want to clean my house or my car...I sleep from the time I get home till it's time for work. Does anyone have some at home methods for easing SAD? I'd really owe ya one..
TheTinGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 02:02 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 230/ticker/120

Height: 5'2

Have you ever tried light therapy? This is actually supposed to help seasonal affective disorder.

I remember hearing something about this l and I have heard it actually helps. I have also read it can be done at home as well.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/light-therapy/MY00195

Here is what it says about it

Definition
Light therapy is a way to treat seasonal affective disorder, depression and certain other conditions by exposure to bright artificial light. During light therapy, you sit or work near a device called a light therapy box. The light therapy box gives off bright light that mimics natural outdoor light.

Exposure to bright light from a light therapy box is thought to alter your circadian rhythms and suppress your body's natural release of melatonin. Together, these cause biochemical changes in your brain that help reduce or control symptoms of seasonal affective disorder and other conditions. Light therapy is also known as bright light therapy or phototherapy.

NEXT: Why it's done Light therapy is one of the many ways to treat a variety of mental disorders and conditions affected by time changes or shift changes, especially seasonal affective disorder. The light box used in light therapy emits a type and intensity of light that isn't found in normal household lighting. So simply sitting in front of a lamp in your living room is unlikely to relieve your seasonal affective disorder symptoms or other problems.

Similarly, a light box delivers brighter, more focused light than you can find outdoors, which makes it more effective than trying to get enough light exposure by spending time outside — especially on gloomy days.

When to consider light therapy
Light therapy may be a treatment option for you if:

You don't want to take medications such as antidepressants
You can't tolerate the side effects of antidepressants
You've tried antidepressants but they haven't been effective
You want an alternative to psychotherapy
You're pregnant or breast-feeding and are concerned about the effects of antidepressants on your developing fetus or baby
You don't have insurance coverage for mental health services
You lack access to mental health services
Conditions light therapy may help
Conditions and problems that may benefit from light therapy include:

Seasonal affective disorder
Nonseasonal types of depression
Obsessive-compulsive disorder
Premenstrual dysphoric disorder
Postpartum depression
Jet lag
Certain sleep disorders
Shift-work problems
Keep in mind that light therapy hasn't officially been approved by the Food and Drug Administration as a treatment for seasonal affective disorder or other conditions. But many mental health providers consider light therapy the main seasonal affective disorder treatment.

The site has all kinds of info, like risks and etc...

I hope this helps.
Jonsgurl0531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 09:03 AM   #3  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Ditto's on the Light Therapy. Check this out.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...73&postcount=7

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=156589

Last edited by Leenie; 12-10-2008 at 09:04 AM.
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 11:06 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 200/190/165

Height: 5'9

Go get the book Mood Cure, it's great, has natural ideas for depression including SAD. I GET IT BAD. But so far it's only come and gone this season... I've been doing St. John's Wort, Fish Oil, super healthy eating with lots of protein like turkey (high in tripto.). Plus EXERCISE they say is great for depression. I have a light lamp and someone said her Dr. said to do it 30-45 min every am and that helps. If I get worse I'll do that. If it's sunny I'll go sit outside or go walk for 10-20 min to get some light too.
horsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 11:59 PM   #5  
Loser :-)

S/C/G: 273/251/175

Height: 5ft8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTinGirl View Post
So...I have been diagnosed with depression...bipolar...whatever else they have in text books...but I've never felt anything like this.

Ever since it got cold here I don't even want to breathe. I've been sticking with my workouts but it's riding a really thin line. I have to lie to myself to get my half hour of cardio in! It's like 'I'll just do five minutes...I'll just do five more minutes...' ...I dunno. It's so frustrating. I don't want to clean my house or my car...I sleep from the time I get home till it's time for work. Does anyone have some at home methods for easing SAD? I'd really owe ya one..

There is some concern that light therapy can induce a manic phase in people with bipolar. I'd check with your Psychiatrist before you spend any money on a unit.
Michelle98272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 01:42 PM   #6  
Being A Better Me!

S/C/G: 211/191/150lbs

Height: 5'5"

Hot cocoa and a nice wood fire... or a fake one (it still has the impression).
migotokokoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 04:24 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 365/270/160

Height: 5"11'

Thanks for everyone's ideas. My friend has one of those so I tried it out...i think it did make me manic. :/ But I will keep looking!
TheTinGirl is offline   Reply With Quote