Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Closed Thread

Old 04-23-2002, 04:20 PM   #1  

Angry Hi I'm new!

Hi there,
I'm Sarah!!

I am going through some real tough times lately...think I'm suffering from PPD. I have my first appt with a therapist on Thursday. Wish me well. I kind of feel like I have failed as a human being. What gets us to this point?

I haven't been able to do well on my WW plan. I was thinking that once I feel better I can consentrate (sp?) on me.
But if they put me on meds (from what I'm reading here) I'm going to gain more?!?!

I can't deal with that!

Hope you are all doing well!
Well time to play with baby (just turned one yesterday!)
Old 04-23-2002, 05:53 PM   #2  
Cookin' With A Vengeance!

WELCOME SARAH!!!!!!!

First of all, YOU ARE NOT A FAILURE AS A HUMAN BEING!!!!! You are a human being who is feeling a lot of pain right now. Good for you for caring about yourself enough to see a therapist!!! The therapist may or may not put you on medication. You can discuss your fears about gaining more weight when (or if) you discuss medications. I think that you are right, that when you feel a little better about yourself it will be easier to take care of yourself.

Second of all-Congratulations on baby turning one!!! Mine are now 15 and 12, but I remember their first birthdays like they were yesterday!! Yesterday was my sister's birthday too!! My doctor told me that it takes around a year for hormones to normalize after delivery, and I know a lot of people here had more problems with depression after they had children. It is wonderful being a mother, but it is also a BIG life adjustment, and is just plain hard sometimes!!!

So give yourself a break, and recognize all the wonderful things you are doing right now!!! I do wish you well, and I hope you post often!! (It really helps!!)
Old 04-23-2002, 08:18 PM   #3  
Gonna do it this time!

hi Sarah-

welcome to the group! Just wanted to let you know that you have taken a large step in trying to get help for your depression.

I am not a mom (yet) but no one can fail as a human who has a heart to raise another.

hang in there!

Berta
Old 04-24-2002, 11:36 AM   #4  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Hi Sara, Welcome,

Please know that you are among friends. I just recently went on Zoloft and so far no weight gain (its been about a month). I feel much better and plan on buckeling down on my weight issues.

You are not a failure....failures are people who never try, and by the sound of your post, your a WINNER !!!!!!

Hang with us, we'll keep you on your toes

Love, Leens

PS I have a 8 month old daughter and boy did I go thru the baby blues..........pheeeeeeew.
Old 04-25-2002, 04:24 PM   #5  
Super Star

Hey sarah and all

I had it bad with my pregnancy of my second child. I took prozac during my preganancy. I think that if I hadnt I do not know what would have come of me. I was so low..so incredible low. being a mom is so tremendously emotional. I mean all of the hope, terror, love and exhasutiin hitting you in the face. And on top of it..you are supposed to be joyous and thin?? What did your gyno say??i hope he is ehlping you. It is important that you find time for yourself. Hard to do but if they hubby accompies you to the guyno and he explans ti..it will go over better. Chin up...It does go away!!
Closed Thread