3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Depression and Weight Issues (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/depression-weight-issues-76/)
-   -   From Depression to Happiness - which non-drug solution worked for you? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/depression-weight-issues/155821-depression-happiness-non-drug-solution-worked-you.html)

TammySmiley 11-06-2008 09:02 PM

From Depression to Happiness - which non-drug solution worked for you?

Many people have a long list of meds they are taking, yet there must be someone who managed to get out of that chemical abyss

If you practiced something (technique, practice, exercise, system, person) that helped you to get out of depression - please share!

:yoga:

Tammy.

Thighs Be Gone 11-06-2008 09:05 PM

for me it was exercise, whole foods diet mostly and proper sleep...I have previously been on Zoloft

TammySmiley 11-06-2008 09:12 PM

Ok, thanks!
did you find that you needed lots of will power to keep following good routine or was it easy to maintain?
Also - did you experience "lapses" and "recoveries" cycles or was it less challenging?

T.

Thighs Be Gone 11-06-2008 09:15 PM

Once I made myself do it for a week or two and started seeing results on the scale, I continued. I felt better within 3 or 4 weeks. Last Spring I was actually to the point I didn't want to get out of the bed.

Thighs Be Gone 11-06-2008 09:16 PM

I have not experienced any lapses per se. There are days I feel a bit blue but it isn't anything debilitating--the way it was before.

zenor77 11-06-2008 09:18 PM

I still had to "take" pills, but not traditional pharmaceutical drugs. What worked for me was a combination of fish oil (omega-3s are very important in regards to depression), a whole foods diet, lots of water, and some lifestyle changes. I also for short periods of time (when high stress hits) take 100-200mgs of Rhodiola Rosea (a Russian herb that helps your body deal with stress.)

The lifestyle changes I made, besides dietary changes, were getting rid of our TV, making sure I get at least 8 hours of sleep (9 is better), exercising (I walk), and being aware of my reactions and planning accordingly.

I have to be honest here, getting rid of our TV helped me so much. The house is so much more peaceful and I have more time to accomplish other things. We still watch some things online, but we watch when we want, not when the tv schedule dictates. I don't ever want to own a tv again.

Thighs Be Gone 11-06-2008 09:20 PM

Also taking a high-quality fish oil here. I also eat fish (Omega 3 type) at least 3x a week--sometimes daily.

However, I have a 50-inch plasma in my bedroom. :)

Billies Pottery 11-06-2008 09:21 PM

Hi,
After being depressed for years, i found that fish oil supplements helped me a lot. I don't take them anymore and don't have a problem anymore, but i would do it again.
My daughter had a bit of a depression when she was about 10... i'm sad to say there is no doubt in my mind that she learned depression-type behavior from me. Anyway, i gave her cod liver oil every day for a few months and it helped her too.
(i can't believe the stuff i admit on this site) :faint:
I have also definitely found that a regular exercise routine is very uplifting.

Billies Pottery 11-06-2008 09:24 PM

Oh, yoga is great, too! It is relaxing and strengthening at the same time, both for your body and your mind.

mandalinn82 11-06-2008 09:38 PM

1. Exercise. Heavy, heavy exercise
2. Not cutting refined carbs. Honestly, a little carb is good for serotonin levels
3. Omega-3s. Specifically DHA and EPA (I take a supplement)

KRy172 11-06-2008 10:01 PM

Meeting my husband really gave me the strength to get off the meds and to realize I was happy for once in my life.

I noticed that I was slipping back into depression before I started my weight loss journey. I must say, losing weight and EXERCISING has helped tremendously. It I get down or stressed out going to the gym does wonders.

TammySmiley 11-07-2008 10:19 AM

Also animals - our favorite pets helps greatly to get rid of stress as well.

http://www.smileysweet.com/smileys/house_window.gif

looloo86 11-26-2008 11:16 AM

going out and meeting your old friends really helps me
also shopping is very relaxing and helps me deal with depression
sometimes a nice shower and lotion afer a workout helps
as for food sadly choclate does the trick for me but i'll try taking omega3 supplements instead

wantingtolose 11-26-2008 11:43 AM

Right now, I'm on meds, but last time i was depressed i managed to exercise and eat healthy and it really helped. so did doing the things that can be so hard when you are depressed; going outside, meeting with friends, taking care of yourself. I have heard fish oil's mentioned a lot of different places, and hear they work for a lot of people. I haven't tried them, but it is a suggestion.

karenann33 11-26-2008 06:03 PM

I CAN beat it with diet, exercise and supplements as mentioned in the book Depression Free Naturally. Only problem is I'm under so much stress that I keep relapsing and depending on junk food to get me thru the day which puts me back in depression. But I also have NO support either. Dh works all the time and I have no family nearby. It's hard.