3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Depression and Weight Issues (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/depression-weight-issues-76/)
-   -   zoloft (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/depression-weight-issues/155131-zoloft.html)

ghost 10-28-2008 08:12 PM

zoloft

Has anybody ever actually LOST weight on zoloft? It is listed as a side effect for the drug but I keep finding websites and forums talking about weight gain with the drug. My physician suggested I begin taking 50 mg of zoloft. I'm concerned that it may interfere with my weight loss.

sct 10-29-2008 02:27 PM

I lost weight on zoloft. It also made sleeping difficult and suppressed my appetite. I was very skinny already at the time, barely eating due to anxiety and depression and so I didn't lose much weight because there just wasn't much extra left to lose. I hardly ever felt hungry and I had to remind myself to eat so I wouldn't get too weak. I don't know how much of that was my mental state at the time and how much of it was the zoloft. But once I got to feeling better, I still didn't gain any weight while on it. I know i'm an exception to the rule in this regard. Obviously everyone is gonna react to meds differently so you'll just have to see what it does to you.

fatmad 11-02-2008 08:01 PM

zoloft effects

Several years ago, I was having chronic neck pain after a car accident, and my doc put me on zoloft to help with the pain. It worked very well ( I still have a happy memory of my first pain free hour, 2 days after taking it for the first time) and I was able to become pain free.
With the chronic pain I was also had a bad temper, and was miserable.
It really helped my mood too. I did have some trouble sleeping, and had some jitters, but tried taking it in the morning and that was better.
After a couple of months, I realized I had lost weight. I wasn't really struggling with my weight at the time, ( I was about 150 lbs, a bit overweight, but I wasn't worried about it) and got down to 140 in 2 months without trying. It also had the pleasant side effect of mild urinary retention, and since I had a mild incontinence issue,:o I was perfectly happy with that. :D
I gained the weight back slowly after weaning off. The incontinence returned.:(
3 years ago I started to have problems with depression. I tried the zoloft again, and the effects were not the same. It made me sleepy, no jitters, and no effects on weight. Also, I had had surgery for the incontinence, and wound up getting repeated bladder infections because of the urinary retention. :stress:
Effexor was the same.
I am now on wellbutrin, since the urinary effects are minimal, but I am not sure of the effects on my depression, (my temper is flaring a lot these days too) or appetite or libido.

fatmad

karenann33 11-04-2008 07:26 PM

I lost my appetite on Zoloft so yes I lost weight however it made me incredibly sleepy so what was the point? LOL!! I quit taking it because sleeping 15 hours a day isn't possible when you have 3 kids. Sigh...

Tigerfan 11-05-2008 08:11 AM

Zoloft can have some very nasty side effects at first. I have been back on my meds since Oct 6th and have lost 12 pounds. Zoloft makes me extremely tired all day long and then I have trouble sleeping at night. It also makes me feel a little sick to my stomach so I don't eat. I also just don't seem to have the desire to eat anything. The good news is the side effects go away after a couple of weeks. However, I still don't feel any great desire to eat. That could be because I am an emotional eater and the zoloft has helped curb those feelings.

ETA: I am also on 50 mg a day. My friend just started with the same dose and is going through the exact same side effects and having weight loss.

HTHs you!

Skinnycow 05-29-2009 02:41 PM

I lost weight when I first started on Zoloft. I just didn't feel like eating.