Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 06-27-2008, 12:05 PM   #1  

S/C/G: SEE TICKER

Height: 5'4"

Default Seasonal Affective Disorder?

Hello All,
I have been diagnosed with depression an anxiety, and live in the Sacramento valley. My concern is with all this smoke in the air!

All the wildfires in the area has deposited a thick layer of smoke in the valley for the last 3 or 4 days, making it look like fog in the winter. I have also noticed that my mood lately hasn't been so upbeat. I feel listless, and I don't want to do anything! I feel like giving up on everthing, espcially my diet! I want to comfort eat- pleeeeeaaaassseee! I will admit to eating a half of a medium pizza last night and washed it down with lots of milk(skim is all I had). I need to clean the house because BIL is comming to town and I am planning a family dinner. I am dreading the housework and am anxious about the dinner (my chest is tighting as I write this). Now I feel like crying.

I guess I need some encouragement, so feeling defeated, I humbly ask for help.
HoneyMustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 12:35 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Hey there -

I'm in Davis, so I am DEFINITELY feeling your pain. I've been trying to avoid the smoke as much as possible, and organizing my window blinds etc. to get as much light in here as possible. It's BRIGHT outside, just sort of fogged over, so you can get some natural light.

I've found that getting started on cleaning is the hardest part...Once I start, I get excited (yes, EXCITED) to see my home environment get brighter, lighter, and cleaner.

Try thinking of the cleaning as doing something GOOD for yourself and your home, and look at it as a way to comfort and take care of yourself. Rather than eating pizza or other comfort eating, take care of yourself by making your home and your life brighter.

Just changing the thinking around that can make a world of difference.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 12:47 PM   #3  

Thanks mandalinn, and your right about cleaning. We just moved into a beautifull house and I usually do feel better when my house, especially the kitchen is cleaned.

As for light: it's the reason I'm homebound. I have a light blindness and I have to put on very dark sunglasses just to see the outside. I must say, with skys being darkened, I can see a litter better with the windows open.
Old 06-27-2008, 12:59 PM   #4  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I consider cleaning my house almost a "house-blessing"...I'm devoting my time and energy to making my home, where I spend all my time (I work from home, so I REALLY am surrounded by it all day) as clean and comfortable as possible. Thinking of it that way, you can almost (but not quite!) convince yourself that cleaning is a relaxing, soothing way to spend your day.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 01:10 PM   #5  

Ok... I put on some new age music, seems to be helping. it really wouldn't take long to clean just the kitchen. And if I sweep and mop the floors, I will definatly burn calories.

Boy I talk a big game, if only I backed up what I said. This is a big reason I don't make promises anymore, not even to myself.
Old 06-27-2008, 03:04 PM   #6  
Just keep moving ...

S/C/G: 241/238/140

Height: Just short enough (aka 5'4")

Ugh - I feel for you chickies in CA. I was in Montana the summer of 2000, when basically the whole flippin state was on fire for the entire month of August. All that smoke can be BRUTAL. Bear in mind that smoke-filled air has less oxygen in it, which may be adding to your feeling drained of energy. You won't be able to do as much as you think you normally can - your cardiovascular capacity really takes a beating without the normal air (sorta like going to a high altitude). And also, shortness of breath can really push your anxiety trigger buttons, at least it does for me.

Hang in there!
Amarie2pt0 is offline   Reply With Quote