Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Closed Thread

Old 04-08-2002, 01:50 AM   #1  

Wink New Chick on the Board

Hello,

This is new to me, first time posting on a board - I am here because I need help. I dont want to sound tragic, but I am so disapointed that I cant find a weightloss program that I can stick with! I want so bad, not to be thin but to be healthy, but everytime I try. I fail- I am 5.1' on a good hair day and my weight is a scary 220 lbs. My friends laugh because I have a library of weightloss books, tapes,videos, article clippings, you name it I have it. And I just continue to gain.... I am on a anti depressant have been for almost 6 years- I also have a thyroid disorder I take medication for it.

I am hoping that if I can make contact with real people with the same strugles, maybe I can get motivated and most of all stay motivated.

Any ideas? What is out there that is real and doable? I have the hardest time sticking with anything I find myself getting confused, is it fat counting, calories, no carbs? You get the idea?

I am a single mom of two very active children, and I want to be able to keep up. Most of all I want to feel good about myself, I think then I can be a better mom , daughter, sister , friend.......

I just want to feel good about myself, I hold myself accountable at work and I wish I could do the same for my personal growth and happiness. Well... Thanks for letting me ramble

Bye, Bye

Lil Sis
Old 04-08-2002, 03:52 PM   #2  
Cookin' With A Vengeance!

Talking

HI LIL SIS!!

I am 4' 11", and started out at 225, so i understand what you are saying!! I am also taking anti-deppresants.

This site is wonderful, a lot of VERY supportive people. I'd suggest looking around, seeing which thread makes you feel good/welcome, and sticking with it!! I have been posting on 40+ moving and losing, and I like it there very much. (It is under Buddy Up) I started out doing low cal, and started binging, so now I am trying low carb. It seems like everybody needs a different plan, so I would say just try something, and if it isn't right for you, try something else!! Get in the exercise no matter what you do (I should talk, I'm working on this one myself!!), That will really help you keep up with the kids.

WELCOME and DON'T GIVE UP!!!!!!!
Old 04-08-2002, 05:18 PM   #3  
novabsolute

S/C/G: 220/207/120

Height: 5.2

Thumbs down

Hi lil Sis,

I have just been cruzin around readin posts, I too post at 40 something movin and losing. By the way we are all differnt ages there!! a very excellent group of women, fun, rowdy, motivated and we are losin those pounds right and left!!!

I hate people being sad! please dont be! we have all struggled with the ups and downs of sticking with it. I am 5.2 and Last June I weighed 225. I am now 186. I know you can do it and posting here is a good strong step. it keeps you focused and helps you stay acountable. we never ever judge! Motivate, encourage, support we'll stick it out with you! I am not following a plan... partly because of where I live. Also its a learning process for me! I am staying lowcal... lots of veggies, fruit, lean meats leaving out the processed junk, sugars etc.. and watching those nibbles. You know just good old common sense. I try not to get to hung up on all the things you read it can be Very frustrating... i think you can learn alot from all those books, maybe formulate something that works for you.You can do it lil Sis.. Come on pull yourself up again and dust off those knees, grab my hand I really want you to succeed!!! You deserve it! hope to see you soon. Kriss
Old 04-08-2002, 06:57 PM   #4  

Height: 5'-2"

Hi Lil Sis!

I can sympathize with you completely. I've been taking ani-depressants for about 5 years. Most of the time they work, but when they don't... I sleep and eat.
I've been doing Weight Watcher's, and while it's worked for me in the past, right now I just can't get back on track. I know exactly how you're feeling. In fact, would someone help ME?
What do you think would help you? Why don't you set up some sort of plan for yourself, tell us about it, and give us daily updates on how you're doing?
Even if you just follow the National food guideline (or whatever it's called) and add 10 minutes of exercise to your day...
We're here to listen to each other and offer encouragement... that's what this is all about.
Take care... write soon
Ellis
Old 04-09-2002, 01:05 AM   #5  

Talking Thank You!

Thank You ladies! I was so excited to here from all of you.

The encouragement feels so good- I am going to figure some kind of plan and I will share it- and if you will listen I will type! lol=)

I woke up this morning, with the feeling like I could do anything. I made a huge effort to just be aware of my thoughts and my feelings when I was hungry- I made better choices, I guess I just need to take one day at a time. And remember that it took me awhile to get this size.

Any ideas on what kind of excercise to get started with? Where I live it rains a lot so walking is a hit and miss option.

My son is a huge motivator, as soon as the sun comes up he wants to know if we can go for a walk? Bless his heart! Usually my answer is "NO" or some reason why tonight is not good.

I am the queen of excercise excuses!

Thanks again for the advice, I will visit the 40+ site sounds like a goodtime!

and to my bestest friend in the world (you know who you are=}) I Love You!

Bye ladies, hope to here from you soon!

Lil sis
Old 04-09-2002, 01:55 AM   #6  

where is the 40 and losing site?
Old 04-09-2002, 07:50 AM   #7  

Hi Lil sis, Dentrassi, and Kriss!

Kriss, it sounds like you've lost a good chunk of weight... keep it up!

Lil Sis... I know exactly what you're saying about exercising. I'm the same. Will it help if I tell you what to do? It's an order.

You live in a rainy city, huh? Okay, get yourself some rain gear. You know, some cool splash pants (I got some army-type pants with lots of pockets in them.), and a rain jacket with a hood or hat. No umbrellas. Umbrellas are for going to work with. Something you're comfortable in and something that looks good.
If you can't afford it (I know THAT feeling, too!), start putting a little bit of money aside for it while you look around at what you can buy. If I added up all of the money I spend on snacks every week, I'd find I could buy a heck of a lot of USEFUL stuff instead!!

Now, start walking... the heck with the weather. You live in a rainy city, and you are ADAPTABLE! You don't have to be the sluggish, chubby woman you are now. You are strong, beautiful, inspired...
At least 10 minutes a day walking to start. And if you get it over with in the morning, you'll feel good all day. If you leave it until the evening, you'll never do it.

And write down your diet and exercise plan, because I need some inspiration.

cheers, Ellis
Old 04-09-2002, 05:58 PM   #8  
novabsolute

S/C/G: 220/207/120

Height: 5.2

Smile

Hey Gurlz,

Lil Sis,You deserve that fresh air, rainfall on the face! What could be better for a lovely complexion! I agree with Ellis whole heartedly!! Get out there and stomp in the puddles!! What I'd give to do that with my son!! I live where its too too too hot to walk a large part of the year... well maybe I could bu t not my son!!

Hiya Den!!!

I've gotta run just wanted to stop in and say hidy, I deal with depression alot...I dont know if dealing with it is what I do? anyway it has nearly shut me down a few times...I am feeling pretty good these days due to a new outlook on life. I would love to give all the support I can, just leanding an ear , sticking close by, i know that weight is not healthy emotionally or physically, lets lose it!!

Ellis, I would love to help you, I dont know how? Just know that I am here rootin for ya, I know you will get started again!! when you are ready, Its just a matter of making up your mind to do it and take it step by step, day by day, goal by goal, no beating yourself up.. NOT ALLOWED!!!

Good luck to you all! Kriss
Old 04-09-2002, 06:35 PM   #9  

Default Welcome Sis

Hi lil Sis,

I am glad your found the site. I think you will find a nice group of supportive ladies. I've been on anti depressants pretty much continously since 1994, so I know what it is like. I also gained about 50 pounds on my second anti depressant ( effexor) and am now working on getting them off with a new one. I don't necessarily blame the drug for my weight; I blame me for not seeing how big I was getting and not doing anything.

Right now I am counting calories using software, and exercising 5 days a week... I do tapes, so I cannot make any excuses about the weather!! I never thought the day would come I would say this, but I miss the exercise when I don't do it. I don't particularly like the sweating part. What I do love is the endorphins!! It gives me such a mood lift, I sometimes want to skip I feel so good.

You are right when you say.. take it one day at a time. I don't deny myself any food... that is setting yourself up for failure. What I do do is, portion it out.. the first bite tastes exactly the same as the 20th bite

I hope you will look around the site and find a plan that is right for you.
Old 04-09-2002, 11:42 PM   #10  

Talking Kriss and Ellis

Hello Kriss, Ellis, Linda T and Big Sis too........

How goes it Ladies... You are so right about the complexion thing, no walking in the rain is an excuse! Like I said I am the Queen of Excuses and they are like bottoms we all have em! lol

I love this site, making new friends with the same or similar issues is comforting, sometimes I feel way alone.

Thanks for the encouragement! I'm going to look around maybe I will find somthing that is gonna work.

Have any of you read the Get with the Program ?- By Bob Green Oprah's trainer and friend?

Tell me what you think? Hope you all are doing well !

Kriss, I am so there! Lets lose it, keep in touch

Linda T , Thanks girl, for the pep talk. What software do you use ?

Ellis, Thanks Im going to print and hang up your response! And I think I will get up and do my Leslie Sansome video- I know this girl that has lost 130lbs. Thanks

Dentrassi- How are things? how is the low carb stratagy going?
let me know! Good luck Always

Asta Girls!

Lil Sis
Old 04-09-2002, 11:46 PM   #11  

HI LILSIS!!! I see you found us at 40+ Moving & Losing!! Keep posting, it REALLY helps!! I've been making a lot of excuses about exercise too. Walking is always good. If you can't do it outside, you can do it at a mall or something. Harder to do that with the kids though, they tend to get distracted by the merchandise. Unlike me; I just get down to business. (OOH!! I just told a BIG one!!!)

Kriss-glad to see you here!! I read your post over on 40+. It sounds like you had a nice day at the market. It sounds fascinating. Wish I could visit!!

Ellis-HIYA!! When I was doing a lot of walking I wore a plastic rain parka. Camping style. By the time I got home some days I was SWEATING PROFUSELY!!! Kind of like a roving sauna!!

Linda-You are right about those endorphins. When I was exercising regularly I was feeling SO much better!! Got into a funk and gave up...Oh well! Time to get going again!!
Old 04-09-2002, 11:48 PM   #12  

Hey LilSis, we were posting at the same time!! So far so good on the low carb thing. 2 days in!!!
Old 04-10-2002, 12:02 AM   #13  

Default Software

Lil Sis,

I use software called Dietwatch. Unfortunately, this program is no longer free.. I just was lucky enough to have downloaded it before they started charging. I do know of some other software. From what I have read, they are adaptable to other types of programs, like low carb.. etc./ Most of them have a free trial period, but then you would have to pay.

http://www.dietpower.com/ is one site
http://www.caloriecompanion.com/ is another

There are a few others, like http://www.fitday.com/

I am sure there are more, but my tired old brain cannot remember them all.
Old 04-10-2002, 08:10 AM   #14  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Linda you having a brain fart ?

I know exactly what you mean Lil Sis, every day I start my diet and by dinner I've ruined it. Its very frustrating. I need to lose about 70 lbs and rising.

I am on Zoloft and so far so good, I do feel better so I'm hoping somthing in this air head of mine will finally work. I can't afford to buy any more BIGGER sizes.

Great you can join us.

Love, Leens
Old 04-10-2002, 09:46 AM   #15  

Hi everyone!

Kriss, what hot place do you live in? Oh my gosh... I just looked... Sudan! Wow. I know NOTHING about Sudan. (except that it's very hot) Kriss, your encouragement alone helps me. Thank you. I know I can only do it when I'm really ready. And please tell us a little bit about Sudan.

But... good news... went for my second bike ride yesterday! 25 minutes, and I went at a fairly good pace. I'm starting to feel good about myself again. Now if I could just stop cramming food in my mouth...

Me too, Leens... I always start out well in the morning. I start to die about mid-afternoon (carb-cravings), and even if I make it through dinner, I'm stuffing myself with snack food in the evening. If I could fall asleep immediately after dinner, I'd be fine until the next day.

Dentrassi, I love your "roving sauna". Are you going to start walking again, soon?

LindaT, I know what you mean about the endorphins! What a high! I jogged for 10 years in my late teens/early 20's, and now I know it was helping me get through my bouts of depression.

Lil Sis, dear... where is your diet and exercise plan? I'm anxiously awaiting it. If you think I'm going to sit here and not bug you about it, think again!

Have a healthy, fitness filled day everyone!
Closed Thread