Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 07-31-2008, 03:36 PM   #1  

Height: 5'7"

Default St. John's Wort?

Have any of you tried SJW for depression? I sort of want to try it before I see a doctor for meds, but I wanted to see if I'm barking up the wrong tree...
knitta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 05:20 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 246(s)/238(c)/130(g)

Height: 5'4"

i know people that have used it an it did help them but they eventually went to prescribed meds. Depends on what you are wanting it for and needing it for: just to stabalize moods, have anger issues (snap for stupid reasons), crying, or just plain depressed. If you are just having mood swings nothing big then I would say give it a shot but if you are past that and further into depression then I would say go to the drs. I actually was kinda ok REALLY hesitant about going to the dr to get help because my husband was totally against any kinds of drugs. Almost two years ago when i first started meds I was just snapping off the handle left and right for no reason and becoming worse the longer I waited so i got help and had wish i had got help a lot sooner. Now I am only on them because i was crying constantly over everything after my last baby...

I think a lot of things contribute to depression and the things that go with it...such as stress in your life, your weight, clutter in your house, not enough sleep, not enough vitamins, not eatin healthy. Sometimes all those things do not get fixed right away either. So if those things are causing your depression symptoms then I would suggest getting on something that is going to help you with deal with them so you can fix the things that are not going right. Because before this is what was happening I would get up and look at the clutter (not bad clutter just toys, clothes & papers) and just lay down on the couch cause it would depress me to even look at it therefore I was in a cycle of everyday being depressed automatically.

Ok I hope that I made sense and helped a little!!!
momof4under5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 07:58 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 210

Height: 5ft7in

I would see how your doc feels about it
Pixiesue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 08:45 PM   #4  

Height: 5'6"

I did the st.john's wort before seeing a doc. And I did find one brand that actually helped me, but then they changed and that brand didn't do it anymore. One problem with herbs like that is that there isn't any regulations, so you never really know what you are getting. Unless you go to a naturalpath or herbalist its hit and miss. I tried a lot of different things from the health food store and I still ended up at the docs and getting a prescription. Plus you still have to be careful of side effects with St. John's wort, so its not totally risk free.
K
buddly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 02:25 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 181/168/115

Height: 5'3

I tried looking to buy some in the health store but oddly they didnt have any...is this something I have to buy online?
lightafterdark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 10:40 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 186/142/135

Height: 5'2

I've used this on occasion and it works. I found it gave me a bad taste in my mouth though if I took it before bed.
hopefully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 07:30 AM   #7  
Registered Diva

S/C/G: 172/142/119

Height: 5'5

It works wonders for my anxiety. I can focus more easily now and control my moods better. Also, it's easier to control my impuses when I take it. I really like it.
And I agree, it changes heavily depending on brands.
lointhecity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 09:00 AM   #8  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

I was on St. John's Wort for a number of years. It was basically self-prescribed, although I told my doctor about it and she had no problem with it. She said it is more widely used to treatment of depression in Europe (I think she specifically quoted Germany) than in North America.

I have to say that SJW was a life-saviour to me. It helped me a lot but after a couple of years (I really don't recall how long I was on it - probably 3 years) I felt it was no longer working for me so I weaned myself off and then my dr. put me on Wellbutrin. I was on that for about 4 years and same story - it longer did nothing for me so I quit taking it. I have not been taking anything for depression since the beginning of 2007. I may have to start something again because I don't sleep well and my dr. says she would either have to put on an anti-depressant or sleep medication, so we will see. Otherwise, I feel fine and I actually feel that weight loss is the best anti-depressant.

Editing to add:
Somebody mentioned side-effects - I actually don't think there are that many. One known side affect is that you are more susceptible to sun damage if on SJW, so just keep that in mind if going to the beach is your thing. I am very fair-skinned, I have rosacea (although it is mostly dormant) and I have never been a sun worshipper. You will typically find me in the deepest shade that there is, so it was not anything I had to worry about. I can't remember if it somehow affects the pill but I was not on it so again a non-issue for me.

Also, stick to the same brand as there can be a big difference of how much you are actually getting when switching between brands.

Last edited by Tomato; 08-21-2008 at 09:03 AM.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 02:38 PM   #9  
Buzzy little bee

S/C/G: 203/174/153

Height: 5ft 6

SJW can also affect the contraceptive pill, so it's worth seeing your Doc if you're on the pill.

Boo x
DeliciousBoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 06:05 PM   #10  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixiesue View Post
I would see how your doc feels about it
Ditto's

Any OTC should be discussed with your doctor before taking. I'm not sure if SJWort is even regulated by the fda.. so BE CAREFUL.

Leenie
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 11:52 AM   #11  

Check with your doctor before taking it if you are on any prescribed drugs. After I started taking a drug for my heart, I couldn't take SJW.
Tippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 12:06 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Why do people think that SJW isn't a med?

Taking SJW for depression is NO different than taking a prescribed med - it's just self-prescribed. No, I take that back - it's different in that it's not a regulated dose, depending on where you buy it, the strength of the herb, etc.

People have this weird mindset that they won't go to the doctor and get a regulated, balanced, measured dose of medicine because that would be "taking meds" but they'll buy unregulated "herbs" and that's somehow not medicinal because it's "natural".

Meds are meds - whether you grow them yourself and self-medicate or whether you get them from a doctor and a pharmacy.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 12:11 PM   #13  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoChick View Post
Why do people think that SJW isn't a med?

Taking SJW for depression is NO different than taking a prescribed med - it's just self-prescribed. No, I take that back - it's different in that it's not a regulated dose, depending on where you buy it, the strength of the herb, etc.

People have this weird mindset that they won't go to the doctor and get a regulated, balanced, measured dose of medicine because that would be "taking meds" but they'll buy unregulated "herbs" and that's somehow not medicinal because it's "natural".

Meds are meds - whether you grow them yourself and self-medicate or whether you get them from a doctor and a pharmacy.

I hope that's not directed to me. Like I said, I did start take it on my own decision but I did tell my doctor about it and had her blessings. I not a person who has an issue with depression - to me, it is an illness like any other. I do,however, prefer to take herbs than regular medication and that is why I started with St. John's Wort. But when I felt it was no longer working for me, off to my doctor I went and got a prescription for Wellbutrin.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 12:18 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

It's not directed towards any one person ... just in general. But I will respond to this that you said:

Quote:
I do,however, prefer to take herbs than regular medication
Why? Do you think that taking herbs is different from taking meds?

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 01:08 PM   #15  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

I wouldn't say I suffer from depressions on a regular basis but sometimes I am a little down and have taken St. John's Wart and it works wonders. It has really helped me on some bad days... I used to take it a few times a year and always keep a bottle on hand.

BUT IT DOES make birth control not as effective so I stopped taking it. I never knew it effect the pill but when I found out I stopped taking it. But my depression was never bad, it is just a once in a while down in the dumps kinda thing.
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote