3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Depression and Weight Issues (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/depression-weight-issues-76/)
-   -   Newbie with depression and anxiety (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/depression-weight-issues/131501-newbie-depression-anxiety.html)

aprilmay 01-15-2008 07:20 PM

Newbie with depression and anxiety

Hey eveybody,

I have had severe anxiety and panic attacks for as long as I can remember. At 17 my doctor put me on Paxil but it just wasn't helping as well after 13 years.

After being diagnosed with depression in November by my new doctor he put me on Effexor and Buspar and I have noticed a difference. I'm sleeping better and am not having as many bad thougts.

He also suggested I start walking for my mental health. That it clears the head and makes the blood flow. I thought "yeah right, just another doctor telling me to lose weight", but I gave it a try.

The walking really does make me feel better. I do the "Walk Slim" DVD three times a week, and the stretching every day. Sure, I have to force myself to do it if I'm tired. But afterwards I feel pretty darn good.

You can now count me in as a believer in the power of exercise.

VermontMom 01-15-2008 08:17 PM

I'm so glad that you're being helped :hug: and good for you for doing that walk so often! Even when you don't feel like it. That's when it's the hardest, isn't it!

bassetbabe 01-16-2008 01:08 PM

Exercise is definitely good for your mental health. Getting some of that nervous energy (I have anxiety and panic also) can really help with that. Glad you found some benefits from it other than just weight loss!

Amarie2pt0 01-16-2008 05:07 PM

I'm so glad the new meds are helping - that is wonderful, and you're doing wonderfully with your walking! Goodness me. You've ispired me, I'm definately going to take a walk after work! :running:

Anyway, welcome :welcome2:

sunflowergirl68 02-06-2008 05:50 AM

Xanax saved my life.

Every generation is defined my a drug.

The 50s, it was pot.

In the 60s, it was acid and pot.

The 70s, LSD and coke.

the 80s, coke.

The 90s, X

And in the 2000s? Prescription drugs.

Dont get me wrong, I take xanax almost daily. I really dont want to take it but i just have so much anxiety which I tried to cure with alcohol but that didnt work. i just wish i could cure it without drugs (well not all drugs).

bassetbabe 02-09-2008 09:54 AM

I agree that exercise has its benefits. I'm totally addicted to Yoga. I tried it after I got a DVD at Christmas. Its something I can do anywhere with or without a TV. I love it. It helps to calm me and make me feel stronger (some of those poses aren't easy).

This spring, we're back to walking. I need it, but so do the dogs too LOL