Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 07-09-2007, 10:12 AM   #1  

Default Lamotrigine/Lamictal - Any Stories?

Hey,

I'm epileptic, and following my most recent seizure I elected to go on medication. I got Lemotrigine aka Lamictal, which I was OK about because it doesnt have "weight gain!" listed in Side Effects. Yes...I'm shallow.

HOWEVER...just found out its also a med given sometimes for Bipolar disorder/depression! Wow, I've had that for ages, so hopefully itll help my mental state, not just stop my seizures.

Anyone have experience of this drug for either epilepsy, depression or both?

emily
xxx
CousinRockingChair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 01:44 PM   #2  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Hi Emily,

I'm sorry I can't answer your questions but I'm sure some one will chime in soon.

How are you feeling so far on the new meds? Oh and trust me, your not shallow for not wanting to gain weight anyone who has taken any sort of anti meds, I'm sure can say the same thing.

Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 01:50 PM   #3  
Co-Mod

S/C/G: 272/129/127

Oh, I had questions about Lamictal a while back and the responses were generally postive.
But, I took it and had to stop during the first week because the insomnia was too much to bear and I was having bizarre thoughts. So, in the end it didn't work out for me.

Caveat!: Check your skin to make sure you don't develop the icky deadly rash that can come with it!
shrinkingchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 03:07 PM   #4  

Well I've only had one day on it thus far, and I dont think im having any side effects...lets hope, eh!

Sorry to hear it wasnt trhe one for you, charlotte...and im keeping an eye out for the rash!
thank you both for reading/replying

emily
xxx
Old 07-11-2007, 02:25 PM   #5  
Co-Mod

S/C/G: 272/129/127

Here ya go Emily: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112015

Do a search on this forum and you'll find other threads I'm sure.
shrinkingchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 10:28 PM   #6  

Height: 5'4"

I take Lamictal for BiPolar Ii and it has been WONDERFUL !!! I also take anxiety meds and several other meds as needed for manic episodes - but this has been the one med that really helped me. I was literally non functioning this past winter and I am so much better now.
witchyonadiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 06:39 AM   #7  

thats encouraging to hear! thanks for posting it
Old 07-22-2007, 01:54 PM   #8  

I used to know someone who was on lactimal for bipolar. diod the trick for him.
sarahgrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 03:55 PM   #9  
Life's tough Get a helmet

S/C/G: 195/195/145

Height: 5'3"

i take lamictal for bipolar and it has worked wonders for me. i also take zoloft for anxiety. the combination so far has really helped me. the lamictal made me a little nauseated at first so be sure to eat breakfast or something with it.

the doctor says that the insomnia will go away once the zoloft fully kicks in. i hope it does. in the meantime ambien works well. i know it sounds like a lot of meds but trust me it has really improved my quality of life. good luck!
Spunkster5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 04:27 PM   #10  

hey, I take lamotragine for my bipolar, i have found it nothing but helpful, It maybe because I am on a high dose. I know of several others that also take it for their bipolar and have found it useful.
Laineyt75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 08:43 AM   #11  

I'm encouraged! I have found that whn I up the dose (as you know you have to load it up slowly) for the next few days I feel very agitated..it does pass though.

emily
xxx
Old 08-14-2007, 12:59 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 274/167/175

Height: 6'0"

I suffered with depression for years---my doctor just kept raising my Celexa. Finally, we talked about Bipolar II last year, and he started me on my Lamictal. Amazing change--no depression, irritability, mood swings ANYTHING. I can't believe the difference.

And, now we are working to slowly get me off the Celexa, as I don't appear to need it with the Lamictal working so well. And since dropping my dose of Celexa, my weight loss seems easier, as I feel more active.
Brisco444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 08:42 AM   #13  

Wow congrats on the med success!!

emily
xxx
Old 08-24-2007, 01:03 AM   #14  

I take lamictal, as well. I do notice that when I've increased my dosage, that my anxiety level goes up for a couple of weeks. I haven't had any bad side effects. But, we'll see. I've only been on it for two months now.
unfilteredme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 09:00 AM   #15  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

The deadly skin rash is called Stevens Johnson's syndrome, and is very rare.
Wikipedia says 1 case per million per year. There are several causes, but most often allergic reactions to certain medications and radiation therapy for cancer.

I had a coworker whose brother got it in reaction to penicillin. It was the first time I had ever heard of it. She said it started with what he thought was an unexplained "burn." It was the first case of it his doctor had ever seen, so it took a while to be diagnosed (meanwhile he was still taking the penicillin, which was making it worse).

It's not something I think has to be worried about. But just kept in mind in terms of seeing your doctor right away if you do get unexplained blisters or sores.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote