Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 03-26-2007, 05:46 PM   #1  
RN

Default Wellbutrin & Lexapro

I tried taking Wellbutrin and Lexapro for 3 weeks, and found myself to be anxious and irritable, so I quit the Wellbutrin. Well, I'm in a situation where I'm willing to give it another try, and I was wondering what kind of experiences you all may have had.

Any info is greatly appreciated!
flowerbunnylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 10:22 PM   #2  
Am I there yet?

S/C/G: 205/197/130

Height: 5'5"

hi there, I tried wellbutrin for generalized anxiety and secondary depression, but it made my anxiety skyrocket! I was really disappointed because I had heard many good things about wellbutrin (weight loss and increased libido for one), but a side effect listed is also increased anxiety.

I also tried Lexapro but it made me emotionally numb, and I decided I'd rather feel the highs and the lows. But everyone reacts differently to medication; the key is to find one that works for you! Good luck!
2Fat4myJeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 10:25 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

Lexapro made me absolutely flipping crazy. I was forgetting things left and right, I'd forget where I was going if I was driving, etc etc. A friend of mine couldn't stay awake when she was on it. And then for some people, it's the miracle drug. We all react differently to different drugs, the key is finding the drug or combo that works for you. Make sure you give it enough of a chance to kick in and get used to, unless it's completely terrible.
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 11:22 PM   #4  
RN

So far, the Lexapro has worked quite well, with really no side effects that I've noticed. But, the depression isn't quite gone, and I'm maxed out on my dose. This is where the Wellbutrin comes in. I think I remember my psych mentioning that it can cause anxiety, but usually after a month the anxiety goes away. So I just can't decide if it's worth another try. He seemed quite disappointed that I quit it in the first place.

I just want my motivation back. KWIM?

Thanks for the replies. It's nice to know there are people out there.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:31 PM   #5  
greenhouse

S/C/G: 197/191/132

Height: 5'3"

the Lexapro has been tremendously helpful for me. I had such chronic and intense anxiety was really debilitating and fueling so much of my emotional eating.

This thread proves how these psychotropic drugs really vary with the individual....I guess we just need to pay attention to what our body tells us...
ggreenhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 11:50 PM   #6  
RN

Lexapro took me from suicidal ideation to the ability to function. And then we added Geodon, and my anxiety level (along with my nausea, GERD, etc.) dropped big time. These drugs have been a lifesaver for me, literally! I just find I have lost my motivation to exercise and eat right. I'm not interested in the things I normally in, and I'm sleeping a lot. I think I still need more for depression. I see my psych in 2 weeks, so I'm going to talk to him about it.

The last time I took Wellbutrin, I had something emotionally traumatic happen to me, and my fight or flight response kicked in. I'm not sure if it was the Wellbutrin or just the emotional situation.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:28 AM   #7  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

Lexapro (20 mg) is working for me. I tried the generic substitution to try to save myself the $80 a month (no insurance) but the generic definitely was NOT the same for me, so I'm back to Lexapro.

I agree, it will be different for everyone! I hope you find something that truly makes you feel better
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 05:36 PM   #8  
RN

Good for you! I'm glad the Lexapro is working. I really like it too, and refuse to give it up. I just think I need to add something else.

Do you all think my previous posts would indicate I'm still having some issues with depression? I ask myself this a lot, but it's hard to be objective, KWIM? DH thinks I may still be a little depressed.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:00 PM   #9  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

flowerbunnylove, I still have bad days...but they're not as near as often as before. Like a really bad day or two per month. And I'm not on the verge of tears, ALL the time, as I was before.

I'm not sure how much better I can get...I guess it varies with everyone...is anyone ever truly cured? I don't know...I hope you can get some answers better than mine
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 09:02 PM   #10  
RN

Quote:
Originally Posted by VermontMom View Post
flowerbunnylove, I still have bad days...but they're not as near as often as before. Like a really bad day or two per month. And I'm not on the verge of tears, ALL the time, as I was before.

I'm not sure how much better I can get...I guess it varies with everyone...is anyone ever truly cured? I don't know...I hope you can get some answers better than mine
LOL I like your smilies!

I don't know if anyone is ever really cured either. I guess people can have acute episodes of depression and only have to take meds for a short time, but I'm pretty sure that doesn't apply to us.

I'm kind of where you are - I'm not on the verge of crying all of the time. I think it's totally normal for anyone to have a couple of lousy days every month, depressed or not. I just feel like this insidious gloominess is slowly moving in. But I'm not giving up the Lexapro. It's helped too much!
Old 03-28-2007, 08:15 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowerbunnylove View Post
Good for you! I'm glad the Lexapro is working. I really like it too, and refuse to give it up. I just think I need to add something else.

Do you all think my previous posts would indicate I'm still having some issues with depression? I ask myself this a lot, but it's hard to be objective, KWIM? DH thinks I may still be a little depressed.
Based on what you've said here, I would agree that you're still not out of the woods re: the depression. As for the wellbutrin, that's a tougher question... I guess it all boils down to whether or not you can stand the 4 to 6 weeks of anxiety while you're waiting to see what happens.
lilith9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 09:08 PM   #12  
RN

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilith9 View Post
Based on what you've said here, I would agree that you're still not out of the woods re: the depression. As for the wellbutrin, that's a tougher question... I guess it all boils down to whether or not you can stand the 4 to 6 weeks of anxiety while you're waiting to see what happens.
It's a tough call for me. I think I'm just going to put it all in my psych's hands, and see what he thinks. That's what he's there for, right? lol
Old 03-30-2007, 09:55 AM   #13  
princess of power

S/C/G: 262.8/253.8/140

Height: 5'4"

I had been on Wellbutrin in the past, during a very stressful time (while planning my wedding!) and I think it made me more anxious & irritable, so I went off of it.

Now I take Celexa, not Lexapro, but these are very similar medications. Celexa was the precursor to Lexapro. I've been diagnosed with both generalized anxiety disorder as well as depression, and the Celexa really helped my anxiety and it helped my depression to an extent, but it made me feel very sluggish. My doctor then added Wellbutrin XR for me to take first thing in the morning. My anxiety is a little higher now, but not by much, and I feel quite a bit more energetic and less apathetic than I did on *just* Celexa.
shrinkadink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 03:49 PM   #14  
RN

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrinkadink View Post
I had been on Wellbutrin in the past, during a very stressful time (while planning my wedding!) and I think it made me more anxious & irritable, so I went off of it.

Now I take Celexa, not Lexapro, but these are very similar medications. Celexa was the precursor to Lexapro. I've been diagnosed with both generalized anxiety disorder as well as depression, and the Celexa really helped my anxiety and it helped my depression to an extent, but it made me feel very sluggish. My doctor then added Wellbutrin XR for me to take first thing in the morning. My anxiety is a little higher now, but not by much, and I feel quite a bit more energetic and less apathetic than I did on *just* Celexa.
From what I've read, people seem to like the Wellbutrin XR better than just the regular Wellbutrin, so maybe I'll give that a try. I'm aware of the Celexa/Lexapro link, and I'm taking Lexapro for the same reasons you're taking Celexa. I'm also taking something for anxiety. If it only made your anxiety go up a little bit, and counteracted sluggishness (which I definitely have), then it's worth it for me to give it a try. I need to do something!

Thanks for the reply.