Crockpot Tomato Sauce

• Into crockpot put:

2 cans tomatoes, either whole or diced
    1 can tomato paste (sugar free)
    1 small onion chopped
    1 carrot, diced
    2 stalks chopped celery
    2 cloves garlic
    Also, whatever you want to get rid of zuchinni, spinach, left over beans, etc.
    salt and pepper to taste
    dried basil or oregano
    1 tablespoon wine vinegar
    like my sauce on the spicy side so I add 1/2 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes.

I usually cook it overnight in the crock pot and then use my immersion blender. Let cool and refrigerate. Be sure to refrigerate it as soon as it cools so the sauce won't go bad on you. I have kept it up to a week in the fridge and used it for various recipes.
  • Tomato sauce from fresh tomatoes
    Just wanted to update here instead of starting a new thread...

I have been cranking out tomato sauce from our overload of fresh tomatoes. I have made this with the abundance of heirloom tomatoes from the CSA that were getting too ripe (including about half cherry tomatoes) as well as regular ol' tomatoes that are really cheap right now. These are NOT Roma tomatoes, which would be best, so the cooking time is much longer since they have a lot of liquid.

Here is the VERY PRECISE recipe:
    • A lot of tomatoes
    • Olive oil
    • Sea salt (I used 1/2 teaspoon to make it fairly low sodium - 880 mg for the entire batch)
    • Black pepper & cayenne pepper to taste
    • Herbs to taste: I used fresh basil, oregano and thyme, kept on their stems and submerged in the sauce
    • Crushed garlic to taste (I used two big cloves to a pot but you could go waaay higher)
    • Optional, other veggies as desired:
      • Onions
      • Carrots (I added 3, cut in chunks, vanishes in the final sauce - Would make this Phase 2 though)
      • Cauliflower (a nice surprise addition, vanishes in the sauce)
      • Bell peppers
      • Mushrooms (I haven't tried but I want to; I would slice and add in the last hour or so AFTER pureeing the rest)
      • Like sophie said, probably pretty much anything you want - this is a great way to sneak in vegetables for those who don't eat enough; everything I have tried so far is undetectable
    Coat the crockpot with a drizzle of olive oil. Cut up a bunch of ripe tomatoes (I don't peel first since I put it through a food mill later) and fill the crockpot to the brim. Turn on high and leave the lid off. Add optional veggies in the beginning or later when the sauce is thicker. Peppers maybe should go in near the end; my crockpot cookbooks say that they get bitter if they cook for a really long time, but I threw mine in from the start.

Soon there will be chunks of tomatoes floating in juice. Just let it be, stirring occasionally until it thickens up nicely. The skins will become easy to remove so you can pick them all out and puree the sauce later or do what I do, which is leave them all in and put the whole thing through a food mill.

I cooked my last batch ~24 hours (they were REALLY juicy tomatoes), adding garlic, salt, pepper and herbs in the last two hours. NOTE: I have a really old crockpot so maybe it doesn't get as hot as the newer ones... I used big sprigs of herbs and immersed them, removing them in the end (I don't like slimy basil in my sauce) so it is kind of an herbal infusion.

Run the sauce through a food mill, then return to the crockpot to thicken further if needed. I cook mine until a path drawn through the sauce with a spoon remains.

This sauce is INSANELY delicious with every version I have made - just tomato, tomato/carrot, tomato/carrot/cauliflower/pepper - and surprisingly low sodium, considering how high the store-bought sauces are.

I have frozen this and I think I will be enjoying this sauce for months to come.
  • Good morning, I just came across this, sounds wonderful as you would not be bothered with the scorching that comes with stove top long term simmering. I also garden and have had lots of tomatoes to deal with at the end of the season. If I understood correctly, you cook yours uncovered the entire time?Thanks for sharing. Linda
  • I make huge pots of sauce, jar them, then put one in the fridge and the rest in the freezer.
  • This is ancient history, but just for posterity...

Quote: If I understood correctly, you cook yours uncovered the entire time?
    Yes, the lid is off. There is so much liquid to evaporate to make sauce!

Quote: I make huge pots of sauce, jar them, then put one in the fridge and the rest in the freezer.
    Me too! I used freezer bags for the ones in the freezer though. My freezer was full.