3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Cooking Tips and Questions (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/cooking-tips-questions-142/)
-   -   Dieters who hate to cook (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/cooking-tips-questions/233714-dieters-who-hate-cook.html)

Beach Patrol 05-20-2011 01:29 PM

Dieters who hate to cook

Yeah, um, that would be me. :o

Seriously, I hate cooking. I am not good at it. I can do it, but I hate it. I hate it worse than anything on the planet (as far as domesticity goes). I avoid it at all costs. One of my favorite phrases is "The only reason I have a kitchen is coz it came with the house!" Usually when cooking is done in my house, it's my husband doing it.

So my diet consists of very little cooking. Not to say that I eat a lot of processed foods - I don't. Mostly frozen veggies that I can pop in the mike, (my current fav is Green Giant Healthy Vision) lots of fresh fruit & raw foods (sliced tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers of a various style) and yeah, I might throw a few skinless chicken breasts in the oven & use them throughout the week for protein purposes, but in general I.DO.NOT.COOK.

How do you other non-cookers handle your specific menus?

JayEll 05-20-2011 01:40 PM

Like you, I cook maybe once a day, mostly with the microwave. :lol: And I'll also do up a batch of chicken breasts, lean pork chops, etc. to use the rest of the week--along with steamed broccoli, steamed summer squash. The rest is microwave, eating out, or foods that don't need cooking like deli meats, cheeses, packaged bars, etc.

Jay

Beach Patrol 05-20-2011 01:43 PM

Hey JayEll! :wave:

I'm just glad to know I'm not the only one... so many people seem to be chef-worthy... and I'm soooooo .... NOT. :rofl:

DixC Chix 05-20-2011 01:57 PM

I cook several servings of fresh or frozen veggies to last a few days. I use my george foreman grill for most meat. I love loaded sandwiches.

NEMom 05-20-2011 02:03 PM

I do not cook. Don't like to cook and honestly, I am not very good at it. My DH does most all the cooking too.
I eat really simple things if I have to cook for myself, lots of microwave meals (low cal), salads, egg in the microwave, veggies and fruits.
I can feed myself but my kids shudder when dad is not home to cook dinner.

Cali Doll 05-20-2011 02:12 PM

Yeah, I still wonder how I got through this weight loss. I. Do. Not. Cook.

Like you, I *can* make some things, but I don't like to, most times. If I try to make something new and it comes out good, I'm usually shocked.

I'm just not one of those cooking-inclined folks. It doesn't come naturally for me. Most times, I have to follow recipes. That's how I got through the first year of weight loss. I cooked a lot, but I'd find recipes off of the Weight Watchers website and follow them precisely. I have to laugh when I think of how many times I had to ask a co-worker "What is this ingredient??" and "Where do I find it??".

I get so nervous if someone is going to eat something I've cooked.

stacygee 05-20-2011 02:29 PM

You know I hate to cook, too. I eat a salad for dinner every night and I've been grilling my protein most nights. I have also decided that I am pretty much done with cookbooks and recipes. The less ingredients the easier to count the calories. My new eating style is actually BETTER for my hatred of cooking!

sapphire9 05-20-2011 02:55 PM

I'm a lifelong non-cook. I'm single and have never had to cook for anyone, although I've occasionally made attempts. Just not fun to cook for one and too many dishes and pots to wash afterwards. I don't have a microwave but am fortunate to live in a city where there are plenty of prepared foods, both healthy and not, available -- at a price, of course. Despite my non-cooking status, I save interesting recipes and watch the Food Channel. I'm a "Chopped" addict.

Laura G 05-20-2011 03:09 PM

Well, I can cook, but I hate to do it. So my new favorite thig is Ziploc steamer bags. Wash some fresh vegies, toss them in the bag, put bag in microwave, and presto, perfectly steamed vegies. To shake things up a bit, I'll occasionally throw some spice into the bag with the veg - like red chilies, or black pepper. Brussel sprouts done up in the steam bag with a spray of cooking oil and some red chilies are delicious!
I'm thankful my dh is not fussy (to him opening a can of spaghetti-o's and eating it cold out of the can is haute cuisine/fine dining!) and I'm thankful my mom lives with us. She is very creative in the kitchen and most days will do the lion's share of the cooking.

Beach Patrol 05-20-2011 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laura G (Post 3858404)
Well, I can cook, but I hate to do it. So my new favorite thig is Ziploc steamer bags. Wash some fresh vegies, toss them in the bag, put bag in microwave, and presto, perfectly steamed vegies.

COOL!!! :cool: I have not heard of these! Thanks for the tip!! -I'll get some of those this weekend and rustle up some of my own steamed fresh veggies! (But I'm sure I'll still buy the Green Giant Healthy Visions... it's just so yummy!) :D

Nola Celeste 05-20-2011 03:59 PM

I like to cook, but my husband's worked as a chef, so he's better at it than I am by a fairly long stretch. I definitely advocate marrying someone who likes to cook--and it sounds like you have that part covered! :D

Although I do like to cook, there are a lot of days that I just plain don't feel like it. Roasting is a great option for non-cooks, as you can roast a whole huge mess of chopped vegetables at once and eat them alongside other meals throughout the week. You only have to heat your kitchen once, you only need one big cookie sheet or baking pan, you don't need any spices beyond salt and pepper (but you can add more if you like) and you don't have to watch over the stuff closely. It's perfect non-cook cooking. :)

I do this once or twice a week and eat roasted sweet potato wedges instead of dessert or throw some roasted acorn squash alongside a sandwich or a bowl of prepared soup to bulk up the meal and add some nutrition and flavor to it. Roasted asparagus goes with everything and tastes phenomenal compared to canned or steamed versions. I even put bacon in the oven instead of cooking it on the stove top; it comes out delicious and stays nice and flat for crumbling onto salads or flavoring sandwiches.

Other non-cooking or low-cooking options I like:

- BLT sandwiches (with the right bread and spread, they're under 300 calories)
- Pre-cooked rotisserie chickens (they're good as is or when used as a base for chicken salad/chicken enchiladas/chicken tacos/chicken anything)
- Raw chopped salads (lettuce gets boring; chopping stuff up and putting it on lettuce is less boring)

Beach Patrol 05-20-2011 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nola Celeste (Post 3858458)
I like to cook, but my husband's worked as a chef, so he's better at it than I am by a fairly long stretch. I definitely advocate marrying someone who likes to cook--and it sounds like you have that part covered! :D

My husband doesn't *like* to cook... he LIKES to *eat*! But he doesn't MIND cooking, whereas I truly hate it. So yeah, it works for us! (I do the cleaning; he hates cleaning, I don't mind it...yup, it works!)

Quote:

Although I do like to cook, there are a lot of days that I just plain don't feel like it. Roasting is a great option for non-cooks, as you can roast a whole huge mess of chopped vegetables at once and eat them alongside other meals throughout the week. You only have to heat your kitchen once, you only need one big cookie sheet or baking pan, you don't need any spices beyond salt and pepper (but you can add more if you like) and you don't have to watch over the stuff closely. It's perfect non-cook cooking. :)
Roasting! What a novel idea! I say novel, because, as a non-cook, I've honestly never thought of it!! And I'm definitely gonna give that bacon-in-the-oven thing a try! Thanks!!! :D

Eureka 05-20-2011 04:05 PM

I also hate to cook, but I force myself to do it on weekends only. I am single and cook full meals on Sat and Sun. I will eat off the leftovers all week for lunch, dinner and sometimes breakfast. That way I will only have to fix a side every once in a while. So it is microwave city during the week.

djs06 05-20-2011 10:36 PM

I hate it too. The crock pot is a good investment, and so is a George Foreman grill. I have about 8 "default" recipes, and I'm starting to get sick of them, so it's time to look for more... but let's just say I eat a LOT of chicken, sweet potato, and salad. And roasted veggies.

ShyHeather 05-21-2011 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beach Patrol (Post 3858266)
Yeah, um, that would be me. :o

Seriously, I hate cooking. I am not good at it. I can do it, but I hate it. I hate it worse than anything on the planet (as far as domesticity goes). I avoid it at all costs. One of my favorite phrases is "The only reason I have a kitchen is coz it came with the house!" Usually when cooking is done in my house, it's my husband doing it.

So my diet consists of very little cooking. Not to say that I eat a lot of processed foods - I don't. Mostly frozen veggies that I can pop in the mike, (my current fav is Green Giant Healthy Vision) lots of fresh fruit & raw foods (sliced tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers of a various style) and yeah, I might throw a few skinless chicken breasts in the oven & use them throughout the week for protein purposes, but in general I.DO.NOT.COOK.

How do you other non-cookers handle your specific menus?

I'm not big on cooking, but I know from past experience it's something I have to get back into. When I lost a lot of weight between May - November last year I made dinner for everyone, so I controlled the menu more, and made healthier meals. I also made my own meals, but still I did it in such a huge batch that it'd last the week.

I hate cooking for the worst reason, CLEAN-UP!! LOL .... I HATE doing dishes. I hate the thought of putting my hands in such filthy water, and scrubbing the pots and pans, and dishes...Sadly I'm the only one who does the dishes at this house, and I know why. When I do the dishes, they SING, they're so clean you rub a finger down the side it squeaks as though its singing. :D

JOLINA 05-21-2011 01:19 AM

Cooking is definitely not my favorite pastime. And I am not a gourmet cook.
I can't even cook a chicken. It never tastes good. So I buy a rotisserie chicken at the deli. And I can't fry an egg well either.
If I want a decent breakfast I have to go to a restaurant. And I go about once or twice a month.
The only chicken I make that tastes decent is white meat strips that I marinate in BBQ sauce overnight. Then I fry it in a pan. And that is my entire dinner. With maybe a cup of juice. I count my calories.

But I make really good spaghetti. And terrific BBQ ribs. Everybody loves it.
So about once a month I make a huge pot of spaghetti and then I freeze it in little containers. I'll eat a one serving package every day until it is all gone.
I don't like bread or crackers, so I never make sandwiches or toast.

I will not fire up a grill and cook a steak. Nothing but hamburger for me.
But I buy the best ground beef from a restaurant supplier...direct from the slaughter house.
It makes great hamburgers. And I just eat the meat..no bun and no condiments. I buy fish and steam it in a frying pan with onions and garlic. I eat only 1/4 - 1/3 pound of meat a day.
I'll eat my veggies at one meal, my meat at the next, and then juice or fruit at the next meal. A couple of times a week I eat cereal and milk.

I never make a complete meal with a main course and sides. I'm just not going to stand there for an hour and cook up a complete meal.
And cooking for the Holidays?...forget it. I am not going to ruin a holiday by slaving over a hot stove. Why would I go shopping for hours, stand for hours cooking, get a sore back and sore feet and all tired out, just because it is a tradition to have a huge homemade meal for the holidays?
No way! I go to a restaurant so I can rest and relax and enjoy the day.

Every Thanksgiving my mooch friends and relatives all want to know what I am having for dinner...hint...hint.. They want an invitation for a free meal. I tell them every year...and they never learn...that I have no intention of ruining my holiday by getting all whacked out cooking all day. Then spend another 3 hours cleaning up afterwards. I plan on relaxing and going out.

If I make mashed potatoes or sweet potatoes, that is all I eat for that meal. Same with rice. Just plain rice with some butter.

I have fruit trees and berry bushes, so I make a lot of frozen juice. That I don't mind making. Juice tastes terrific when it is homemade.
When people find out I grow all my own fruit, their eyes light up. It never fails that each one asks for free jam, some want free pies....which I don't make. Such nerve! (Fruit trees attract a lot of mooches.)
And I never make pies or jam out of the fruit...just juice. I am not going to waste my time making pies or cakes with all that added fat and flour.
But I occasionally make pancakes..potato pancakes I make in my food chopper.
I don't drink coffee or soda, just water, juice and milk. But I make mullein leaf tea. I grow my own Giant Mullein tea plants. And I drink Gatorade.
I despise cooking, and I really get fed up with all the dishes that accumulate even with the minimal amount of cooking I do.
I grow my own potatoes, green peppers, onions and garlic. I don't mind gardening, but gourmet cooking is not for me.
:^:

Lovely 05-21-2011 04:41 AM

I don't cook.

I heat food.

I tend to stick to things that don't need a lot of work. Or lordy. Things with more than like 5 steps. Long as it's "Turn oven on. Spray pan. Put thing on pan and into oven." I'm okay.

Much more than that and I'm bored.

I've never blanched a single thing in my life simply because I can't imagine heating the food up just to immediately stick it back into something cold. Talk about an unnecessary step (in my mind). :dizzy:

Most of the time I like salads and raw fruits/veggies. Simply because they're so ridiculously easy to deal with. Open fridge. Wash fruit. Eat.

Sandwiches with deli meat. Soups. Cereals. I actually like to buy grilled chicken that's pre-sliced, too... just to stick it on those salads or on wraps. >.> I'm that adverse to cooking.

I'm still managing to eat healthier without stressing too much about being a perfect chef.

costasandcroakies 05-22-2011 04:39 AM

I love to cook! But, I don't have time to cook - this is the reason for my weight gain. I am eating lots of salads and can them them pretty cheap from most fast food joints. It has been working out pretty good.

meg86 08-20-2011 10:51 AM

I don't MIND cooking only becuase I can never count calories in what other people make. I spend the whole time mentally freaking out becuase I have to ask a million questions and sometimes alter the dish.

ALSO, Hate recepies with lots of ingrediants...seriously I'm not wasting time on something that I have to have 10 spices and some weird veggie I've never used on hand.

Munchy 12-07-2011 12:49 PM

I love to cook, but I don't have the time to cook everyday. So, I cook two or three dishes on weekends (one is always a double batch of soup) and just freeze into portions. Take out a labeled portion of soup for lunch, a portion of something else for dinner. EASY!
I also make my own turkey zucchini meatballs (my daughter loves them), plus tomato sauce, enchilada sauce, homemade frozen burritos, etc when I have the time, freeze it, and pull it out when I need it.
The microwave is my best friend.

When I don't pull out a freezer meal, it's always quick meals I'm making anyway. I also roast almost all of my veggies because it's easy and delicious. Varying styles of pizza - bbq, Thai, Italian, buffalo - on flatout (takes 14 minutes total, most of that is waiting for it to bake), wraps, quick soup, (minute brown) rice and beans, curry, shirataki noodle bowls with whatever veggies I have on-hand, veggies with tomato sauce over quick cooking barley, etc.

I make my time work FOR me, not against me.

Midnightsun68 08-08-2012 11:41 PM

I'm another one who hates to cook, actually it is more a case of hating the clean up afterwards ;) so I have it worked out with a neighbor who loves to cook but really is only comfortable cooking in large quantities that I will eat dinner with her, she is also working on losing weight and needs to get her cholesterol down so it works out well.
As far as breakfast goes I have latched onto the Kellogs Fiber Plus bars and find that one of those and a glass of soy milk satisfies me.
Lunch really depends on whether I am home or not as far as what I eat so that varies.