Old 11-03-2009, 07:00 AM   #1  
on the way to skinny

S/C/G: 278/ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

Default Thanksgiving!

So I've been asked to cook a side dish or two for Thanksgiving dinner with my BF's family, and he's supposed to cook some kind of desert...

I'd LOVE for us to be able to cook something that's healthier, that I'd actually be able to eat too, but I have NO IDEA what to cook.

Any suggestions?
DivineFidelity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 07:19 AM   #2  

Height: 5'6"

This year I'm taking a roasted vegetable dish with tomato, zucchini, onion, sweet potato, and white potato in it, roasted and topped with panko. I'm also taking a lightened version of sweet potato casserole with a pecan topping, and a crustless tofu pumpkin pie.
bacilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 11:15 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 200/?/155 High:254

Height: 5'5"

I have a savory garlicky squash dish that you may like to try although some people aren't very receptive to squash dishes that aren't sweetened with brown sugar and the like so it may be a hit or miss recipe

3 and a half pounds butternut squash peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 cloves of garlic minced
2 tablespoons of minced fresh parsley
1/3 cup of grated parmesan (use the fresh grated, not the powder in the can)
sea salt and cracked black pepper to taste

In a small bowl combine the parsley, oil, garlic, salt and pepper. Drizzle over squash and toss to coat

Transfer to an ungreased shallow 2-qt. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 375-400 degrees F for 45-55 minutes or until squash is just tender. Add most of the parmesan 1/2 way through baking and stir to coat then add the rest of the parmesan cheese sprinkled over the top right at the end.

I sometimes also add fresh thyme or rosemary (I'm sure dried would be fine) to give it more of an herb flavor kick.

EDIT TO ADD: I haven't tried it but sage might be a good flavor with this as well!

Last edited by Bombe; 11-09-2009 at 11:36 AM.
Bombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 11:19 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 200/?/155 High:254

Height: 5'5"

Another of my favorites is similar but uses sweet potatoes cut up and tossed with olive oil, garlic, italian seasonings and cayenne pepper then roasted until nice and brown. I think the sweet of the potato (or the squash) pairs really well with the savory flavors.
Bombe is offline   Reply With Quote