How do you season your poultry?

• I usually use lots of cilantro on my chicken, but I need some new ideas. Salt free ideas preferably.

Soooo... What do you like to season your chicken with?

Also... I like to make ground turkey/chicken patties, but they always seem to end up dry. I usually add some tiny chopped onion, bell peppers, and egg whites. Any ideas on what I can do differently/add to them that'll help?

Thanks for any input!
  • It depends on how you're planning to cook your chicken. I read a tip somewhere online that said that if you are planning to bake, grill or roast your chicken you need to have the oven or grill on very high and cook for a short time. If you're planning to boil or steam it then it has to be on a lower temprature but cook it for longer. this helps with keeping the juices in and makes chicken breasts less stringy. I personally tried this because I love to bake my skinless boneless chicken breasts and they turned out juicy.
    For seasoning, I usually use tsp of olive oil, some rosemary, powdered garlic or fresh, salt, pepper and thats it. I replace rosemary with sweet soy sauce for an asian twist. hope this helps
  • Taco seasoning is yummy.

Cajun seasoning

Italian seasonging....

Lemon Pepper...

Hmmm I want Chicken
  • I only use SALTFREE Mrs. Dash low Southwest Chipolte, it is AWESOME if you like your chicken with a lil kick! I put it on my eggwhites veggie omelets too.
  • Here is a great, low calorie marinade for chicken:
    • 1/2 cup lemon juice
    • 3/4 tsp turmeric
    • 1/2 tsp cumin
    • 1/2 tsp allspice
    • 1 tsp olive oil
    • 1/2 tsp salt
    • 1/8 tsp ground cardamom
    • 1/8 tsp pepper
    • 3 cloves garlic

Mix it all up and marinate chicken in it for one to 24 hours. Then cook the chicken however you normally would. This makes enough marinade for 24 oz of chicken. If you divide that into six servings, the calories work out to about 15 calories per serving for the marinade.

If I'm broiling chicken in the oven, sometimes I'll put a few sprigs of fresh thyme under it and squeeze some lemon juice over it.

I also use various seasoning blends: cajon seasoning, thai seasoning, meskite seasoning, salt-free poultry seasoning. I get most of my blends from foodieloot.ecrater.com.

For turkey patties, here is a great recipe for Greek-Flavored Turkey Burgers. Without the buns, the patties come out to about 225 calories each.
  • I love plain old garlic salt and ground pepper. I usually "pam"fry my chicken breasts...when they are almost all done I throw some balsalmic vinegar in the pan and voila! So so good!!
  • I bake chicken breasts with salsa...when they're almost done, I add black beans and a sprinkle of cheese on top, broil them for a few minutes, and serve with rice or warm tortillas. Super good!!
  • Oh - and when I make ground turkey burgers, I mix in a generous amount of bbq sauce, which really helps to keep them moist/flavorful
  • Shake and Bake
    Lawry's fajita mix for fajita (no msg in it)
    seasoning salt
    lemon pepper seasoning
  • I always brine my chicken breasts. I know it sounds counterintuitive and like you'll wind up with salty chicken, but you really don't. It just helps the chicken stay moist when cooking.

Take a gallon of water, add 1/4 cup kosher salt, and whatever spices you want (I often add rosemary, bay leaves, peppercorns, allspice, any combination of things). Let the chicken brine for at least an hour and if possible, up to 4. Remove from the brine, drain, and wipe dry.

Then cook as usual. The chicken will be much moister and flavorful, but not at all salty.

• I don't remember where I heard it but someone once told me one secret of why Chick-Fil-A chicken is so good is that they brine it in pickle juice. Has anyone ever heard of brining in pickle juice or something other than salted water with spices?
  • All pickle juice is is salted water with spices. Ever made homemade pickles?

The brine for pickles is made with pickling salt (which is just a finer salt than table salt or kosher salt) and various spices, which can include dill, garlic, allspice, etc.

So you could make a pickling brine and brine your chicken in that and probably come close.

• My favorite seasoning for poultry or shrimp is Saison Completa (Complete Seasoning) from the mexican food section of the store - my boss is Cuban and this is what she uses and it's YUMMY!