Juicers? Does anyone use one?

You're on Page 2 of 2
Go to
  • Has anyone found a juicing site they like? recipes etc?
  • Quote:
    I wouldn't recommend a juicer just because it takes the fiber out of the veggies/fruits and fiber is important.
    First of all, let me just say that I WANT A VITAMIX! I have wanted one for a few years, but I never got around to getting one. I still plan to get one eventually to use for the types of drinks Nelie makes (and other uses), but...About 9 months ago, my 101 year old, sharp-as-a-tack great aunt finally acquiesced to go into a nursing home. I got her Acme Supreme Juicerator, and I LOVE IT!! This sucker is probably 30 years old; it is heavy duty, restaurant quality stainless steel, and this baby works amazingly! They sell for about 200.00 new. The juice is soooo good and so easy to make, and I too was concerned about losing all of the fiber and good stuff. So, I read a lot about it, and it turns out that while juicing does take out the insoluble fiber (stuff that cleans you out), the soluble fiber (good for your heart, etc.) REMAINS. I do eat plenty of insoluble fiber -- oatmeal, bran muffins, other veggies, fruits, grains-- so I am ok with getting an extra boost of live nutrients from juice, even though the insoluble fiber is removed. I copied and pasted a little explanation from Cherie Calbum (aka The Juice Lady - she has 2 books on juicing) that explains the fiber thing.

Also, here is her site - it has some good info on juicing in general, but I believe it is lacking in recipes because she wants you to buy her book!

]http://www.sleepawaythepounds.com/juicing/benefitsOfJuicing.shtml[/URL]

Does juice have fiber?
    Yes. Juice has soluble fiber; the insoluble fiber is removed. Whole fruits and vegetables have insoluble and soluble fiber. Both forms of fiber are very important for colon health. Soluble fiber in the form of pectin, gums, and non-starchy polysaccharides, are found in juice. That is a fact many people do not know. Soluble fiber is excellent for the digestive tract. It also helps to lower blood cholesterol levels, stabilize blood sugar, and improve good bowel bacteria.
    Science Proves Juice Has Soluble Fiber
    Maligned for years as being devoid of fiber and inferior to whole fruit and vegetables, juice is finally taking its rightful place in nutrition. Though juice does not have insoluble fiber, it does have the soluble kind in the form of gums, pectin, and non-starch polysaccharides. Look at what the studies show:

A serving of orange juice (1 cup) has approximately .19 gm soluble fiber (Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, February 2007)

Carrot juice has approximately 1.1% to 1.5% non-starch polysaccharides (fiber). (Journal of Food Science; Volume 59 Issue 6 Page 1155-1158, November 1994)

Wine (which is made from grape juice) has approximately .14 gm soluble fiber. (Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, February 2007)

Berry juice has soluble fiber in the form of non-starch polysaccharides—pectins, hemicellulose, and cellulose. (Laboratory of Food Chemistry, Department of Agrotechnology and Food Sciences, Wageningen University, P.O. Box 8129, 6700 EV Wageningen, The Netherlands; 8 November 2004.)
    Are a Most of the Nutrients Lost with the Ejected Fiber?
    No. In the past, some people thought that a significant amount of nutrients remained with the fiber that was ejected, but that theory has been disproved. The Department of Agriculture analyzed twelve fruits and found that 90 percent of the antioxidant activity was in the juice rather than the fiber. That’s why juice makes such a great supplement to a high-fiber diet.

I will post some recipes I like later, but I have to take the cat to the vet.

So, to sum up, I WANT A VITAMIX, but juicing has great nutritional properties too!
  • First try .... apple, carrot, spinach, celery. Very nice!

I'll have to work on 'ease of cleaning'. Hmmmm ...
  • Oh, I want one too. My mom has been trying to give my her sister's juicer, only I don't know what kind it is, and if it separates the fiber out (I want to keep the pulp). I don't want to finally get it, and find out it's not what I want - I have not extra storage space! I mean, she gave me a stand mixer, and it's living under my dining table But maybe I'm missing out on something good I'll have to try to remember to ask her about it today.
  • Here are 3 of my favorite recipes in the juicer

First is Dr. Oz's green drink:

2-3 large handful spinach
    about an inch ginger root
    1-2 apples
    1-2 stalks celery
    1 cuke
    1/2 lemon or lime
    1/2 cup parsley

Honestly, this tastes like green lemonade to me. I love it. You can obviously makes lots of variations on it.

Another super easy and very tasty sweet juice is carrots, apples, and a good sized chunk of ginger. For my husband and I, I use 2-3 cups carrots, 2-3 apples, and then the ginger. This is delicious.

Another is carrot, pineapple, apple, celery. Add about a tablespoon of lt. coconut milk. A tropical delight.

I juice 2-3 times per week. I use all organic veggies, and I love that I can just put the whole piece of fruit or veggie in the juices - rind, skin, and all (washed of course).