Closed Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 09:47 PM   #31  

S/C/G: 155/148/128

Height: 5'7"

Hi everyone! I actually had a good day. I kept my calories at 1200 today and rode the bike and gazelle for an hour. I am a calorie counter and I need to keep them at 1200 to see any weight loss. I also have been taking xenical for the last two weeks prescribed by my doctor. I've historically needed low calories to make a difference along with 1 hour of exercise a day. I need to exercise consistently and add water to my diet. I know I know I know I should drink water but I hate it I've flavored it with everything known to mankind and just can't get into it. Good news, had a great diet day
Old 11-28-2006, 10:09 AM   #32  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Good morning everybody!! I'm glad to see everyone is doing so well and psyched for our challenge.

It seems like we're all more or less doing the same things to lose weight. It's funny you hear so much about these stupid fad diets and nobody here is doing that. It just goes to show you just how commited we really are to changing things around PERMANENTLY. Go us.

I'm always interested in hearing specifically what other people are eating, I'm always looking for ideas, so I was hoping that maybe we could get some kind of recipe thing going here. Maybe this week we could start with breakfast, just let us know what you eat for breakfast, not that breakfast ususally needs a recipe, but I think you know what I mean.

My breakfast is boring, but I like it and it keeps me satisfied. I eat 1 cup of quaker essentials crunchy corn bran cereal with 1/2 cup of skim milk.

I used to eat 1/2 cup cooked oatmeal, which is 1/4 cup uncooked with a 3 egg-white omlette. But I thought that it was too much work. A frying pan, a pot, a bowl, a plate, a cup to scramble the eggs, yeah whatever so I switched to the cereal. Cereal for me in the past was a problem because I would not stick to the recommended portion size. But I measured it and now I'm happy to say I stick to that measly little bowlful. Actually, I do find it quite fillilng now.

Jeni you'll probaly appreciate this or at least understand it. Guess who's got pink eye again? yup can you believe it? and this time I am off to the doctor.

Have a great and healthy day everyone.
Old 11-28-2006, 10:36 AM   #33  
Suz

S/C/G: 175/128/120

Height: 5'6"

Good morning, all!

Sounds like everyone is happy, healthy and on-track, which is awesome. Now that we know where we're all coming from, we can really focus on taking our already-good choices and habits and making them even better.

I had to miss my gym time yesterday because I had to work late - - but I guess I shouldn't be too angry because I was staying late to work on one of our more heartbreaking pro bono cases (I work in a law firm). Still - I really am getting accustomed (if not addicted!) to my workouts, and when I miss them, I get cranky. Tonight, I have nothing planned and there is leftover pizza in the fridge for DH to nuke for himself for dinner, and so a nice, long workout is on the docket for the evening. It will feel sooooo good.

As far as eating goes - I didn't do awful yesterday, but I certainly could have done better. I got the munchies in the afternoon and ended up wolfing down an entire bag of popcorn... baaaad Suz!

But today is a new day, and I vow to make today and the rest of the week better. I have my Lean Cuisine for lunch today (as always), and tonight I am going to make myself an asparagus omelette with a light dusting of grated reggiano cheese for dinner when I get done at the gym. Gotta get that protein!

You know what I'm absolutey dreading? Our clients and vendors always send us food goodies during the holidays... chocolates and cookies and doughnuts and all that stuff, and it sits in the kitchen, a mere 20 feet from where I sit. I will allow myself a little bit... but the $20,000 question is when will I make myself STOP?

Urrrgh...

I will pop back later - I've got some interesting stuff I want to share but don't have the time at the moment.

Everyone have a happy, healthy day of good choices today!

p.s. - RockinRobin, IMHO means "in my humble opinion."
Old 11-28-2006, 11:38 AM   #34  
Calorie Counter

Height: 5'4"

Default snow!!

shared.jpg

Here is a pic of the kids. I hope its not too small! (click on it to make it bigger!)

Last night work was short handed and the girl (17) who I worked with is a, what is a nice way to put it, airhead...dingbat.....idiot, Oh, I was looking for nice. Oh well. We were busier than I thought we would be (I work at a restraunt). And I had to do the work of 2.5 people and she was .5 a person. So I was unable to heat up my dinner so I ate a corn dog which I made at 7:30 and ate at 9:30..... Anyway I got some exercise in which is great! Plus playing outside with the kids in the snow was so much fun!!!

RockinRobin: PINKEYE!?!? You poor thing.

My breakfast is always a protein Shake and Coffee. I am not normally a breakfast eater, but due to advice and knowledge gained from 3fc I decided to add in a protein shake.

I am going full board today. I need to get in a couple hundred more minutes for my november exercise challenge So I am going to get in a great workout today!!!

Back to basics: Water, Exercise, Eats, Daily goals.
W=80 oz
E=90 minutes
Eats=1200 cals protein shake/lean cuisene/chicken and brocoli/light yogurt/ orange
Daily Goals=Take my kids outside to play in the snow!
Old 11-28-2006, 12:21 PM   #35  
Suz

Jeni, your babies are adorable!! Love that picture.

You make a good point about breakfast. I have been skipping my Slim Fast shakes for breakfast, and I really need to start doing that again. Thank you for reminding me!!

Also, I like your W.E.E.D. thing! I think that's a great little mnemonic device to use every day.

*~*~*~*~*

What I'd like to share with you wonderful ladies is some good advice I read yesterday about goal-setting. I know we're not supposed to link to commercial sites here, so I'm just going to copy and paste the text (which comes from The Cleveland Clinic, incidentally):

Set the Right Goals
Setting effective goals is an important first step. Most people trying to lose weight focus on just that one goal: weight loss. However, the most productive areas to focus on are the dietary and exercise changes that will lead to long-term weight control. Successful weight managers are those who select two or three goals at a time that they are willing to take on.

Keep in mind that effective goals are specific, attainable, and forgiving. For example, "exercise more" is a wonderful goal, but it's not specific. "Walk five miles everyday" is specific and measurable, but is it attainable if you're just starting out? "Walk 30 minutes every day" is more attainable, but what happens if you're held up at work one day and there's a thunderstorm during your walking time another day? "Walk 30 minutes, five days each week" is specific, attainable, and forgiving.

Isn't that interesting? I'm kind of dense sometimes and need stuff like this spelled out for me! I think too often when I set goals for myself, I set myself up for failure by missing one of these components (usually the "attainable" part!), and when I fail, I feel crappy - which we all know isn't conducive to reaching our goals.

Just thought I'd share that - it really has opened up my eyes!
Old 11-28-2006, 12:22 PM   #36  
Day 1 back on plan...

S/C/G: 244/tickers/175

My Start-of-Challenge Weight: 240
My Goal Weight for January 1: 227 <~~~ my Christmas goal too but getting there and staying there will still be a Challenge

I'm just trying my hardest to cut out sugar/ eating healthier. Planning out what I'm going to eat that day to keep me honest. I do wing it sometimes but only when I feel in full control.... usually happens after I get most of the sugar out of my diet.

Last edited by Losing4another; 11-28-2006 at 12:27 PM.
Old 11-28-2006, 01:12 PM   #37  
Calorie Counter

I like that Suz! Specific, Attainable, and Forgiving!! I am going to keep that in mind when I set all my goals (daily or long term!!)
Old 11-28-2006, 02:39 PM   #38  
Angelina/Gerard is Love

S/C/G: 291.8/286.8/199

Height: 5'4 1/2

I second what Jeni said.
Old 11-28-2006, 06:00 PM   #39  
Calorie Counter

Thanks they take after their Dad!
Old 11-28-2006, 06:23 PM   #40  
a brave new me...

I'll join you chickies in the New Year's challenge... ok I admit I am obsessed with the challenge threads and am in like four of them hahahaaa. I always shoot for a pound a week because it is reasonable, healthy, and allows some wiggle room, especially important with Christmas in the picture. So my starting weight as of Monday was 167.5 and my goal weight for Jan 1 is 163.5.

I have been following Weight Watchers Flex Plan for the last several weeks and have lost about 14 pounds! Also exercising with a goal of averaging 30 minutes a day over the course of a month. I really focus on the emotional/psychological aspects of weight loss because I am convinced it is at the core of our problems, so be patient if you hear me post about such issues! I believe to be successful I must slowly and intentionally transform myself into a new person who can enjoy all foods in moderation in any environment... this is requiring some pretty painful yet very rewarding changes to my life, routine, and daily decisions. Looking forward to working towards our goals with all of you.
Old 11-28-2006, 06:58 PM   #41  

S/C/G: 155/148/128

Height: 5'7"

My breakfast plan is usually two slices of 35 cal toast with spray calorie free butter. Or high fiber Kashi cereal nuked. Nothing exciting, I'm usually in a hurry to drop off kids and get to work!

Had another great calorie day. Going to jump on the bike and gazelle. Boyd do I really want an elliptical!!!

Jcatron243- the kids are adorable!
Old 11-28-2006, 07:19 PM   #42  
Calorie Counter

Sojourner-Welcome to the Challenge!!!
Stopeating- I want an elliptical Machine too. I don't know where I would put it, but I want one!
Old 11-28-2006, 08:35 PM   #43  
Ashley

Height: 5'8"

Today, I ate three meals, had two snacks, hosted a group of friends to dinner at my house tonight, and still managed to stay at 1600 calories! Amazing how I can eat so much more food and still stay low-cal if I eat the right food Less candy and more carrots make a big difference.

During the week, I usually eat breakfast in two stages. I have a protein breakfast bar at about 6:30, along with 24 ounces of water. Then, around 9:00 I have a piece of fruit and another bottle of water. On the weekends, I usually nuke a bowl of oatmeal with chopped apricots mixed in. Either way, I try to consume no more than 300 calories before lunch.
Old 11-28-2006, 09:17 PM   #44  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I want an elliptical too!! and have absolutely no where to put it. I've never been on one, but I hear it's no pressure on the knees, which would be perfect for me.

stopeating how good/bad is that calorie free butter spray?

Sojourner it is great to have you aboard, I know you will bring a lot to the challenge and I for one am looking forward to it.

Jcat: I think you're fibbing, I think they really take after you!

Ashley, I also sometimes amaze myself at the quantity of food I am able to eat for the calories I allot myself. Hmmm, amazing what eliminating cakes, cookies and candy and adding veggies will do for one's calorie intake.
And 300 calories is EXACTLY what I stick to before lunch. That's a lot of water though, I must say.

Good night for now.
Old 11-28-2006, 10:55 PM   #45  
Suz

RockinRobin - ellipticals are GREAT, and yes, there's no stress to the knees. I have knee and back issues, so I do the recumbent bike and the elliptical machine at the gym because there is little or no shock to the joints. It's a good workout, and it feels terrific. Before buying, I recommend you "test drive" one at the gym to see how you like the feel of it. Most gyms will let you do at least one free session with no commitment to sign up.

Sojourner - I think you'll find that a lot of us here are on the same page as you are, with total life transformation as the goal rather than the "quick-fix" approach. We explored that a lot in the Thanksgiving Challenge: the reprogramming of our approach to living, eating and moving, and also the way that making good choices soon enough becomes the habit that replaces the old, unhealthy behaviors. To me, the psychology of changing one's life for the better is absolutely fascinating, and I tend to kind of wax that way, too. Glad to see you here!

Well, girls, I am absolutely knackered - I went to the gym and kicked my own butt for an hour solid, and so I'm ready for bed. Good night!

p.s. I snuck onto the scale at the gym today (bad Suz, weigh-in isn't until Friday!), and I couldn't believe what it said... I was shocked, in a GOOD way... but I don't want to change my ticker because it seemed too good to be true! If it's the same on Friday, I'll change it... I hope it is, and that it wasn't just a flukey thing!!
Closed Thread