3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Chicks up for a Challenge (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/chicks-up-challenge-159/)
-   -   Thanksgiving Challenge Weekly chat Oct 16-22 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/chicks-up-challenge/96059-thanksgiving-challenge-weekly-chat-oct-16-22-a.html)

jcatron243 10-16-2006 11:19 AM

Thanksgiving Challenge Weekly chat Oct 16-22

How is everyone? I am doing pretty good! I am a little bummed because I havent gotten to work out in almost a week. Today we are taking my 1 year old son to HOOTERS for his birthday. (courtesy of his Daddy) I would prefer not to go and I am trying to convince DH to take him to RED ROBIN. It is more of a kid atmosphere. He (meaning DH) just wants the attention. It doesn't bother me, it is just an hour and a half drive to get there.

This week is a short one and it is going to be busy, but I am going to get a workout! I can't believe that last week I had only half the workouts that I am used to. I really want to reach my Thanksgiving goal, but 12 pounds seems like way too much. Oh well I will get there someday.

flabbychic 10-16-2006 12:22 PM

GOOD MORNING!:wave:

I HAVEN'T POSTED ALL WEEEK AND THAT WAS A GOAL OF MINE.:mad: WELL IT STARTED LAST MONDAY WITH MY HUBBY COMING HOME FROM WORK SICK. BY THAT NIGHT MY TODDLER AND I WERE COUCH RIDDEN WATCHING DISNEY MOVIES AND FEELING SICKY ICKY. BY TUES MORNING ALL THREE OF US WERE FULL BLOWN SICK. I DON'T KNOW WHAT IT WAS IT FELT LIKE THE WORST COLD I HAVE EVER HAD.IT TOOK ALMOST A WEEK AND WE ARE ALL BETTER:angel:
I DIDN'T DO FITDAY ALL WEEK AND I DIDN'T WATCH WHAT I ATE. I MOSTLY ATE CARBS AND AND DIDN'T MONITOR ANYTHING.:s: :nono: TODAY I START MY TOM AND I FEEL EXTRA BLOATED FROM THE WEEK OF CARBS AND NO GYM OR ACTIVITY. SO WHAT TO DO, I WEIGH MY BLOATED SELF.:stress: :stress: :stress: 161 ......... THERE IS NO WAY I GAINED 6 POUNDS IN A WEEK AND THREE DAYS.:devil: I AM HOPING IT'S A MIXTURE OF TOM AND WATER WEIGHT FROM MY WEEK OF HIGH SALT AND CARBS.
HAS THAT EVER HAPPENED TO ANYONE???:?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
NO GYM TODAY. BECAUSE I HAVE TO GET MY HUBBY PACKED UP FOR A BIG WORK TRIP AND THAT WILL TAKE ALL DAY SINCE I DIDN'T DO LAUNDRY LAST WEEK:o :o
JCATRON- YOU HAVE 12 UNTIL THANKSGIVING AND I HAVE 12-15 DEPENDING ON HOW MUCH OF MY SCALE WEIGHT IS STAYING.:( SO WE HAVE TO LOSE 1.5-2 POUNDS A WEEK UNTIL THANKSGIVING. WE CAN DO IT. IT WILL JUST TAKE HARD WORK FOR THE REST OF THE TIME. IT WOULDN'T BE CALLED A CHALLENGE FOR NOTHING:carrot: :carrot: HOOTERS! THAT IS TO FUNNY. LET ME GUESS THAT RED ROBBIN IS EVEN CLOSER TO YOU. I THINK IT'S MEN BECAUSE MY HUBBY WENT TO TAKE OUR CAR TO THE DEALERSHIP ABOUT AN HOUR AWAY AND THERE IS EVERY RESTRAUNT YOU CAN THINK OF AROUND. WHERE DOES HE WIND UP? OH YEAH HOOTERS! HE DOESN'T EVEN EAT THAT KIND OF FOOD AND HE WENT THERE. WHO GOES TO HOOTERS FOR A SALAD?:T I COULDN'T HELP BUT LAUGH AT HIM.

OK THIS WEEK I AM BACK ON TRACK AND GOING BACK TO THE FAT SMASH DETOX TO GET BACK TO NORMAL. I JUST FEEL ICKY. I HATE TOM AND ANYHTING WITH BAD CARBS, THIS WEEK:D

RowdyBliss 10-16-2006 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcatron243 (Post 1439565)
Today we are taking my 1 year old son to HOOTERS for his birthday. (courtesy of his Daddy) I would prefer not to go and I am trying to convince DH to take him to RED ROBIN. It is more of a kid atmosphere. He (meaning DH) just wants the attention...

Hooters??? :rolleyes: ... it's your son's birthday, not your hubby's!

If you don't want to go - then don't. I learned a long time ago that sucking it up and doing things I downright don't want to do makes me and everyone around me miserable... and being miserable makes me feel awful about myself, which, as we all know, is NOT conducive to looking/feeling our best. Maybe it could be a daddy/son night, and you can have a mommy/son night for his birthday soon thereafter?

Sorry for the unsolicited advice... :headache: I really shouldn't do that... but I know what that kind of frustration feels like and it burns me a little.

Anyway, HELLO and Happy Monday to everybody! I'm feeling a little under-the weather, actually... I cooked salmon last night for dinner and I think maybe I got a bad piece because my insides turned to liquid during the night... I woke up with horrible cramps and had to sprint to the bathroom. Yuck. I guess the upshot to that is that I have NO desire whatsoever to snack today!

Breakfast: Slim-Fast canned drink thing - horrible, but easy to drink during hectic commute

Lunch - being eaten as I type this: Lean Cuisine Chicken w/Peanut Sauce - REALLY good, by the way. Lean Cuisines have come a long way! I hope it doesn't upset my tummy...

Dinner will be: Baked teriyaki/sesame chicken w/steamed snow peas and whole grain rice (made by yours truly).

And tonight is a gym night - and I will square off with the scale again... it looms in the corner of the locker room, beckoning to me: "Suuuuuuuuuz, come step on meeeeeee!" and I will do my best to resist. Weighing in only on Fridays seems to be working pretty well for me.

Of course, I can only do the gym tonight provided my stomach settles down. I don't want to have to stop my workout every five minutes to trot to the bathroom!

One thing I'm finding I have trouble with is water... as in drinking enough of it. I mean, I drink it, but I'm pretty sure I'm not getting enough... Do you all have that problem, too? How do you deal with it?

jcatron243 10-16-2006 08:23 PM

Flabbychic: welcome back! I am sorry you had a rough week. And ontop of the sickies you had to deal with a weight gain on the scale? I am sure it is just water weight. It should come off quickly with extra water.

RowdyBliss: Thanks for the advice. The main reason I didn't want to go is becauseit is an hour and a half drive. I've been there before and the food was okay and the service was good. As for the water I try to drink 80-100 oz a day but lately I am lucky if I get 64.

Okay I did give in and have a chicken sandwich...but my daughter ate my onion rings. And I only had water. Then I went to starbucks and had a nonfat no flavor latte. I am going to workout after dinner then go on a walk with my buds! I did walk a mile and a half at the mall!

sf40 10-16-2006 11:39 PM

Happy Monday!

I haven't stepped on the scale since last Thursday or Friday, but my stomach feels a bit flatter and the pants I'm wearing right now are baggy. Wish I could wear these every day; most of my other pants are too snug and I refuse to buy any in a larger size.

Hope everyone had a good weekend! I was in Vegas for a family thing and it was more fun than I expected (I am not a big Vegas fan and only go when there is some other reason). I did OK with eating and tried to fill up on veggies as much as possible. Exercise is another story. I'm really out of shape from four months of no exercise, so this weekend I didn't want to do anything (but we walked a lot). Oh well, back to it this week. :dizzy:

jcatron243: Good job on giving your onion rings to your daughter! And don't get discouraged regarding your goal. Twelve pounds is a lot, but you will get there. Keep up with the healthy eating and the exercise, it WILL make a difference!

flabbychic: Hope you're feeling better. Don't worry about the six pounds; it is likely water weight from TOM and high-sodium food. Once you get back on track with eating, it will likely disappear. I always "gain" 3-4 pounds following dinner at our favorite Mexican restaurant and lose them almost quickly if I drink sufficient water the next day.

RowdyBliss: Ooo, hope your stomach is feeling better. Regarding water, from what I've read on this site over the past year it seems that no one gets the "optimal" amount. And it's hard if you don't want to be running to the bathroom all day ... I have a large glass at work; I think it holds about 24 ounces. I try to fill it two or three times a day. Plus I make sure to drink 16 ounces in the morning before work. I taper off in the evening so I can sleep without getting up to pee at night. Some days are better than others.

flabbychic 10-17-2006 10:32 AM

Water: Take Your Weight And Divide By Two And Thats How Many Ounces Your Body Needs In A Day.

Example: Weight 160 Divide By 2 = 80 Ounces
I Got That From My Dr Long Ago. Hope That Helps!
I Myself Drink At Least 100 Ounces A Day And Nothing Over 110 Because You Will Deplete Your Natural Sodium Water Ratio Of Your Body.

I Am Doing Good Today And Am Going To Join My Hubby At His Work Trip. They Have A Great Zoo There I Can Take My Toddler So That Should Be Fun And I Will Be Back On Thurs. I Will Start Back Onthe Detox Fri And Until Then Just Cont Cxalories And Try To Be Aware Of My Eating. I Am Not Getting On The Scale Until Nov 1. The Water Weight Plus Some Should Hopefully Be Gone:) I Hate Tom! I Know The 6 Pounds Isn't " For Real" But That Was Awful To See. So I [packed The Scale Away And I Will Wiegh Nov And That Gives Me 3.5 Weeks Until Thanksgiving. I Have To Bust My Hump If I Want To Make My Final Goal By X-mas. Roughly 2 Pounds A Week!

Hope Everyone Is Doing Well!

flabbychic 10-17-2006 10:33 AM

How Is Everyone On There Goal? How Much More?

jcatron243 10-17-2006 11:53 AM

I love going to the Zoo!!! I wanted to go yesterday but the weather was only so so.

I found out yesterday that 5 of the 9 kids at my sons b-day party were sick yesterday. I guess it is a really bad bad cold. The 5 spend lots of time together. So today I am babysitting one of them, my nephew, I hate to do it, but my sister called in sick yesterday and has only been working at this job for 2 weeks. She is a single mother and I am the only one available. Time to break out the Purell (okay okay its already out I am a purell junkie) And the lysol.

As for my diet I skipped the walk last night, I had both kids asleep and got to watch tv alone with my hubby. It was nice.

Today I am going to spend at least 60 minutes working out! 20 treadmil 20 bike 20 strength training!

Flabbychick- I have heard that about water myself. I have also heard that you need to drink 64 oz + 8 oz for every 25 pounds over weight you are. So for me 64 + 8 = 72 oz per day

I did my measurements today and my butt and my belly are the same size!!! my belly has been an inch bigger than my but since I started taking measurements!!

RowdyBliss 10-17-2006 02:36 PM

Discipline, thy name is RowdyBliss

Okay, so my stomach woes did not subside last night, forcing me to skip my Monday workout (I go Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday) - and so, to make up for it, I got up this morning at 6:00 a.m (yes, that's A.M., as in still dark outside!!!) to go hit the elliptical machine and get in 30 minutes of that and about 20 minutes of weights. Yee haw! I'm proud, but I'm soooo tired... :yawn:

I have to be extra good today because tonight is my brother-in-law's birthday and the entire clan is going to Houlihan's for dinner to celebrate. Luckily, they have an Asian salad there that is very good and probably not as bad for me as some of their other entrees, so I will opt for that. Breakfast was a Slim-Fast; lunch was also a Slim-Fast. Not my favorite way to diet - boring!!! - but desperate days call for desperate calorie-counting measures! Snack this afternoon will be some popcorn.

Thanks to everyone for their water answers... I think that according to those figures, I'm probably only drinking about three-quarters of what I should be drinking. I hear people all the time talking about how water is an important factor in weight loss, and since I'm doing pretty well with everything else (with occasional off-days), I figure I could improve my chances of weight loss even more if I stick to my water - and make sure a bathroom is close by!

sf40 10-18-2006 12:45 AM

Hey everyone!

flabbychic: The zoo sounds fun! And lots of walking, too! Good idea to put away the scale for a couple of weeks and focus on eating and exercise.

jcatron243: Congrats on the shrinking belly!

RowdyBliss: Good job on getting to the the gym early in the morning!

Today was a pretty good food day except for a small slice of pie. Ate lots of veggies and other good things, though, so don't feel too bad about that. Weighed myself tonight and my weight hasn't changed but the scale says my bodyfat has dropped 2% from last week. That could explain why my belly seems like it's not sticking out quite so much. Haven't worked up the nerve to measure myself yet, so don't know for sure.

Tomorrow is strength-training day and am really looking forward to it. As far as achieving the goals I set for myself this month, I think I'm doing OK. My eating still needs some work but it's better than before. And I still look for any excuse to skip cardio, but at least I'm moving some.

Hope everyone has a great Wednesday!

rockinrobin 10-18-2006 08:19 AM

Got weighed in yesterday and out of the 17 pounds i wanted to lose, I've lost 5 pounds. Just having a real blah day though. I got up early to go for a walk and it just wasn't happening, my legs and knees were really bothering me so I turned around after walking, practically crawling for only 10 mins. I really think this exercise thing is harder then the food thing. I wonder if I would be better off at a gym. But I'm so big what are they going to do with me? Does it even pay? Do they even know what to do with someone my size? And everyone's so skinny.

jcatron243 10-18-2006 12:00 PM

fed up: Do you have a Curves around? It is a mix of strength and cardio the circut takes about 25 minutes then you stretch at the end. I like it because I don't have to stare at all the skinny butts at the gym. (I only went for my free week) I also have exercise equipment in my house for the same reason. I don't like it when people watch me workout.

5 pounds is great! When I am sore I spend some time on the floor stretching!

jcatron243 10-18-2006 12:10 PM

Yesterday I worked my butt off! Today It is housework and exercise when I can fit it in. But I hope to get in the same amount as yesterday 105 min! My eating was pretty good yesterday, and I am finally getting a good schedule, eating wise, that my body likes.

Tomorrow is going to be rough becuase I have to take my kids to the doctor for checkups in the morning, So I am sure I will have a latte instead of my protein shake, I also think that I will be going to Wendy's for lunch. At least I can get some decent things health wise. I am going to their website today and plan my lunch for tomorrow. We have to go to the mall to get my husbands phone fixed so that will be a good chance to get some walking in. Otherwise I doubt I will get in any other type of workout tomorrow.

RowdyBliss 10-18-2006 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by "fed"up (Post 1441644)
I wonder if I would be better off at a gym. But I'm so big what are they going to do with me? Does it even pay? Do they even know what to do with someone my size? And everyone's so skinny.

Au contraire, dear friend - at my gym, there are people there of all ages and ALL sizes.

I am a lot like you - exercise for me was a real chore. It's not that I hate exercise itself; I took karate a few years back and LOVED the rigorous, regular physical exercise but I had to quit because my instructor - a third-degree blackbelt - gave me a concussion :dizzy: (totally accidental!). After that, I tried working out on my own, but I hated running (because I could barely run!) and other things like power-walking and stuff like that were so incredibly boring to me.

I finally decided that I owed it to myself to join a gym and at least try it - and I absolutely love it. I didn't think I would, but I do... and I think it's because I've psyched myself up for it. I treat it a little bit like going to a spa - it's ME time, time to work on ME and make MYSELF feel good. It's an hour of my day that I get to spend being totally self-centered and focused only on feeling my best. Honestly, doesn't that sound great, just having that "you time?"

I had to start out slowly because I was very out-of-shape... I remember on my first session there, I only did about 5 minutes on the elliptical cross-trainer machine and I thought I would DIE! I was huffing and puffing so badly, and my poor muscles hurt. But if you keep at it... add one minute to your cardio each time you go... and vary it (I like to alternate between stationary bike and elliptical)... it gets easier, and better, and you can push yourself more as you get stronger.

And don't forget to reward yourself. When I'm done with my workout and I completed my micro-goal for the day - for example, doing ALL minutes of my cardio without stopping - I reward myself by having a good session in the gym's steam room, hot tub or sauna and patting myself on the back. If I don't complete my goal, I don't beat myself up - but I skip the sauna and make a new resolution to do better next time. It works!

So yes - I think it pays off. The weight loss has been slow but steady... but more importantly, I feel like a million bucks since I started a month ago. And I know it's only going to get better.

I'm not going to tell you it's easy, because some days it isn't. Hauling my big butt out of bed and out to the gym yesterday morning was like torture... but it felt good later because I felt proud for not missing a gym day and keeping my promise to myself.

Exercise is such an important factor to the weight loss equation; I think that if you're considering the gym, you should at least give it a try. If you want a workout buddy, I'd be more than happy to volunteer! We can help keep each other on track...

Sorry this got to be such a long post, but exercise is something I've become so passionate and excited about now that I've FINALLY figured out how to not only make it a habit, but make it something I honestly LIKE!

RowdyBliss 10-18-2006 01:38 PM

Motivation Idea!

Hello, lovely ladies!!

(I think we're all ladies here, right? Do we have any guys in the Thanksgiving Challenge? If so, I apologize!)

Everyone here is doing so well... and it feels great to have a gang of folks to report to every day. Woo-hoo for us!

Great day yesterday, food-wise. I stuck to my eating plan, mostly - although I did have the tiniest dish of creme-brulee for dessert last night. Thank goodness Houlihan's has "mini desserts" rather than those impossibly big desserts most restaurants have! It was really just a taste of the stuff - and since I did so well during the rest of the day, I decided that a little bit wouldn't kill me.

Today:
Breakfast - Slim Fast
Lunch - Lean Cuisine Roasted Potatos with Broccoli and Cheese Sauce
Dinner - I bought basa fillets for broiling tonight, along with steamed snow peas and probably egg noodles (I will have just a small portion - DH will eat the rest!)

It is also a GYM NIGHT! Yeehaw! My plan today is 30 minutes on the elliptical and another 20 on the bike. This is an increase from my previous 25 on the elliptical/15 on the bike - wish me luck!

*~*~*~*~*~*

Something else I wanted to share with everyone... I heard this on t.v. a few weeks back and it honestly has changed my entire perspective on things. I think it was on the Today Show... there was a lady on there talking about achieving goals, and I think they were specifically talking about going back to school. She said (and I paraphrase):

Instead of focusing on the things you are giving up on the road to your goal, think about the things you'll be getting as a result of achieving your goal.

It sounds so simple... but it never occurred to me before, and it really resonated with me. I - the Queen of Junk Food - have spent years and years trying to figure out the psychology of leading a disciplined, healthy lifestyle, and this really seems to click! "Keep your eyes on the prize!"

I challenge you - only if you want to - to post 5 things here that YOU will be getting as a result of achieving your goals, both short-term and long-term.

My Five:
1) I will be getting size 8 jeans.
2) I will be getting a tan in a bikini next summer.
3) I will be getting better roles in theatre productions.
4) I will be getting better health.
5) I will be getting a body that will allow me to take dance lessons again.

If I keep focusing on those things... the old lifestyle I'm giving up doesn't seem as difficult to leave behind...

What five things will YOU focus on? I'm anxious to see everyone's answers/inspirations!