Closed Thread

Old 07-29-2023, 09:25 AM   #181  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Good morning! 7 days ago I checked into the hospital with shortness of breath. I came home Thursday night feeling much better. As a result I will be having yet another heart procedure in the next couple months. In the meantime I am on a water pill to keep the fluid down. My fluid intake and salt intake are reduced. As a result I am down to 172.2 lbs. I dont know when I last weighed that amount but I think it was the 1990s. It is so hard to find things to eat that are low carb, for my diabetes, and also low salt/sodium. So far its been eggs and chicken. I just hope I don't regain this weight.

L&lsmom, I am aware that the site is having problems with pictures and avatars. One new administrator said the site no longer supports avatars. Remember awhile back when the site was so slow? Well, now I think we are lucky to still have the forum. I'm sorry. I dont like it either.
Old 08-01-2023, 09:25 AM   #182  
Meanderer

Carol - I am so sorry that you had to go through all of that and more procedures in the future but glad that you are feeling better! I agree that I'm surprised that we are lucky enough to still have this site. Every time I come in here I wonder if it will be the last time.

L&Ls Mom - I can't wait to hear about the party goers shocked faces and many compliments at the new you!
When I first read what your OBs nurse said, I immediately wanted to smack her for you. It seemed so insensitive. Today I read it and thought if it had been me at the time I would have probably laughed it off but it would have also depended on her normal personality and behavior. I'm the worst at saying things that people take wrong so I'm going to let her slide this time. LOL

Happy New Month!

Last edited by KStrong; 11-29-2023 at 08:12 AM.
Old 08-01-2023, 04:24 PM   #183  

S/C/G: 264/149.4/140

Height: 5'8

Wannabehealthy I am sorry to hear you had to go to the hospital, the good news being there is something that can be done about it! For your food wouldn't salads be OK? You can really fill up on lots of veggies in the salad. I know they aren't exciting but they do help keep us full with BIG salads. I agree with you and KStrong, we are lucky to still have it. I still fondly remember it in it's hay day...it was so active and kind of fun.

KStrong The nurse really had a smack coming! LOL I mean I was plus size, my first baby, I am sure somewhat hormonal and yet excited-shocked to be pregnant and she said that. It has stuck with me for 28 plus years! I can see it the other way too now that you mention it. She could have thought she should "open mouth and insert foot." That or she was a clueless young girl, who knows? The party was fine, but no comments on the weight loss. It's kind of surprising really. The people I thought would say something I haven't seen in at least 3 years. (My brother in law's wife's family). I can't figure it out. Either they didn't want to bring it up thinking it might embarrass me or it's because they are all overweight and didn't want to talk about it? Who knows, it's odd. It's a good thing we don't lose weight for the few comments we get.
Old 08-04-2023, 06:22 PM   #184  

L&Lsmom, I could eat salad but 1) I am not big on salad because I prefer to eat warm/hot foods. 2) They say oil and vinegar for dressing which I don't like. I did have a salad one day and used sweet and sour dressing but very lightly. I'm managing. I can eat eggs and chicken plain and I cook frozen vegetables.

I'm going to give your OBGYN nurse a pass. I'm thinking maybe she was referring to you being heavier because of the pregnancy. Sometimes we need a comment like that to make us mad enough to make a change.

I'm sorry no one commented on your weight loss. Its impossible that they didn't notice but since you said they are all overweight they probably felt self conscious.

Kstrong, cheers for the inches lost. I think my hips and waist are the same size. I have a big belly, love handles and lots of back fat.

I'm sorry your eyes and arm are still causing mayhem.

I'm down 10 lbs since before the hospital. The pants I am wearing today are really baggy-butt!! Has to be the last time for them. Into the donate bag. I have some smaller sizes to slide into.
Old 08-07-2023, 11:40 AM   #185  
Meanderer

Happy New Week!

I hope everyone is doing well!

Carol - That is great about the ten pounds and baggy butt, but sorry for the circumstances!

Last edited by KStrong; 11-29-2023 at 08:13 AM.
Old 08-09-2023, 07:30 AM   #186  

Hello weight loss warriors!
It's been a week and I have a new mini milestone...115 pounds!

KStrong Congrats on the new tape measure! It's funny mine was probably that cheap as well. I got it from Wal Mart years ago. When I get mine out the cats love to attack it. LOL I am impressed with your waist being 13 inches smaller than your hips, let alone the normal 10. When I started losing weight mine was a 7 inch difference. Now it's 5 inches. 5!! I figure eventually there won't be as much to lose from the hips and then maybe I will lose more in my waist. (I have gone down 13 in my waist and 15 in my hips).

Wannabehealthy Congrats on the 10 pounds! It is a great feeling to donate the too big clothes!
Old 08-10-2023, 10:42 AM   #187  
Meanderer

Carol - I hope you are still doing well!!!

L&Ls Mom on the 115 pounds gone! Great job!!! Also extra kudos on losing 28 inches in your waist and hips! I know someone that is ten pounds heavier than you and only 5'7" and she looks fantastic so I can only imagine how proud you must feel of your new thin self!

Have a great weekend!

Last edited by KStrong; 11-29-2023 at 08:14 AM.
Old 08-13-2023, 06:21 PM   #188  

KStrong I feel like we have your weather!! I know it's worse there, but ugg...it was 97 at the high today with a heat index of 107. So awful!!

Thanks for the congrats and even better seeing you write 28 inches lost. I haven't thought of it that way. When you said thin my mind thinks thinner or smaller yes, but not thin. I am a size 10 or 12 in jeans. The 12's are getting big and some 10's are still too small, but thank you! Ironically my waist to hip ratio is exactly the same as it was 3 years ago.... .86. They say that is supposed to be a higher risk of heart problems with those numbers. I figure eventually I will have to lose more from the waist! I really need to get a tummy tuck to get the saggy skin, but of course it wouldn't change the waist measurement much.

Wannabehealthy How are you doing? Check in with us soon!
Old 08-14-2023, 07:19 PM   #189  

Hey everyone. I'm hanging in here. My weight loss from the fluid pill has stopped and I'm trying not to regain. On Wednesday I have a Cat Scan of my heart, yet another step toward correcting the valve issue.

The recent discussion of measuring inches lost made me curious about tape measures. I have a couple of the ones from sewing and DH has a couple retractable ones for measuring wood and such when doing household repairs. Curious, I googled tape measures and found these gadgets for measuring your body that come with an app and cost $30 or so!! I guess those are for people that are really serious about measuring!! I can't imagine! I rarely measure because my measurements are so far off from what they should be its too depressing. Thank God for elastic waist pants.
Old 08-15-2023, 12:07 PM   #190  

Wannabehealthy Don't be depressed about your measurements! Turn that thinking around and say 'I am almost 40 pounds and (probably) two sizes smaller than I was." All I measured was my waist and hips and mostly out of curiosity. I figured if I stuck to it I could see how much was lost in inches and not just jean size. KStrong not knowing her actual starting weight would drive me nuts. LOL My tape measure is yellow but basically like this. https://www.walmart.com/ip/solacol-T...4?from=/search
Old 08-16-2023, 10:01 AM   #191  

L&Lsmom, the main reason my waist measurement bothers me is because clothes don't fit properly. Clothes are made for a waist that is smaller than hips and bust. But you,re right. The lost pounds do count.

I remember having a yellow tape measure at one time and it might be in my sewing box. I never sew anymore. My 2 white ones look like the one you pictured and one came with a set of exercise DVDs and has "Beach Body" printed on it. I think the smallest my adult waist ever was was 27" when I weighed 125-130. That probably lasted 1 day.

When I had heart surgery in 2008 they weighed me at 217. I doubt if I ever weighed more than that. Since then I could tell you my weight on any given day. I rarely missed more than one day on the scale. I'm obsessed. I can't imagine not weighing. A former coworker noticed her pants were getting loose. She got weighed and was surprised to be down 10 lbs and went down one pants size. I have never had weight loss that I didn't work for. She contributed it to bringing her lunch instead of going out for fast food. She was always very thin.
Old 08-16-2023, 08:14 PM   #192  

Wannabehealthy I can understand your waist not being smaller than your hips bothering you. Mine is smaller than my hips but not what I thought was the "ideal" of a waist being about 10 inches smaller than hips. Luckily even at my largest size I never had a problem with pants-jeans since I am built more like a boy than an hourglass shape. My sister is pair shaped and has a small waist and big hips so pants are always a problem for her. If they fit the hips then the waist is huge. I am like you as well and weigh myself daily. I can't imagine NOT weighing myself either. My highest ever was right before my ex husband and I separated in 2001. I remember my highest was 313. 313!! Now I am officially half of that and still sort of can't believe it.
Old 08-17-2023, 02:56 PM   #193  
Meanderer

Carol - 27 inch waist is shocking! I don't remember ever being that small. I was still 31.5 at 159 but I looked great!

​​​​L&Ls mom - As far as heart health, I think the main thing is to have a waist below 35" in women no matter your fruit shape and I feel sure you are smaller so you should be good. I think genetics is hard to change.

Have a great weekend!

Last edited by KStrong; 11-29-2023 at 08:16 AM.
Old 08-21-2023, 07:33 AM   #194  

Hi all! Nothing to report really, just checking in!

KStrong You are right about having our waist below 35 inches for heart health. As I was losing, I remember looking up the average waist size of women in the US and it said it is 37! When I got below that I was happy to be smaller than average. Then as I got to 35 I was happy about that (for the heart health goal). Right now I fluctuate between 32.5 to 33. My hips are 37. For me that is so small!! When I started my hips were 52. It is mind blowing to me. Congrats on the waist and hip measurements! Good news all around really.
Old 08-21-2023, 08:10 AM   #195  
Meanderer

L&Ls Mom - Your hips are tiny!

Have a fabulous week everyone!
​​

Last edited by KStrong; 11-29-2023 at 08:16 AM.
Closed Thread