Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 08:19 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 256/164,2/140

Height: 5'4

Santaclaritadiet Welcome!!!

carol It looks like you are doing awesome! I commend you for giving up sweets for Lent. I also didn't know that you could sync your fitbit to MFP, I am going to start wearing mine again and check that feature out!! I am glad you chimed in about the oatmeal, I really enjoy eating it and will continue to do so. I also like how you don't worry about the veggies bringing your carb levels above 50.

carolandflower I am glad that there are other people interested in a weekend thread!! I will set one up later this week!

flower nice drop!! I wasn't super consistent with tracking when I first started using MFP, but after using it for a while that changed.

wallace It is also my TOM, but nearing the end! Great job resisting the chocolate temptation, I agree that not having it in the house helps. My weigh in is also tomorrow, hopefully we have a good week and our TOMs don't mess with the scale too much!
Old 02-20-2018, 08:35 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 217/187/175

Height: 5'3

I'm so glad I gave up sweets for Lent. DH used to only buy hard candy which never temps me, but now he started buying gum drops and chocolate, which DO tempt me. I was really dipping into it for a while there but not since Lent started. I thought about it a couple times but then remembered that I gave it up. Hopefully by Easter I will not longer get the cravings.

I have stayed under 200 by a hair and not bounced up, but haven't lost anymore. This is the longest I have stayed in Onederland for a long time, but I need more of a drop to guarantee it.

Kfunk, what Fitbit do you own? I'm not sure that all of them sync to MFP. I just started doing it recently. I was diehard into Fitday until I started MFP and it's really so much better.

I am looking forward to the Weekend thread and hope it helps me stay on plan a little better.

Flower, I wouldn't worry about going higher in carbs if the carbs come from fruits and veggies. There is a lot of fiber and nutrients in them. You are getting good results, so apparently they are not interfering in your losses. I say find the carb count that allows you to continue losing and go with that. There's no set number for everyone.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 02-20-2018 at 08:36 AM.
Old 02-20-2018, 10:16 AM   #18  
NOOM user

S/C/G: 300/230.6/170

Kfunk there are diet bets going on all the time. You could probably find one that starts soon and get in on it!! It really does help with motivation.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:49 PM   #19  
Insta @xxtherealquinnxx

S/C/G: 256.4/251/155

Height: 5'6"

Thanks, everyone for the welcome!

Wallace - As for strategies, this isn't my first rodeo as far as weight loss goes, unfortunately. That said, I do have strategies that have worked for me in the past and are working for me now. I am a calorie counter. That's my thing. I'm not super strict about it, and work off of estimation (I have a ton of calorie counts just memorized, lol) and actual counts listed on prepared foods. I also cut out diet sodas, reduce my alcohol consumption to about 2-3 glasses of wine per week and drink a lot of water. Also, of course, an exercise regimen is important! Occasionally I'll have a "bump" day where I cycle my calories up a bit on the weekend, for the sake of mental health and also so that my body stays out of the dreaded starvation mode. I try to eat as clean as possible, even when I'm bumping my calories up for the day, but a small portion of something devilish isn't the end of the world for me. I'll basically be sticking with this plan until I'm ready to start weight lifting again, at which point, I'll need to 1) lower my expectations regarding pounds lost and 2) completely switch up my approach to my diet in order to fuel my hard work at the gym.

Thanks for asking!
Old 02-21-2018, 08:28 AM   #20  

carol You are doing a great job staying away from the sweets! I hope that by Easter the cravings are long gone, please keep us posted on that! I have the Alta HR Fitbit. I haven't worn it in months but I think its time to dust it off! I love MFP!!

Laura how is your current diet bet coming along? I think that I will make it, we have until the 7th or 8th to weigh in. Do you periodically send in your weights for review or do you just do the first and final? I love that they have maintenance bets too!!

santaclaritadiet Your plan looks great! Did you notice a difference when you cut out diet soda? This is something I have wanted to do for such a long time, but I use it as a crutch to help get me through so its a hard habit to overcome!

Challenge Begin Weight: 171.8
Challenge Goal Weight: 161.8
Challenge End Weight:

2/14: 171.8
2/21: 171 (-.8)
2/28:
3/7:
3/14:
3/21:
3/28:
April Fool's Day:
Old 02-21-2018, 09:48 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 204/189/150

Height: 5'7"

SantaClaritaDiet: I like your approach! I too calorie count and over time it has become second nature. I started the whole weight training thing and have seen some progress in muscle growth- hopefully my metabolism is increasing. It does slow the scale down because you are building your body back up but just like you said- you have to temper your weightloss expectations and I am doing just that as we speak...

Today is my weigh in day and I have not budged from 191 last week. It could be TOM stuff or too much sodium or just a weird plateau... who knows. I have been religious about exercise, calories and clean foods. Frustrated but not deterred.

Great to see your drop kfunk! Look forward to seeing everyone else's progress this week!! Keep up the good work.

Challenge 2: April Fools Day Challenge

Challenge 2 Begin Weight: 191 lbs
Challenge 2 Goal Weight: 180 lbs
Challenge End Weight: 150 lbs

2/14: 191
2/:21: 191
2/28:
3/7:
3/14:
3/21:
3/28:
April Fool's Day:
Old 02-21-2018, 10:10 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 204/189/150

Height: 5'7"

QUESTION for ALL: how much sodium do you have per day? I think I am consuming too much (~2500mg/day to 3000 some days). Any insight/knowledge sharing on this subject would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:39 AM   #23  
NOOM user

S/C/G: 300/230.6/170

Wallace I have my upper sodium limit at 2300 and the MFP app warns me when I'm exceeding it. I plan my week out on Sundays and mostly balance for sodium in the options. I start with dinners, then build the other meals from there.

Kfunk I have not weighed myself since last Friday because I gained from my initial Diet Bet weigh in. I've hunkered down to get back on track and feel less bloated. I'm making sure I exercise daily now and am watching my sodium. I will check the scale on Friday and will do my final weigh in as late as humanly possible - LOL.

Cheers,
Laura
Old 02-21-2018, 11:50 AM   #24  
Insta @xxtherealquinnxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfunk6113 View Post
santaclaritadiet Did you notice a difference when you cut out diet soda? This is something I have wanted to do for such a long time, but I use it as a crutch to help get me through so its a hard habit to overcome!
Hi! I'm not so sure that anything happens when I cut out diet soda. I just do it because I mentally associate it with those times where I was saying that I would eat better, but really was cheating all over the place. No, wait. Now that I think about it, diet soda can make me feel a little bloated and unhappy on serious cardio days. Hope that helps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallace View Post
Today is my weigh in day and I have not budged from 191 last week. It could be TOM stuff or too much sodium or just a weird plateau... who knows. I have been religious about exercise, calories and clean foods. Frustrated but not deterred.
Keep your head up, wallace. You'll get a whoosh at some point. Have you been tracking your measurements in other ways? Waist inches, hips inches, etc.?
Old 02-22-2018, 03:06 AM   #25  

S/C/G: 173.5/158.8/120

Height: 5'1"

Hello! I would like to join for sure! It's nice to see an active thread!

I am back after a long period of time having gained quite a bit of weight back after some traumatic things in my life! BUT, I am here and ready to do this again! I started a month and a half ago at 173.5 lbs and am currently at 158.8 lbs and would like to be somewhere between 115-120 lbs by the end! I am trying to count carlories (low carb/low fat) and exercise frequently as well! So far it's doing the trick. I can feel myself losing momentum, so I am hoping being here and being accountable will help!

I am excited to join all of you this year!
Old 02-22-2018, 08:46 AM   #26  

wallace It is frustrating when TOM messes with our weigh ins!! The good news is that you should be due for a nice whoosh when it is over! I try to stick to 2300 for sodium. I do notice on the days that I eat low carb, my sodium goes over.

laura That is good that you are feeling less bloated, I HATE that feeling!! I hope that Friday's weigh in goes well!

clarita I hope you don't mind that I shortened your name! That does help, thank you!! I wonder if that is why I am almost always bloated?! I drink about 3-4 cans of Diet Coke per day. I think I need to cut back!!

kahaney Welcome!! The whole section "chicks up for a challenge" is way busier than the rest of the forum, I hope you like it here! You are doing great so far!! I am also calorie counting, but not doing so hot with working out. I hear you about losing momentum. I have been feeling that way on and off for months now, but I think I just need to hunker down and finish up!! I joined some "diet bets" and that also seems to be helping because I don't want to lose my $
Old 02-22-2018, 10:39 AM   #27  
Insta @xxtherealquinnxx

Kahaney -

kfunk - No problem about shortening my name! As for Diet Coke making me bloated... I'm not sure why it does that. I've read that there have been studies linking some artificial sweeteners to bloating and water retention, but I'm not sure if the sweeteners in Diet Coke are included in that.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:04 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 217/187/175

Height: 5'3

I would like to join in the discussion about sodium. MFP has me set at 2300 mg, which is the healthy limit for women. I rarely hit that total, but I don't count the salt I use from the salt shaker, so I figure I make it up there. However, I eat almost all whole foods, very little processed foods. I looked back in MFP over the past week and one day I ate more packaged foods and my sodium was over 3000 mg. So if you're looking to lower your sodium, look at your processed foods. Anything you're eating that didn't grow in that form is full of sodium for some reason.

Kfunk, I am doing very well avoiding sweets. 8 days so far. But I already have a plan to eat a jelly donut as soon as Lent is over!! LOL I'm sure hoping that craving goes away by then.

Tomorrow is my weigh-in day. I haven't been on the scale for a few days because I don't feel "thin." Tomorrow will tell the story.

SantaClaritaDiet, I have cut way back on my Diet Coke but I cannot give it up altogether. If having a Diet Coke keeps me from eating something else then I feel that it's helping in the long run. I am drinking a lot more water than I did before. I only drink Coke at home and I buy caffeine-free. I stopped ordering it when eating out because they charge so much for it and give you mostly ice. Half the time they never come back to give a refill.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 02-22-2018 at 12:09 PM.
Old 02-22-2018, 02:44 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 173.5/158.8/120

Height: 5'1"

Thank you for the warm welcomes!

Today after work I am going to take an hour Zumba class and then go swimming for 30-45 mins! I'm excited!
Old 02-23-2018, 09:08 AM   #30  

clarita I am almost always bloated, so this makes so much sense to me! I have wanted to kick this habit for a very long time, but feel like I can at least cut down now!

carol 8 days is fantastic!!!! I love how you have something to look forward to!! I joined a diet bet where I put up $30 of my own money and if I win it I am going to treat myself with a nice piece of cheesecake. I have another couple weeks to go before its over, but like you, I am kind of hoping that craving goes away by then! I made a bag of frozen broccoli and the sodium in that bag (I ate it all) was like 1200 mg. right there, I couldn't believe it!! The convenience was worth it though and even with that I didn't go over the 2300. I look at my levels every night now and I am happy that this is on my radar!

I hope that your weigh in goes well today!!

kahaney Wow, that is impressive!! How did it end up going? I love to swim, its so much fun! What do you eat on days where you have such tough workouts?
Closed Thread