Join now! - 2017 year-end pound clearance challenge

You're on Page 2 of 12
Go to
  • Hi, all!
    This is my first post and first challenge. I’m a newbie! I currently weigh 299.4. I have managed to put on quite a bit of weight over the past few years. However, with the tools and support via this community, my desire is to rid my body of the extra pounds. Looking forward to lighter days ahead.
  • I love the Year End Clearance challenge title, Munchey! Thank you for the oh so helpful spreadsheets.

I have just returned from vacation to Monterey, California. I did fairly well eating, but came home and reverted right back to the night time binge mode.

So I am at an all time high this since summer...hopefully a lot of water weight...but time to get serious and get back to eating well and wisely!

Today was my official weigh in and my commitment to sanity. I love everyone's input. We all have weight wishes - let's make them true this holiday season!

• Hi Everyone!
    Hope your week is going well. The time change tends to throw me off. I'm trying to follow the strategy of having a daily 12-hour fast. For me, that means not eating between 8:00 p.m. and 8:00 a.m. or between 7:00 p.m. and 7:00 a.m.. So far, I'm managing to not eat until 8:00 a.m., but I'm struggling a bit. I know I'm better off to get up earlier and get in some form of exercise before eating. I just need to stay strong and make it happen. I know that in the past, I've been rewarded by getting in some exercise early. It seems to set a good tone for the day.

I joined a gym a few months ago. In my experience, it's typical for gyms to pipe in music over speakers. I'm a bit goofy (and a bit ADD) in that I have a hard time screening out noise (including music) that I find annoying. For the first few months, the music wasn't extremely loud and some days I even liked it when they played some rock music/alternative rock (something with a good beat and motivational).

For the last 4-6 weeks, they have piped in loud rap music all the time. I hate it so much. A few rap tunes are okay, but not "all rap, all the time" I usually bring in noise-counseling headphones and try and listen to my own choice of noise, but I'm not successful with filtering out the rap to an acceptable noise level.

I think the staff generally decides on the music. One day, I asked a staff member to turn down the music, but it was only turned down for a couple of minutes and then was turned back up. Currently, I'm focusing on cardio. They have a "Cinema Room" with only cardio equip. Sometime, I use the equipment in there. The cinema sound can get rather loud, with some action flicks, but it seems to be much less annoying for me.

Just wondering what others experience at their gym. I'm contemplating wearing some ear plugs. Wondering if there is some way to combine ear plugs with noise-canceling headphones. (so I can listen to something I like, as well as do a better job of cancelling out the rap)

Gemini6
    Let's make it to one-der-land together! I keep reminding myself that it's never going to be easier than now. I just have to keep with the reality check. Arthritis, aging and excess weight are a recipe for misery.

I've observed a situation with a neighbor a few doors down from me. She is very overweight. She fell and broke one ankle, then during the rehab process she fell and broke the other ankle. She is still in a wheel chair, long after most people would have recovered. I'm beginning to wonder if she will ever get out of the wheel chair.

Grazier
    Welcome to the challenge! I like your alias. I think we have similar challenges - grazing and munching, LOL

curvynotlumpy
    Let's row that boat together! We can do this!

opheliaphoenix
    Best wishes with your goal. Sometimes, I set a stretch goal, but know going in that I'll be satisfied with any results in the right direction. I've come to recognize that it's not how fast I get there. What's more valuable is to hold onto my losses. I've had a lot of experience with being a human yo yo, LOL

flying_unipig
    I'm glad you are joining us. I know what you mean about those pound just jumping on, LOL. I think many of us have issues with our weight bouncing around a bit before we feel secure in claiming a new low.

Rie
    Your job offer sounds exiting. I hope things work out for the best for you and your boyfriend and that you get your health care situation resolved.

I'm glad your training for the 5K is improving. I think several of us share a challenge with snacking this time of year. I know that the shorter days have an impact on me. I've got to fill the long dark evenings with something other than food.

I live in California. I can identify with what you are going through with your weather. We had recent heat wave, where regions exchanged temps. The areas with cooler temps got the triple digit temps, and the regions where triple digits were common, got the cooler temps.

ichoose2believe
    Welcome! I like your logic. Any improvements are something to celebrate. I'm aiming for 10 pounds a well. Let's do this!

Miko17
    Welcome to the challenge! I'm betting that you will have lighter days ahead of you. I'm glad you joined the website and the challenge.

MorningGlory1950
    Good to see you in the challenge. I hope you enjoyed your vacation. You aren't alone with the nighttime eating urge. I've been contemplating posting a pledge, on the nights when I struggle. I'm always glad when I don't succumb to evening snacks, but the temptation can be overwhelming at this time of year.

• Im in too! this sounds interesting. I could use something to push me a little, :P
  • to all the newcomers!

--------------------------------

Riestrella: That is good advice to keep in mind! Easier said than done, of course, but so are many other things in life...lol. I will have to try to ease up on my Virgoan nature, let some of my self-antagonizing and disappointment go, and try to remind myself that I am back and working at it again instead of letting myself keep gaining like I have done many times in the past. That's the most important part.

munchey: The gym I went to before we moved across country didn't play music over their speakers, so it wasn't an issue there. I haven't been to the gym here on our new post yet, so I'm not sure what they do there....I am sorry that your gym is so loud, though! I know the music probably pumps a lot of people up, but you'd think they would play a little bit of everything to inspire people that love and get worked up via other genres. Plus, even though I like some hip-hop while working out, I completely agree with you that too much of one genre would get boring and less effective in keeping me "pumped up" over time. I would call in one time when you're not there and ask if they'd be willing to switch up their playlists a little, and hopefully, if enough requests are put in, they will actually take it seriously and consider it. Good luck! Let us know if it gets any better. I will even call the gym too if you want me to, so it is more than one person requesting new music...lol. And, yes! I have experienced a lot of human yo-yoing over the years, as well.

Gemini6: I agree...I think we will all kick some serious booty for this challenge!!

• Hello,
    I know I may be a little late joining but I am very interested in joining this challenge.

I am looking forward to getting to know everyone here.
  • Welcome, kmay86!

• Welcome Kmay86 and JessJoy!

Kmay86: Did you enter the name "Krista" on the spreadsheet? If so, we need to change it to your logon ID. That way, we can more easily identify with who is who, when it comes to stats. Some people like to sign off their posts with their real name, or add it to their profile in some way. Feel free to do those things.

opheliaphoenix:
    Thanks for your input regarding the loud gym rap music. I'm probably going to have so say something about it. If it doesn't change soon, I'll likely have a day when I can't stand it any longer, lol.

Gemini6:
    I rarely skip breakfast, just try to go with the "12 hour fast" logic. Some days I make it, sometimes I' off by an hour or less. I'm sure I borrowed the phrase "It's never going to get easier than now" from someone in the fitness jandra. (Don't remember who said it, but I can't take credit). Have you tried melatonin to help with sleep? I empathize with you regarding sleep problems. I've had my share of problems. The root cause can be varied. Sometime, I think it's a hormonal/metabolic problem, sometimes it relates to bothersome aches and pains and then there are "sleep hygiene" issues (light from electronic devices, too much stimulation before bedtime)

I believe melatonin has helped me, as well as some other supplements. Insomnia really sucks. Adequate sleep is so important and plays a part in weight loss success.

• HEY EVERYONE!
    I've added a Weigh-In Sheet to our spreadsheet notebook for the challenge. I'll be back to offer information and clarification.

Hope everyone is having a good week and that we each have a little less of of us to report, when it comes to weight.
  • I've added a tab to the spreadsheet notebook for the 11-12-17 Weigh-In. It looks like the example below. There will be a new weigh-in sheet each week. All you have to do is enter a weight in the one field. Once you enter a weight, the "Pounds Lost" and "Percent Lost" fields will populate correctly.

The Weekly Weigh-In Sheets will feed into the Stat Sheet.

• No change this week. Cut way back on sugar and treats. Need to up the exercise

SW: 174.6
    CW: 174.6
  • Hi all - I hope everyone is having a good first week! I seem to be in pre-contemplation mode so am hoping to get some progress going in the next couple of days. It is nice to have a little virtual community to try this with.
  • and to this thread Huckle, Grazier, kmay, JessJoy, Miko, and flying_unipig. This is a great way to end the year and a wonderful group of chicks to do it with. Hoping week one is going well for you.

for everyONE!!!
  • Quote:
    Let's row that boat together! We can do this!
    Tee, Hee! Where do you find these little gems? I Have inherited my son's two year old orange tabby. He is a large cat and while active, likes his food bowl a bit too much(disturbingly familiar!). He use to be a house cat but now he can go outside. His underbelly is a bit jiggly and I so hope he doesn't grow into a garfield.
  • Quote:
    Tee, Hee! Where do you find these little gems? I Have inherited my son's two year old orange tabby. He is a large cat and while active, likes his food bowl a bit too much(disturbingly familiar!). He use to be a house cat but now he can go outside. His underbelly is a bit jiggly and I so hope he doesn't grow into a garfield.
    I think normal weight cats can get a bit jiggly in the under carriage, as they age. I guess they deal with gravity, just like us. I used to have an orange tabby cat that I called Morey.

I started collecting GIF graphics a few years ago. I have an account at Photobucket and have them categorized in various albums. As time has marched on, your can "Google" and find GIF's for about anything. I guess it's the "kid" in me, that I have a bit of fun with the graphics. Black and white gets boring for me - got to jazz things up, LOL