Old 08-12-2013, 10:51 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 156/157/142

Height: 5"4'

Default Who wants to run a Labor Day (virtual) 5K with me?

Ok, so I don't run so much as jog or waddle.

I am inviting all comers to run, jog, power walk, whatever-works 3.1 miles on Sunday or Monday Labor Day weekend. That is September 1st or 2nd. We will post our experiences and we can share or training experiences from now until then.
junem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 01:30 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 295/see ticker/150

Height: 5'9

I'M IN!!!!

Currently i walk 5 days a week and try to incorporate jog walk drills at least 3 times a week and try to do 5k distance 3 times a week. I am using the zombies run! 5k app for the drills

I have a sneaking suspicion that I have Exercise Induced Asthma though because my legs are ready to go alot farther than my lungs are, 1 minute of light jogging and it takes me another minute to get my breathing back to normal. but that is how I felt with the 30 second drills the first week too so I will keep at it!
pnkrckpixikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:15 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 170/161/130

Height: 5'1"

I'd love to join in!

I'm not a runner. Would love to be. Maybe I can try a C25K program and stick with it. I mostly - WOG - walk/jog.

(off go google the zombie run 5k app - sounds fun!)
EllieFunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 02:16 PM   #4  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

I am in. I ran 5 miles on the treadmill today in 47 minutes.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 04:04 PM   #5  
Making it a lifestyle!

Height: 5'9.5"

I'll do it with you! Right now I'm transitioning back into running after an almost 3 week injury hiatus, did 2 miles yesterday and another 2 miles today (2 minutes faster than yesterday). Feels good
Chronostasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:43 PM   #6  

I have been doing running walking intervals, with the podcasts from podrunner (www.djsteveboy.com). I did 6 times 6 minutes this morning, with 1 minute walk intervals.

Also, I am signed up for the Zion, Illinois Jubilee Days 5K on Saturday 8/31. It was the closest organized 5K I could find on Labor Day weekend.

I think 5K is 5K, whether or not it is an organized and officially timed event, but I feel participating and getting an official time makes it more of a "milestone" event for me. This will be my first 5K this summer.

Chronostasis. I love your animated triathlete characters.
Old 09-01-2013, 01:32 PM   #7  

Well I started this thread and didn't follow through very well. I do regret this.

In fact I went out Friday night to see a friend's band (they sounded great btw). I ended up hitting snooze Saturday AM and blowing off the 5K down in Zion. Later yesterday I went and ran the course by myself in 37 min and 43 seconds, according to my watch. As stated before, I am a pretty slow runner.

Anybody else run a 5K this weekend? How did it go?
Old 09-01-2013, 04:18 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 295/see ticker/150

Height: 5'9

Well I'm not signed up for an actual 5k, I thought it was just to do a 5k worth workout this weekend?

I slept through the time this morning that was cool enough to go out and run. I went to the gym and did 2.6 mi on the treadmill before my knee started to ache, move to the elliptical and did another 1.4 mi for a total of over 5k in 45 mins.

I'm going to try to wake up tomorrow before it hits 90+ but no guarantees
pnkrckpixikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:32 AM   #9  

pnkrcpixikat. Nice Job! Your way counts with me. As I said before, 5K is 5K. I totally get the need for the elliptical, last summer I struggled with posterior tibular tendonitis, and biking and the elliptical trainer were the only ways to get the cardio and not aggravate it.