3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Chicks up for a Challenge (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/chicks-up-challenge-159/)
-   -   1 Week Salad Challenge - Starting Friday, 5/17 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/chicks-up-challenge/281594-1-week-salad-challenge-starting-friday-5-17-a.html)

100Mother 05-14-2013 04:40 PM

1 Week Salad Challenge - Starting Friday, 5/17

I'm not sure if theere would be any interest in this, but please let me know if you'd like to join me. Last year I did an AWESOME 1 month salad challenge where I literally ate Salad 3 meals a day, and two snacks of either veggies or fruit. I allowed myself 1 non-salad meal a day. Not only did I feel great, but it helped me to come up with new and interesting meal ideas, plus really increased my veggie intake.

This coming Friday, 5/17, I am going to do a 1 week Salad challenge. The challenge will end on the Saturday of Memorial Weekend.

The definition of Salad for this challenge is anything over lettuce/spinach/leafy green stuff.

I have some personal rules that I apply to myself: Minimal Cheese and no bread. Also, I use minimal dressing, or at least get it on the side.

An example meal plan would be:

Breakfast: Spinach salad, w/ basil, 2 soft boiled eggs, bacon bits, and a little bit of feta cheese.
Snack: Apple & a Banana
Lunch: Spring mix salad with tuna, avocado, and any other veggies I'd like.
Snack: Carrots & Cucumber
Dinner: Chicken Fajita Salad - Sauteed Chicken, Onions, Bell Peppers, Mushrooms all over lettuce w/optional cheddar cheese. Really no dressing needed on this one.

If there is any interest in joining me for 1 week of eating all salads, let me know! If not I'll just update on my regular threads. Also, you don't have to do it for a full week, maybe it is just 1 day you want to try it.

Thanks for reading!

Meenaa 05-14-2013 04:44 PM

I am in

Hi there

I am already on a raw food diet in May - I will join you in the salad challenge . Lets do it together :)

IanG 05-14-2013 04:45 PM

I'm in. This rocks! Salads are not just for breakfast any more!

PS I will still drink beer in the evenings, however! Beer and salads. Yum.

joefla70 05-14-2013 04:48 PM

I concede already and yield to your salad supremacy! I eat a salad every day for lunch, and sometimes for dinner. But it would have never occurred to me to have a breakfast salad.

IanG 05-14-2013 04:50 PM

Salad breakfasts rule Joe! You can't beat a boiled egg with lettuce, corn, tomato and onion.

joefla70 05-14-2013 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IanG (Post 4741397)
Salad breakfasts rule Joe! You can't beat a boiled egg with lettuce, corn, tomato and onion.

I don't think you could beat a boiled egg with a fork either! LOL. ;) Ok, that was a bad joke.

What type of dressing does one put on a breakfast salad? Beside the inclusion of the egg, is there anything different about it - other than the time you're eating it?

100Mother 05-14-2013 04:59 PM

Yay! So glad to have so much company! Welcome, and please everyone, share recipes if you have a good one.

joefla70 - If you use soft boiled eggs, the yellow is still runny and you don't really need dressing IMO. To soft boil and egg you put the egg in the water, on the stove top, and turn it on for 10 minutes. You don't boil it for ten minutes, but leave it on the stove for 10. Hope that makes sense. Otherwise anything will do.

Another one of my favorite breakfast salads that gives me lots of good carb energy for the gym is Quinoa, sweet potatoes, onions, and green beans over spinach. Plenty of protein there and the sweet potatoes give me a boost. I sautee them before putting them in the salad. It is good cold as well as warm.

100Mother 05-14-2013 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IanG (Post 4741391)
PS I will still drink beer in the evenings, however! Beer and salads. Yum.

Haha, I think my boyfriend will be joining you in that ;) He will be forced to join in the salad challenge by association, haha.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meenaa (Post 4741390)
Hi there

I am already on a raw food diet in May - I will join you in the salad challenge . Lets do it together :)

Yay! Welcome Meenaa!

CanadianCutie 05-14-2013 05:46 PM

This sounds pretty awesome to me. I might start it a day or two early actually though. My husband's birthday is on the 23rd and we're going out for a fancy dinner, and I'm not giving up my prime rib dinner.

100Mother 05-15-2013 12:14 PM

I get that Canadian Cutie. Really this doesn't even have to be a week. I think it could be beneficial doing it for one day even. I am definitely going to allow myself my 'post hike' meal, that will surely include a soda and I think this week an ice cream cone. :)

IanG 05-15-2013 12:29 PM

Quote:

What type of dressing does one put on a breakfast salad? Beside the inclusion of the egg, is there anything different about it - other than the time you're eating it?
I do small fruit salads in the morning alongside. Can't stomach much fruit in a salad lunch, but seems to work for brekkie.

punky941 05-15-2013 12:40 PM

I could do that. I love salads and already eat one almost every day.

Going2BeThatGirl 05-16-2013 12:13 PM

I'll join in!

Now to plan ahead! LOL

IanG 05-16-2013 12:17 PM

Oooh. Starts tomorrow. Best check what I can get.

100Mother 05-16-2013 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by punky941 (Post 4742122)
I could do that. I love salads and already eat one almost every day.

Yay! Welcome!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Going2BeThatGirl (Post 4743345)
I'll join in!

Now to plan ahead! LOL

Welcome! I know right? I need to get on Pinterest and find new salad ideas :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by IanG (Post 4743355)
Oooh. Starts tomorrow. Best check what I can get.

Me too Ian. Just about to start working on my plan and grocery list for tonight.