Old 12-14-2012, 12:11 PM   #1  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up New Year's Resolution Reading Challenge

So many New Year's Resolutions falter within days of January 1. Readers know that one way to sustain resolve and focus is to read a book on the topic. The goal of this challenge is to build a community around reading books to support our healthy New Year's Resolutions so that we can share book ideas and encourage each other in our pursuits.

Whether you are resolved to eat healthier, increase exercise, or cook more at home, there are books that will help. The New Year's Resolution Reading Challenge is to read 1 to 4 books that will stimulate action on your goal between now and the end of January. Here are the levels:

Resolved: 1 book
Determined: 2 books
Committed: 3 books
Passionate: 4 books

What are your New Year's Resolutions? Are you resolved, determined, committed, or passionate?

What books have you read that would help others meet their healthy New Year's Resolutions?
gardenerjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:12 PM   #2  
Green Tomatoes

I'm passionate! I intend to read four books to support my resolution to master maintenance.

I haven't selected all of the books yet, but one will be Thin for Life by Anne Fletcher.

Does anyone have other suggestions for books to keep the energy up when the drama of watching the number fall on the scale is gone?
Old 12-16-2012, 10:42 AM   #3  
Green Tomatoes

Sundays in December are wonderful days for contemplation. What do you want to do in the New Year?

Would a book help? I'm a librarian and there are other librarians and book lovers on 3FC to provide suggestions of titles for you.
Old 12-16-2012, 03:38 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

I think it's a wonderful idea! I will start to think of the books. (aside from Beck)
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:13 PM   #5  
Green Tomatoes

New Year's Resolution number 1: Figure out maintenance.

I'm going to read these two books to see if they have some answers for me:

Thin for Life by Anne Fletcher
Smart Chefs Stay Slim by Allison Adato

Still working through other resolution / book ideas.

What's your New Year's resolution?
Old 12-20-2012, 07:35 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 165/132/125 or 115? not sure

Height: 5'4" (on a good-hair day!)

Oh Dear: This challenge!!!! A slippery slope for me!!!

My problem is I love to read and when engrossed in a good book I exercise less! I know it keeps others motivated and busy, but alas I tend to EAT while reading.

But can't wait to see what others are reading. I can suggest a few I loved l & did find helpful, if you like.

Last edited by Mountain Mamma; 12-20-2012 at 07:36 PM.
Mountain Mamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:21 PM   #7  
Green Tomatoes

Mountain_Mamma: I'd love to hear your suggestions.

I do a lot of my reading in the bathtub so that I don't eat at the same time. I also read at lunch and snacks because I'm alone then. I know I should be paying attention to my food, but I take great pleasure in reading and my books don't have calories so I've been determined to make it work.
Old 12-26-2012, 02:31 PM   #8  
Green Tomatoes

The day after Christmas is the perfect time to start thinking about New Year's Resolutions!

If you would like some live interaction with other folks reading books to support their New Year's Resolution, I'm hosting a Twitter Chat on Wednesday nights through January, starting tonight! Details here: http://www.joyweesemoll.com/2012/12/...-twitter-chat/

I would love to have some 3FC people join the party!
Old 12-27-2012, 01:48 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 165/132/125 or 115? not sure

Height: 5'4" (on a good-hair day!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenerjoy View Post
Mountain_Mamma: I'd love to hear your suggestions.

I do a lot of my reading in the bathtub so that I don't eat at the same time. I also read at lunch and snacks because I'm alone then. I know I should be paying attention to my food, but I take great pleasure in reading and my books don't have calories so I've been determined to make it work.
My list: The 1st four have been mentioned many times in 3FC but I'd recommend them for anyone who hasn't already read them:

1)"The End of Overeating" - Dr. David Kessler (former FDA Commissioner)
2) "The Omnivore's Dilemma" - Michael Pollan
3) "In Defense of Food" same
4) "Botany of Desire" same

I also recommend:

5) "3 Fat Chicks on a Diet" - I was pleasantly surprised to discover the book at the library. Worth a read. Out in 2006, it is not as new as some, but funny & motivating.

6) "The Power of Habit" by Charles Duhigg - out last spring. (I mentioned this earlier so please forgive the repeat.) Goes into not just individual habits and attendant neurological research, but corporations and communities, too. (What Target knows about you is a REAL eye opener!) The author writes less about eating than about exercise, smoking, drinking, gambling, etc., but is helpful regarding cravings, cues, routines, rewards. The prose is a bit simple and contains silly sketches, but worth a read.

I liked all of these because in total they deal with the societal, industrial, political and economical forces behind food & food production, and/or physiological reasons (brain and body) behind eating/overeating. It's more than gluttony, folks!

Currently I'm reading "Drop 10" by Danzinger but not especially impressed. Will give my esteemed opinion later.
Mountain Mamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:28 PM   #10  
Green Tomatoes

Thanks, Mountain Mamma! Great suggestions!

I just put up a group read on my blog for The Power of Habit. It seems like a wonderful book for New Year's Resolutions, no matter what they are. It's here if anyone wants to participate: http://www.joyweesemoll.com/2012/12/...ar-group-read/

I'm requesting 3 Fat Chicks on a Diet from the library -- how fun!

Right now, I'm reading Smart Chefs Stay Slim by Allison Adato and it's surprisingly good with great tips and stories.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:24 PM   #11  
Green Tomatoes

Happy New Year! What are you reading to support your New Year's Resolutions?

I'm still working through Smart Chefs Stay Slim by Allison Adato. Very helpful with lots of information about how to love food and be healthy at the same time.