Old 08-21-2012, 12:39 AM   #46  

S/C/G: 165/132/125 or 115? not sure

Height: 5'4" (on a good-hair day!)

Sno, don't you feel like you are outwitting the marketers by avoiding the 'central stage' of processed stuff? Sometimes I get irritated when I have to hunt high & low for my humble oatmeal box in the midst of all the sugared junk cereal - it's almost a contest to get through the store & avoid the temptations.

Lishar, the heart rate monitor sounds very tempting. Are they expensive? You & LB impress me, nurses are awesome.

Michelle, looks like you've over half way there! How long did the 38 lbs take?

Tyla, only 10 lbs away?! How will you celebrate goal? Or have you decided?

You ladies giving up caffeine - hope you don't mind I don't join you. Gotta have my coffee ! (No sugar, skim milk unless I'm at SB - the half and half is too tempting!!)

Will be out of pocket for a few days, so signing off now.
Mountain Mamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:43 PM   #47  
Just keep swimming...

S/C/G: 215/ticker/140

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbrocade View Post
I sometimes think I was just insane preferring all that processed stuff when fruit and veg taste so good.
I know. I don't know how it happens but I'd forget how GOOD a ripe strawberry or peach taste, which is seriously good! It really makes me think that the chemical composition of junky processed food has a profound affect on the brain!

Mountain Mamma - I won't be giving up caffeine either, or at least not in my morning coffee. I gave up all sodas, however.

Regarding getting to the half-way point, I've been "working on losing" (or so I said) since January, and was lucky to be slooooowly going down instead of gaining because I didn't really get serious until late July. So from Jan 1 through end of July I lost 19 pounds, going from 215 to 196. I was VERY lucky to go down by 19 over that time because my eating habits were atrocious and I binged frequently.

Then, this past month when I TRULY buckled down, I went from 196.0 to 177.6.

Lishar - My scale can fluctuate alot each day, I never sweat it when I'm on plan. Great job on weight lifting, I really need to add some of that to my routine. Maybe some body-weight exercises I can do at home or something, I am just not inspired to go to a gym to lift. Plus I don't have any extra dosh for a gym membership either.

Tyla - It's kinda perverse that we celebrate the weekend being OVER, lol. But I'm right there with you, glad that it the weekend is in the rearview and a new week is here!
My Michelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:57 PM   #48  

S/C/G: 266/245/176

Height: 5' 9"

Default Day 7

Hi all

so yesterday I made a great big salad with cucumbers, tomatoes and squash from my garden and some lettuce from trader joes. so I am keeping up with my goals to eat more veggies.

as for chips has anyone tried making zucchini chips? I have done it a few times and I really liked them. they dont last long--you pretty much need to eat them within a few hours of making them else they lose their crunch. I had some kale chips at a friends house that were good too--I have to try that myself.

mamma--I am with you--must have my caffeine--I am giving up much else so I am keeping that one. I am so surprised I am learning to like black coffee!

Lishar--it is a class that is a combo of aerobics, weights, balance and stretching. I forget what it is called but the teacher makes it different every time so there is no specific philosophy. I go twice a week and do a 30 minute hike with the dog almost every day.

cheers all!

sno
Snowbrocade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 01:39 PM   #49  
Back to being healthy

S/C/G: 245/see ticker/175

Height: 5'8'

sno- your salad sounds yummy. Are you from Pasa Robles California? I used to live in Atascadero, and around San Luis Obispo.

My michelle fresh fruit is wonderful. I have been buying frozen blueberries to have with my Greek yogurt but I am sure fresh would be better. I like the Y because of the child care. They watch my 2 girls for 2 hours every day I exercise. I don't think I could do as much if I did not go there.

Mountain momma- I got a polar Ft7 and it was $75. I am missing my coffee this morning. My youngest decided to wake up at 4 and not go back to sleep. She then woke me up every 20-30 min until 7am. I am dragging today.

I am down half a pound which is ok because I did weight training yesterday. Is strange the muscles that ached last night. So just the treadmill today. DH is home yea. Not sure what we are going to do today. Have a great day ladies.
Lishar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 02:15 PM   #50  

S/C/G: 177/142.6/134

Height: 5'5

This is day 7! In kinda weird... In one way, It's like "Is that all it is?" And in another way, It's like, "Wow" we made it thru a week without doing something stupid. Anyway, we're doing something healthy for our bodies and minds.

I have tons to do today, so I'll make it short today. But let's keep doing our best! Good luck, everyone!
tyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 05:51 PM   #51  

S/C/G: 165/132/125 or 115? not sure

Height: 5'4" (on a good-hair day!)

Sno, the garden sounds wonderful.

Well, you ladies brought me luck - a new low this morning, 134!! But not updating the ticker just yet because I hate UNDOING the ticker!

Going on the road, will be a miracle if the loss lasts.

Signing off for the next few days . . . Good luck everyone!
Mountain Mamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:13 PM   #52  

Height: 5'2"

Lishar: Best wishes to your husband if he decides to head back to school. I was thinking of maybe going for NP later on after some experience. My mom worked in ICU for many many years and she loved it! She wants me to go that route too. I love Zumba classes! Even if I am the least coordinated person in the room.

My Michelle: 196.0 to 177.6 is amazing! Congrats.

Ate great today and yesterday. Made a tofu dish today for lunch with some oyster sauce that I bought at the asian market with some green onion and garlic and it tasted awesome. I was worried that it wouldn't because it's my first official time making tofu. It was usually my boyfriend who cooked for me. I was pleasantly surprised.
Ladybug10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:15 AM   #53  

Day 8! Thirteen weeks to Thanksgiving!

Last edited by tyla; 08-22-2012 at 07:15 AM.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:28 AM   #54  

S/C/G: 334/see ticker/184

Height: 6'0"

I'd like to join this challenge! I really want to blast away as many pounds as possible by thanksgiving for two reasons:
1) We will see all my DH's family on thanksgiving. It's pretty much the only time all year that all his family is together, and I'd LOVE to look noticeably smaller by then!
And
2) I'm running my first 5k on Thanksgiving!! It's called "Huffing for Stuffing"-isn't that cute?? My mom and sister do it every year so they'll be with me. I figure the less weight I have to haul 5k the better! Lol.

I've lost 32lbs in the last 12 weeks. I'd be THRILLED to lose another 30 by Thanksgiving! So that's my goal.
Imato5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:38 AM   #55  
Just keep swimming...

S/C/G: 215/ticker/140

Height: 5'8"

Hi Imato! I love the name of that race, that's very cute! What a fun time to run a first 5k!
My Michelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:32 AM   #56  
Back to being healthy

S/C/G: 245/see ticker/175

Height: 5'8'

I am down another half a pound so back to 244 . I had a great walk yesterday. 3 miles in an hour and I even jogged a few min at the end. The I brought my oldest back and she walked for 20 min with me (1 mile). So 4 miles yesterday.
I guess this is day 5 for me.

I was hungry after so we went to Red Robin. I have been craving the Veggie burger. It is so good. I have never had a boca burger before. They are not bad. I keep thinking of all the money we are saving by not going out to eat as much. I uses to go to MCD a lot. I was tired and did not want to cook. Now that I am focused of what I am going to eat its easier. I have to admit I have a few pizzas for my family if I don't want to cook. Its easy to make a good salad for me. I made one with a can of albacore tuna. Yummy and lots of protein.

Imato welcome. That race sounds fun. Good luck on your goal. I look forward to seeing family again weighing less.

My ultimate goal is for a trip with my parents next year to Peru and the Galapagose. I want to sit in airline seats without having to wedge myself in. I want to be able to walk the whole time easily.

ladybug I feel like the most uncoordinated but thankfully everyone is looking at the instructor and not me. I am in Zumba gold which is for less in shape and older people. Maybe once I get fitter I will move up. I am whipped in this one for now.

Good for you eating tofu. I cant stand the texture. You enjoy it for me .

Mountain momma congrats I hope this continues for you.

Tyla have a great day.
Lishar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:01 PM   #57  

Height: 5'2"

Lishar: The first time my boyfriend and I tried tofu, it was a total fail. We got the hard tofu but did not press it at all so there was still some moisture. I couldn't finish that dish because of the texture. It was so squishy. Now we press it for 2 hours to get all the moisture out and the texture is a lot better in my opinion and tofu absorbs anything you cook it in or marinate with so the taste is great too. Way to go walking those many miles! I can't step outside without breaking a sweat and it takes forever to cool down at night where I live.

Imato5: Congrats on the 32 pounds you've already lost and welcome!! I've always wanted to run a 5k. How are you training for it? Your Thanksgiving one sounds fun to run.

Went down to 131.2 this morning. I hope it sticks. This past week and a half, I've been dropping more than I did on previous weeks. It may be because my boyfriend isn't here to cook all his amazing food. Happy Wednesday everyone!
Ladybug10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 02:12 PM   #58  

S/C/G: 266/245/176

Height: 5' 9"

Default day 8

Hi all!

Down another pound today. Have been doing nutrisystem for 3 weeks and am down 15 lbs. mostly water I am sure.

It is hard for me losing this weight mentally cuz I gained the last 30 lbs in the last 6 months--I moved and with the stress and disruption of routine I just went whole hog on the eating. I can gain so fast but lose slowly.

I just have to remember how much it sucks to gain so much weight so fast so I dont do it again.

I am so glad you all are here! It helps to have such an active group of friends who know what its like.

Cheers

Sno
Snowbrocade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 04:02 PM   #59  
Maintaining since 2013

S/C/G: Sz 20/Sz 8/Maintain

Height: 5'11

I hope everyone's Wednesday is going well!

I'm still on track and for the first time I believe I can do this (being close to 200lbs by Thanksgiving). I'm down one more pound so far this week. I'm thinking about signing up for a kettlebell class in the fall in addition to my strength training class. Also ice skating season is right around the corner and I burn a million calories doing that...well maybe not 1 million (lol) but a lot.

Imato5 - You are my hero. 32lbs within the last 12 weeks is amazing! Congratulations!!!!

Snowbrocade - Glad to see Nutrisystem is working for you!
SunnySide99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 05:11 PM   #60  

I just finished doing 55 minutes on the treadmill. I feel so much better.

Sno, congrats on your fantastic weight loss. I gain quickly and lose very slowly also. Thanks for doing this thread.

Lishar, great job on losing another 1/2 lb!

Mountain Mama, 134 is awesome!! Can't wait to get back down there.

Let's keep going>>>>

Last edited by tyla; 08-22-2012 at 05:11 PM.