Closed Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 01:43 PM   #286  
MELTIN' MY BUTT-ER BUNS

S/C/G: 199.6/139.4/135-140

Height: 5' 4.5"

Jeanettey

Day 1

5 1-arm push-ups (albeit, only 1/2 way down)
Then 95 remainder push-ups in 3 sets (33, 33, 29)

100 sit-ups, slow, but sure (Ohhhhhh, I hope my skin didn't rip too . . . guess I'll find out when I hit the shower, which is NOW!!!)

and
2 sets of 100 bicycle crunches . . . I'm doing these instead of my usual 400 crunches per day and my tummy is feeling it . . . I'll get up to 400 bicycle crunches . . . just give me time!!!

Day 2
Tomorrow . . .
Old 08-24-2011, 02:48 PM   #287  
Suck it up, buttercup!

S/C/G: 237/165/165

Height: 5'8"

Logging my 60 crunches & 30 push ups (on knees) from last night if that's ok. More to come tonight.
I will try real push ups tonight. Never did but the knee ones are getting easier so there is hope! 2 weeks ago I barely managed 2 but 30 were not impossible yesterday apparently.
How come fitocracy doesn't give me the 50 crunch quest? I have done way more than 50!!

Last edited by josey; 08-24-2011 at 02:48 PM.
Old 08-24-2011, 03:22 PM   #288  
Kandie Apple Sundae

S/C/G: 225/180/150

Height: 5 foot 2

Calorie Cycling today. Hit a maintaining streak again. So I upped the calories today and will bring it back down tomorrow.

Boy do my arms hurt today.. I moved 20 bags of 80 pound Concrete yesterday and 90 25 pound Cinder Blocks. Rested from C25K yesterday my calves were killin me and I didn't want to injure anything to prevent me from running! c25K tonight and I will rip it up with J.M

For some added challenge to myself I decided I would join up in Fitocracy. Go Me! I WILL BE EPIC

Last edited by Ksquared; 08-24-2011 at 03:31 PM. Reason: Joined up for fitocracy
Old 08-24-2011, 04:38 PM   #289  
Writer. Often pantsless.

Height: 5'7

Sarge & RMC - For what it's worth, both of my boxing trainers have said that bicycle and double crunches are the ones where you get more bang for your buck, so to speak.

I'm just moving along, eating like I'm supposed to and busting my BUTT-er in workouts. I hope everyone else is doing well.
Old 08-24-2011, 05:30 PM   #290  
Baby bump to hot mama!

S/C/G: 250/208.6/150

Thanks for the support re:sit-ups guys. I think I need to accept that my body is not made of willpower alone. If it were, I'd be 140 pounds already based just on how much I want it!

But I did my crunches and will continue doing my crunches again and again! Eventually, I'll be doing sit-ups.

I haven't been running since my trip to Nevada so I'm getting everything ready so I'll be able to leave the boys at bedtime and go to the gym. Homework already turned in, boys' bedtime stuff already set out, etc. Planning for success makes it so much easier for me to achieve. I think it takes away all possibilities of excuses. I'm dropping the C25K program. Honestly, I'm totally bored with it, and when I do it, it doesn't feel like enough. So I am going to research some half marathon training programs and step it up.

I ran my first 5K and my first marathon within 6 months of each other a few years back, with no prior running training or anything before that. I can totally rock a half marathon!!
Old 08-24-2011, 06:06 PM   #291  
I've left 3FC! Check sig

S/C/G: 195/ticker/130

Height: 5'5"

Thanks for sharing the BL email with us, Sarge! Never thought to swap my chair for my fitness ball before, I think I might just do that!

I did a 3 mile run today, it started pouring it down with rain on the way back. I think the cold made me run a little bit faster, did it in 31:47 with a 10:49 min/mi - another record!

I've been reading into the Insanity workout Elite Nutrition Programme where it basically says you should eat 5 times a day and for someone like me - eat 2000 calories worth of food. I'm not sure what to think really, maybe my body does need the extra fuel, but I feel fine most of the time eating what I normally eat (and I'll admit, it's not super healthy but I'm no overeater). I do want to start replacing some of the things I eat with more greens, a side effect of my exercising since I want to give my body the nutrients it needs.

Anyone have any nutrition tips? Not diet tips though, just nutrition tips for someone who's working out 6 times a week and training for a marathon!

Also, I'm down to 174 lbs today, woohoo! Reaching my monthly goal of losing 4 lbs and on target for this weeks pledge =).

Last edited by Riestrella; 08-24-2011 at 06:06 PM.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:25 PM   #292  
Writer. Often pantsless.

Ries - I'm definitely an advocate of eating more. Since upping my calories to 2k a day, I'm finally starting to lose weight again after not losing on 1200 a day for the longest time. If you're working out a lot (which I am, and seems like you are), you need to be eating enough.

I eat a lot of protein because I do a lot of strength training - peanut butter, protein shakes, eggs, cheese sticks, turkey slices, etc.

On the advice of MadamB, I've been bulking my protein shakes and now could happily have one every meal of the day if I let myself: 1 banana, 1 carton light banana pie yogurt (the 80 calorie ones), 1 tbs peanut butter, 1 scoop chocolate protein powder, and a few ounces of non-fat milk to thin it out. Blend, pour over ice, devour. It's REALLY good.

I also eat A LOT of fruit. At least once a day, my snack is cheese and an apple. Throughout the day, I eat plums, melons, oranges, berries, etc. Whatever fruits I like. I eat some avocado every day, baby carrots, celery, etc.

It was a bit of an adjustment to go from 1200 calories a day to 2000, but now that I have, I'm STARVING at my regular eating times. It's a process, but you'll get used to it.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:40 PM   #293  
just do it!

S/C/G: 269/150/150

Height: 5'4"

Riestrella - I am like a broken record on eating more! There are two separate posts on the subject on my blog. I think it's absolute crap that it's "common knowledge" that we need to starve or deprive ourselves to lose weight. Your body needs fuel to lose weight. You've already hit on a key point though....those additional calories in your diet should be from nutritious whole foods, not processed garbage.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:44 PM   #294  
I've left 3FC! Check sig

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeycactus View Post
Ries - I'm definitely an advocate of eating more. Since upping my calories to 2k a day, I'm finally starting to lose weight again after not losing on 1200 a day for the longest time. If you're working out a lot (which I am, and seems like you are), you need to be eating enough.

I eat a lot of protein because I do a lot of strength training - peanut butter, protein shakes, eggs, cheese sticks, turkey slices, etc.

On the advice of MadamB, I've been bulking my protein shakes and now could happily have one every meal of the day if I let myself: 1 banana, 1 carton light banana pie yogurt (the 80 calorie ones), 1 tbs peanut butter, 1 scoop chocolate protein powder, and a few ounces of non-fat milk to thin it out. Blend, pour over ice, devour. It's REALLY good.

I also eat A LOT of fruit. At least once a day, my snack is cheese and an apple. Throughout the day, I eat plums, melons, oranges, berries, etc. Whatever fruits I like. I eat some avocado every day, baby carrots, celery, etc.

It was a bit of an adjustment to go from 1200 calories a day to 2000, but now that I have, I'm STARVING at my regular eating times. It's a process, but you'll get used to it.
Thank you for this - I really wanted to hear if anyone else was doing something similar and if it worked. I'm working out 6 days a week (2 runs, 1 long run, 3 strength work outs, 2 gym days) and I'm starting to think I need to give my body a bit of TLC if I'm going to be putting it under all this stress! What does your meal plan look like? Do you eat 5 times a day? Do you have a certain amount of protein, carbs and fat that you eat per day?

peanutt - I'll check out your blog now!! Thanks! I think I was eating around 1700 calories a day, usually a bowl of cereal, orange juice, a sandwich, yoghurt, banana, small amount of chips then whatever Dinner was.

What's the general opinion on supplements? I'm thinking of getting some Cod Liver Oil tablets just to help out with ma joints...

Last edited by Riestrella; 08-24-2011 at 06:46 PM.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:57 PM   #295  
just do it!

S/C/G: 269/150/150

Height: 5'4"

I'm taking a good multivitamin (New Chapter Organics) plus a good deal of Omega 3 (I don't eat any fish). I tracked intake of as much as I could through MyNetDiary for 3 months and shared the numbers with my doctor. Between what I was getting through my diet and multivitamin and the fact that all my blood tests were normal, she didn't feel I needed to supplement with anything else.

I know you asked pokey, but I can't resist butting in on the macro-nutrient ratios question. Right now I'm toying with eating Paleo for a few weeks and shooting for 40% fats / 30% carbs / 30% protein. If I decide to stick with Paleo for a longer term, I'll probably tweak that to lower carbs and up the fats. Before I was trying this, I aimed for 25% fats / 50% carbs / 25% protein and was satisfied with that ratio. What are your ratios now? From that short list you posted, you look to be pretty heavy on the carbs and light on the protein. There's no one-size fits all when it comes to this, but I would definitely keep an eye on my protein consumption if I was working out like you are.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:01 PM   #296  
Writer. Often pantsless.

Re: the supplements: I'm an advocate for them, just because I've seen them work in a medical setting. Some people believe that they'll do nothing for you, but for the most part, I've seen a lot of arthritis patients take fish oil and feel significantly better. Whether or not that's a placebo effect doesn't really matter to me, because something like fish oil is harmless, and whether it legitimately helps or just makes you think it does, as long as you're feeling better it's all a win in my book.

I work out HARD. I'm hard on my body. I do boxing bootcamp (HIIT training, weight training, boxing training) 4 days a week. I do a high intensity Zumba class 5 days a week. I run 4 days a week and stationary bike in the evenings while watching tv. That said, here's what I ate yesterday and the times I ate:

7:30 am (post boxing) 2 poached eggs each over a half whole wheat english muffin, 4 pieces apple chicken sausage, 1 plum

10:30 am 1 apple, 2 cheese sticks, bowl of watermelon balls

1 pm (post Zumba) bulked up protein shake I mentioned above

3:30 pm protein bar, plum, baby carrots

6:30 "taco" salad (ground turkey over romaine w/avocado, tomato, green pepper, jalapenos, cukes, olives, sprinkle of cheese, salsa)

8:30 8 oz fat free milk, 1 mini Hershey's special dark bar

That's really a typical day for me. I sub out the breakfast and dinner, but usually eat the same snacks, and generally at the same time, or I turn into a HUNGRY monster.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:03 PM   #297  
Writer. Often pantsless.

Excellent! I'm glad Peanutt posted so you could see someone else's eating plan. I haven't been really focused on macronutrients as of yet, because I'm mostly trying to just get healthy calories in. As time goes on, I'd like to cut out even more of my carbs, but for now, my boxing trainer recommends that I keep the whole wheat carbs and fruit carbs in my eating plan.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:16 PM   #298  
I've left 3FC! Check sig

peanutt - Absolutely feel free to join in on this conversation! The more the merrier =). I'm with you - I don't really eat fish at all, I live with my parents and Mother bear is very much in control of what dinners we eat - but I'm considering doing my own shopping. If I'm perfectly honest, the ratio thing flies right over my head, how do you work it out? All I know is that I am eating way too much carbs, sometimes I have toast instead of cereal for breakfast + the sandwich I have = lots of bread. I need to start substituting it for something else.

pokey - Thanks for that! Seems like a good meal plan. The only problem I face is how much fruit and veg costs...it's really not cheap and to be eating it every day might put a serious dint in my pocket =/. I'll definitely try that shake you mentioned, although I will need to invest in some protein powder. I always associated it with big body builders who want to bulk up!!

Last edited by Riestrella; 08-24-2011 at 07:16 PM.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:28 PM   #299  
Kandie Apple Sundae

S/C/G: 225/180/150

Height: 5 foot 2

I took the advice of the fitness ball. I replaced my massage chair with my ball and I have been moving all day long. Rolling around on it. bouncing on it. Mini crunches as I roll it back and forth. Working the hips going side to side. Phew I am exhausted!
Old 08-24-2011, 07:35 PM   #300  

S/C/G: 258/244.6/190

Height: 5'7"

Jeanettey Challenge Report:
100 crunches in 4 sets of 25
I tried to do push-ups. I maybe succeeded on 2. I did 20 very weak girl push ups in 4 sets of 5. I rounded up with 3 sets of 15 sec of planks since I couldn't do the push ups. Do it again tomorrow.
Closed Thread