Old 02-14-2011, 05:11 AM   #1  
Calorie Counter

Height: 5'4"

Default W.O.W. Not Fooling You! April 1st Challenge~Invitation and Week 1

I hope everyone got into good habits after the first of the year. Lets continue on and keep working toward our good health!

For any newbies, the traditional copy and paste:

Women on... WHAT??

Okay, let me explain that "Women on WEED" is not what you might be thinking. During previous challenges, a group of us formed a great bond, and we've been challenge buddies ever since. We use the word "WEED" as a mnemonic device to set daily goals, an easy and very specific way to remind yourself during your day to take care of your body, and to nurture your Mind, Mouth and Muscles... it really does help. After all, we are all taking this a day at a time, right?

If you join this challenge, you will see it often - and you are encouraged to give it a try. Here's what it stands for:

W - Water intake. Set a daily goal for how much water you're going to drink. Although there is conflicting research as to how much to actually consume in a day, we all agree it is important to drink lots to stay healthy. So make it a goal!

E - Exercise. Efficient, healthy weight loss isn't going to happen unless you incorporate some kind of physical activity in your life. Everyone does it differently; some go to the gym, some work out at home, and some find ways to sneak in little bits of exercise all throughout the day. Set yourself a goal, even if it's small. Little bits done often WILL add up over time!

E - Eats. Being that we all have different eating plans and weight loss philosophies, this is sort of a wild card. Whatever plan you're on, set yourself a plan-appropriate daily eating goal for the day. Don't forget to make it specific!

D - Daily goal/Daily affirmation. This is another wild card. It doesn't even have to be weight-loss related! This is the spot where you list something you want to get accomplished. Or, you can use "D" for a a daily affirmation - it's an opportunity to say something good and positive about yourself. Sometimes, when we fall short - and we ALL do sometime - we are tempted to berate ourselves. Although it's good to recognize when we don't reach our goals, it's also good to remind ourselves of the awesome parts of ourselves. So go ahead and remind yourself of that in the "D" part of WEED.

Well here it is! Jump right in, tell us about yourselves, your goals, your home lives, your healthy plan, etc. We LOVE newbies! And we LOVE our regulars! Welcome back
jcatron243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 05:16 AM   #2  
Calorie Counter

I'm Jeni, Wife and Mom (2 kids 7 and 5). I work full time with an odd 12 hour shift schedule.

W Water~ I usually stick to 64 oz on my work day and 80 oz on my days off.

E I love to run. I just got a new treadmill for the house, and I love it. I am also a gym rat. I haven't had a good gym workout because either me or my kids have been sick for the past couple weeks.

E I am sticking to 1500 cals. Had a blood sugar fiasco last month that made me stop doing low carbs.

D Usually my daily goal is just to keep moving by doing housework, shopping or something like that.

My goal for the next 4 weeks is to do an ab workout every day and run at least 30 minutes everyday. I will also do my regular gym workout on my days off. Disnelyland countdown 24 days!

Last edited by jcatron243; 02-14-2011 at 05:21 AM.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:02 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 180/120

Height: 5'2''

I'm Mavis, 44, Wife and Mom (2 young men in college-23 & 20). I work 2 highly stressful jobs, one in insurance and one selling Real Estate.

W Water~ I aim for 100 oz a day.

E I hate to exercise, but I know I get better results when I do, getting back to running with C25K again, using Turbo Jam and Jillian Michaels DVD's and aiming for 10k steps a day

E Low carb with reasonable fat

D My goal is usually positive vibe stuff as I struggle with depression,

My goal for the next 4 weeks is to run every other day and to get to 10k steps 5 days a week. My weight goal is the 140's, 5 pounds will get me there!!!
mothermavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:28 AM   #4  

Height: 5'3"

I'm Emily, 31, mother to two boys (4 & 2) and a little girl on the way in June. I work full-time outside the house and my DH works a lot so our lives can get pretty hectic. For now the weight loss is on hold and I'm just trying to gain a reasonable amount this pregnancy.

W - I try and aim for at least 80 oz per day.

E - This is a tough one for me, once the weather turns warmer I'll be out walking a lot but it's a tough one for me in the winter time.

E - Eat a reasonable amount of calories, I'm loosely tracking while pregnant just to keep a handle on it.

D - Usually something I need to get done or something that involves slicing out a little 'me' time where I can

My goal for the next 4 weeks is to stay under 180, the farther below the better! My weigh in days are Thursdays.
emiloots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:39 AM   #5  
Stay Focused & Committed

S/C/G: 237/205/184

Height: 5" 5.5

I'll join in too.

I'm Sheila and I'm single and work a 9-5 job and work part-time in real estate.

W - Water intake - This is something I need to be conscience of. Some days I tend to forget to drink enough. It's much easier for me to get it down when the weather is warmer so I have to fight to do it during the winter months.

E - Exercise - I have no problem exercising. I really enjoy it. My only issue is to make sure I find the time during the week to get at least a 30 minute workout done. I have a huge selection of workout DVDs that I use. Lately I have been doing the new Firm system, TurboFire and walking.

E - Eats - I am following the new Weight Watchers plan and have done really good since starting on 12/5/10.

D - Daily goal - My daily goal is to stay OP, use most of my points on healthy power foods, get in at least 30 min of activity.
GettinFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 08:47 PM   #6  
Living the Life

Newbie jumping in.

I'm Lisa, 27, married- no kids. I am a kindergarten teacher.

W Water- I don't really track ounces that often. I have a water bottle I bring to school and try to drink it all and fill it up again at work or back home and repeat. (If I really think about it, it's probably ~ 32 oz...so I try for 64 oz)

E Exercise-I'm training for a 1/2 marathon on April 30th (this is my 4th one). So I run 3 days a week and strength train 2 days a week. Lots of stretch and try to add in something on the weekend.

E Eating- I'm starting to track my calories again. I've been at it for about 3 weeks. I don't really stick to any plan or strict calorie count. Right now I'm just getting a feel for food values again and my eating habits. I'm going to start pinpointing problem areas.

D Daily Goal- Staying productive! Along with my health, I'm trying to be more proactive in my life (I tend to be a procrastinator if left to my own devices).

My goal for the next four weeks is to stick to my fitness plan, don't skip days unless needed (then make up for them if possible). Start conscientiously thinking about my food choices to help my weight loss goal! Weight wise--low 140s.
Cheshirecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:50 PM   #7  
Calorie Counter

Shelia and Lisa!

HI MM and Emily/

I only got in 1.5 miles today. Maks knee started to hurt so we left swimming early.

Did really good on all my food and water today.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:10 PM   #8  

Good job Jeni!

I am with Mak on the sore knees. Had to take it easy on mine today too, but got elliptical in this am and another 6ooo steps during the day, so pretty good. Got a beautiful bouquet of red & white roses today!
Old 02-15-2011, 06:08 AM   #9  

OK, happy Tuesday....windy here. I keep thinking "blustery" yes, I've had kids!

W 100
E Elliptical this am, dreadmill this pm
E POP
D Repeating one of my faves "take care of the little things and the bigs will take care of themselves"

Last edited by mothermavis; 02-15-2011 at 06:08 AM.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:19 AM   #10  
Living the Life

Thanks for the welcome Jeni. Good job with the swimming. That is one activity I would love to get back into.
Good job to you to Mavis and yea for pretty flowers!

Tuesday for me:

W 2 Water bottle full
E Walk w/ teacher or Just Dance and strength routine
E Be reasonable with the candy hearts!
D Look at my To Do List and check them off! (4 things)
Cheshirecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 09:18 AM   #11  
Stay Focused & Committed

S/C/G: 237/205/184

Height: 5" 5.5

Thanks for the warm welcome Jeni,

Good mroning everyone. I had a very good day yesterday and I'm planning on a great one today. Yesterday I stayed within my points target (I'm following the Weight Watchers plan) and I did a Firm Express workout and I got all my water down. This morning I've started on my water and will do another Firm or TurboFire workout after work. I brought my lunch with me so I will have no problems staying OP. I've got dinner ready for when I get home. I find that planning and prepping ahead of time helps me alot.

I hope everyone else has a great day
GettinFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:02 AM   #12  
Calorie Counter

MM~Its been pretty windy here too!

Lisa~I'm not the swimmer, my daughter is. (although I would love to get in and swim I just never fit it into my schedule.) How far do you run when you are training for the half marathon?

Shelia~ I totally agree with the planning ahead!

My work schedule is crazy (4 days on, 1 day off, 2 days on 4 days off, 1 day on, 2 days off) Crazy I know. I work 4am~4pm. On the days that I work, I try to have dinner prepared so I can go work out before my childrens activities. Makenna, 7 is on the swim team (MWF)and does basketball (T, Sat) at our Y. I'm lucky enough that on my work days her grandmother helps her with her homework after school. Tommy, 5 does swim lessons TTH. He doesnt have sports right now

W~80 oz

E~My normal workout times for my days off are from 1215-145 after I drop Tommy off at preschool. 35 minute interval run~10 minute row~10 minute arm pedal~20 minute weights~15 minute Elliptical

E~stick to my normal work diet. AT work I get 5 20 minute breaks. I keep my food and snacks packed so I am eating every 2 hours. I keep my calories and carbs under control. I can't do a no carb anymore because my blood sugar went crazy at the end of January.

D~Today is house work. and Laundry.
Old 02-15-2011, 12:30 PM   #13  
Calorie Counter

I just did my run this morning. 3.5 miles. 45 minutes. This time last year I did 5ks 3 times a week. I will get back to that!
Old 02-15-2011, 03:24 PM   #14  
Living Light

S/C/G: 171/171/160

Hello Chickadees!

A shout out to the regulars, Jeni, Mavis & Emily!

Welcome newbies, Sheila and Lisa! You've joined a great group of smokin' divas!

I'm Carolyn, 46 years old, wife and mother (12 year old son). I am a professional singer/pianist and private singing teacher. I teach 4 evenings a week and Saturday during the day which totals to about 50 students. Performances vary. I currently perform at retirement homes in the afternoons playing the piano and singing Broadway tunes and Old Tyme Favorites.

W - Not a problem for me. I aim for 100 oz a day.

E - Not a problem for me. I alternate between weight training and cardio and take a yoga class once a week.

E - Can we talk?! Here's my challenge. Laying off the chocolate! I eat pretty well otherwise. I aim to follow the Body For Life eating plan which has me eating 6 times a day with 2 1/2 hours between meals/snacks. I have a combination of protein and carbs each meal/snack. There is a FREE day once a week where you can eat what you want to shock the body into letting the fat cells release. When I have followed the program in the past, I have had great success. But I have not found the motivation to go full speed ahead with the eating plan, so the weight loss is slow to none.

D - Usually I reserve this spot for telling myself to not give up on trying to eat better, even when I have an off day.

So far today, I have been drinking my water and have done my cardio and I have eaten well, EXCEPT for the chocolate bar I had before my work-out! Sigh! What to do, what to do.

Last edited by Clykk; 02-15-2011 at 03:25 PM.
Clykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 04:56 PM   #15  
Calorie Counter

HI Clykk!

So the National weather service is forecasting a chance of funnel clouds here. Thats happened maybe once in say 34 years?

So I made it to the gym....I did 35 on the elliptical and 35 on the tread. I punked out on the weights and row machine. I only intended to run for 15 minutes but I got so into the intervals I lost track of time.