3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Chicks up for a Challenge (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/chicks-up-challenge-159/)
-   -   I want to challenge myself, but realistically. (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/chicks-up-challenge/223634-i-want-challenge-myself-but-realistically.html)

xXLosingItXx 01-25-2011 03:12 PM

I want to challenge myself, but realistically.

Only days ago I started to really set my mind on losing weight, and getting in shape.

I'm on no special diet, just doing the basics. More meals a day, around 5, and small portions. Fruits whenever I can get my hands on them, as little starch as possible, etc.

Whilst doing so, I have also begun the BeachBody Insanity Workout.

I currently weigh 180, and I want to set a realistic goal for myself, but one that will challenge me. I know everyone loses weight differently, but I want something to aim for, and keep me on track.

Do you have any ideas?:?:

mandalinn82 01-25-2011 03:17 PM

I really like goals based on things you can directly control. Weight based goals CAN be motivating, but for some people, they're destructive, especially since you can't really directly control your weight...you can undertake good habits, and the scale STILL won't cooperate, because you ate too much sodium before weigh-in day, it's TOM, you lifted heavy weights and you're swollen...etc. Scale based goals can get destructive if, on day 60 of your "lose 15 lbs in 60 days" challenge, you've only lost 14...for a lot of people, that's "failure", when in reality, it's a tremendous success to lose 14 lbs. I am guilty of feeling like I failed for not meeting "weight by date" goals, so I don't set them anymore.

I DO set goals that I can actively control. Days of eating on plan, minutes of exercise in a month, miles run in a month, etc. I can always choose to meet those goals or not, regardless of what the scale in my bathroom says. And meeting THOSE goals will ultimately help me meet my weight loss goals, just not on a timetable.

So what about setting an exercise goal that's a little bit of a reach for you? Or a number of days on plan type goal?

xXLosingItXx 01-25-2011 03:23 PM

That makes a lot of sense, and I completely agree. In the past I've tried to lose weight, not nearly as dedicated and for other people rather than myself, and working hard only to find I didn't lose the weight I thought I would...just made me give up.

I think I might start counting calories, although its hard when I'm living with my mother and she always buys the same food. Looking at the label and working with what I have will be a challenge, and It will help keep me busy. Not to mention, I'm sure at the end of the day, when I count the calories, I'll feel better about myself as I go.

Just need something to help me get through this, distract me and help relieve stressed unrelated to the new plan :)

Hotsauce1209 01-25-2011 11:52 PM

I am the same way im 169 now but i want to get to 150. I have been doing quite well then fell back into my bad habits of eating at night time i cant seem to control thr night eating

xXLosingItXx 01-26-2011 03:26 AM

I used to eat a lot at night, but I find it easy to control now for some reason. Probably because I was eating out of boredom, not hunger.