Old 03-31-2010, 09:22 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 287/ticker/139

Height: 5' 5"

I think I did fabulous yesterday.

In particular, I didn't eat anything after dinner (even though I had some calories left) and I finished my eating really early. Planned all my food intake out in Calorie King. I discovered that being nice to people makes me feel better so I think that will be a good daily goal for me. I didn't do any formal exercise but I was running around all day so I actually walked a lot.

On the other hand, I gained a pound overnight. How does this happen? It is a mystery to me.
CJZee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 09:53 AM   #17  
Stay Focused & Committed

Height: 5" 5.5

Good Morning All,

CJZee - Congrats on having a great day yesterday. Don't let the scale determine your success. Maybe you were retaining fluid yesterday. You'll probably show a loss soon. Just keep doing what you're doing.

Hotwings - Glad you had a good day too. Enjoy your kickboxing class. I love kickboxing. It is a great workout.

I have 2 good days under my belt now and I'm working on day 3. I'm so looking forward to getting back down to onederland.

I hope everyone has a great day!
GettinFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 11:59 AM   #18  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

I made it to bed in time last night! Under difficult circumstances.

Yesterday, where I live we had heavy rain for hour after hour, and everyone in my apartment building complex got very nervous. In April 2007, it flooded badly here. The water rose five feet high in the ground floor apartments & some residents had to be evacuated by boat. I live in a ground floor apartment here (I didn't back then) and residents were checking on me on & off all day as I worked from home on my laptop. The place was sandbagged. Local news station prowled in our basement filming footage of water coming in. The sump pumps were turned on & the water & heat were shut off. My apartment did not flood, though. It stayed dry!

Anyway, after a day with my nerves very much on edge, when it finally looked like the rain had stopped & we were safe, I went to the gym, hoping some hard work there would calm me a little. It helped. I did not eat too much at dinner. I made myself go to bed, thinking I'd be an insomniac, fretting over everything. But no. I fell asleep immediately. Maybe wiped out? And felt much better this morning.

I definitely think a good night's sleep more often is going to help me. I eat sometimes when I'm edgy & tired. If I were better rested, I would not have that happening.

Last edited by saef; 03-31-2010 at 12:00 PM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 12:16 PM   #19  
Stay Focused & Committed

WOW saef! Your stats are awesome!! Congratulations on losing over 100 pounds. How did you manage to stay focused to reach that goal. I have been going back and forth losing & gaining the same pounds for years. I am determined not to give up though.
Old 03-31-2010, 06:22 PM   #20  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

GettinFit, I was very patient with myself. I did not set any numerical goals for mysef except for weighing "a little less: each week. My deal with myself was that I'd take anything, the scale just had to keep going lower. "A little less, a little less." And that I would keep going.

The other thing is that I began cooking & prepping meals for myself whenever possible, from scratch.

I started walking, then with running intervals, then started going to a gym to make it more consistent when the weather was not good.

I started in Jan 2007 at 247.
By late July 2007, I was 199.
By late July 2008, I was 145.
In Feb 2009, I got to 143.4 & in July 2009, to 141.4.

At the same time, I started doing more with weights & Pilates & yoga, since I moved to a new apartment just down the street from my gym & had easy access. Despite upping my exercise, I found I had gained some weight, but stayed the same size with the same fit to my clothing. I think some of that is probably muscle, as I am more fit than I was last summer.

But I would like to get back to 141, purely & simply.

Getting more sleep & trying to deal better with tension will help me with that goal.

Last edited by saef; 03-31-2010 at 06:23 PM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 10:26 PM   #21  
Eyes on the Prize

S/C/G: 350/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

CJ: I have yet to figure out the mysteries of the scale. Sometimes I just want to crush the thing with a sledge hammer!! Great job on all the walking!

GettinFit: You are GettinAfterIt! Onederland here you come!

saef: I bet that was a real nail biter with all that weather on the east coast. Things seem to be really weird weather-wise the past 5 years or so. A lot different than I remember when I was growing up. You did a great job getting through all that and even went to the gym! I wish I had your patience with the weight loss. I want this stuff off and I want it off N-O-W! Maybe patience should be on my list

Alright my friends. The kickboxing class was a major disappointment. It was not at all what I thought it would be. Plus, when I called the director told me that my kids could take the class with me. Well, we got there and the lady at the desk was all... oh we don't do that. This is an adult class. I told them I talked to the director, but they insisted she must have thought I meant something else. I told them I asked her twice if I could do that (and I did just to be sure) and they said she must have thought I meant the Tae Kwon Do. What?? How do you misunderstand KICKBOXING? So anyway, they said there were some things the kids could do while I was in class. The instructor ended up wanting to have class outside, so they just kicked a ball around and played. Honestly, I did NOT want class outside. It was a beautiful day, but I hardly wanted people STARING at me during the class - she had it on the sidewalk that LED INTO THE BUILDING. Holy guacamole. To top it off, before class started she said we needed to go grab a step and some hand weights. At that point I pretty much knew it was not going to be real kickboxing and I would learn how to do nothing new. I just could not believe this class - it was nothing more than glorified aerobics with some kicks and punches added in. And it had to be the most boring class I have ever been to - the instructor said a couple words now and then about what to do next, but other than that there was no talking or encouragement whatsoever and she acted like she would rather be any place but where she was. Don't get me wrong, I got a good workout and made it through fine, but.. really, really disappointed. I can see why kids don't do that class, but still kinda mad that the DIRECTOR told me we could do it together. Now I have no idea what to do.. my son was excited about it and cried in the car on the way home because he really wanted to do a class with his mom.

And you know what? After the class I came in and told them the class was not at all what I thought it would be. I told them that since it was called kickboxing, I thought we would actually be learning that. Well, the lady looked at the instructor and the instructor back at her like.. yeah that class probably kicked her butt and she's not happy about it. They acted like it would be a total pain in the butt to take the fee for the 6 week class off of my bill. I told them I would pay for the class that was today, but they still acted a bit miffed. I don't think they realize that there are a lot of plus size ladies out there that really want to get fit - we aren't all bumps on a log that quit at the first sign of something hard. The class wasn't what I expected, so I didn't want to take the damn thing. Grrr that just makes me so mad.

So.. I said.. "Well, I lost 71 pounds eating right and doing my own exercise so I guess for cardio I'll just stick with what I'm already doing since this class was not at all what I expected. But, I could probably use some strength training, so just switch me to the weight lifting class and I'll still pay the fee.. then it won't be such a bother for you."

Then they were all like.. OH.. no.. it's no bother, really! But their looks back and forth told the whole story long before they started backtracking. I just wonder how many other people they treat like that or if it is just the plus size girls. You know.. I just expected some kind of positive "let's do this thing" kind of attitude at a gym that offers classes. I got none of that. The director does the weight lifting classes, so if she is a wet noodle tomorrow night I may just eat the class fee and use their equipment on my own (got a month trial membership to their facility).

Sorry to be kind of a downer.. but 3FC is the only place I think people really understand! All other of my goals went well today, although I ate a little much for dinner (was my daughter's 7th birthday today )

Last edited by HotWings; 03-31-2010 at 10:40 PM.
HotWings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 10:52 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 230/224.2/165

Height: 5'1"

I would love to join in on this. There are some things I really need to change. Just reading thru everyone elses list sparked ideas about some things for me.
1) I will limit my Diet Coke to one a day. (that one is going to kill me)
2) I will eat at least 3 full healthy meals a day and at least 1 healthy balanced snack.
3) I will be in bed with lights off at 10:30 at least 4 nights a week.
4)I will write everything I eat in my log book daily. And I mean everything.
5) I will exercise at least 5 days per week.

I think this is a really good start. I can think of a lot more, but no sense overwelming myself.
readytodoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 02:56 PM   #23  
Stay Focused & Committed

Saef - Thanks for sharing that. I know I need to be more patient with myself and just take it one pound at a time.

hotwings - I'm sorry your kickboxing class wasn't what you expected. Don't think I've congratulated you on your loss of 71 pounds! You ladies have done awesome jobs. I can't wait to get half of that under my belt. Right now I am 213 and a tight 14. I'm looking to get to a comfy size 8-10. My WW goal is 155 but I will stop once I can fit a 10. I workout with the FIRM which makes you lose more inches.

Welcome aboard readytodoit.

I hope everyone else is having a greate day! So far so good for me. This makes day 4 back on track.

Last edited by GettinFit; 04-01-2010 at 03:00 PM.
Old 04-01-2010, 06:31 PM   #24  
Never ending story

S/C/G: 213/160/150

Height: 5'7.5"

I'm doing well with my attitude about weight loss. The scale went up instead of down again, but I'm feeling good, wearing clothes I couldn't, and having people comment that I'm looking good and asking if I'm losing weight. The positive attitude shows on the outside. Feeling pissy and impatient shows too, so no more of that!

I've been doing well with eating earlier, until last night. I had an unexpected little party, that I could have planned for had I known about it before eating so many calories already. I ate late. And drank...

Tuesday I did the "Eat fewer calories in more meals", and I was miserable. I was hungry for a good, filling dinner and I just didn't have enough calories left to make something satisfying. Then I felt deprived and whiny. So...I'm not going to ditch this item, but I'm still going to save up more calories for dinner. I will still make sure I eat something for lunch. I exercise first thing in the morning, so breakfast isn't particularly early for me, and if it's filling, I'm not hungry until late afternoon. Sometimes I just wait and have a little something while fixing dinner. This actually works for me, but I don't know if it's efficient for burnign calories. I guess if I end up going over my calories because I'm not satisfied, I should stick with what works. We'll see.

Haven't gotten to start doing yoga or zumba. I'm waiting on a friend to give me the yoga dvd she made and wants me to critique for her (artistically--she's the yoga instructor, not me!)

Otherwise, things are going great!
LouisaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 07:19 PM   #25  
Never ending story

S/C/G: 213/160/150

Height: 5'7.5"

Hot Wings: I'm with you on the outside exercise thing--I did a yoga class in a park a few times, and never felt comfortable being watched by passersby. Also, as far as the two girls at the gym are concerned, one thing to consider is that no matter who you are or what you look like, some people just don't handle criticism well, and by dropping out of one class and going into another, you are creating extra work for them (even if it is their job, for crying out loud). So perhaps their being miffed had more to do with that, and nothing to do with you. Remember, it's our assumptions and expectations that let us down every time, so don't take their reactions personally because who really knows what that look was saying--they can think whatever they want as long as you get what you need out of that gym experience. You've come a long way--not because of them or in spite of them, so don't let them effect your mood or thoughts in the slightest. You're the one in control!

saef: amazing work you've done. Congratulations and thanks for sharing. Success stories are always inspiring, and so necessary for me!

Gettinfit: if you don't mind my asking, how tall are you? When I was 213, I wasn't wearing my uncomfortably tight size 18 pants!

Last edited by LouisaH; 04-01-2010 at 07:20 PM.
LouisaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 08:44 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 287/ticker/139

Height: 5' 5"

Well, here's a rundown on yesterday and today:

1. I will cross at least three things off my to-do list every day. I've done pretty good, but I spend way to much time on the computer.
2. I will exercise at least 5 days per week, even if it means just going for a walk. Had a great exercise class yesterday. Went for a walk today, but not a very long one.
3. I will not eat after dinner is finished ... the kitchen is closed. Yup, this has been a great goal for me the last 3 nights.
4. I will plan each day's food in CalorieKing ... doesn't mean I can't change it, but it will be a good blueprint. I've done pretty good with this. My calories and carbs have been very good thus far. And I did lose that weird pound I gained.
5. I will do an unplanned kindness each day. This is really ongoing and kind of special. Most of the things I do are really little ... not glaring at tourist walking in front of my car, being extra nice to customer service people, that kind of thing. I did interrupt my day to help a friend get an email she somehow couldn't retrieve, I was in a different part of town and drove back to help her. Normally I would just have waited until I was done with my errands, but it seemed important to her. This is going to be an interesting goal for me.
CJZee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 11:05 PM   #27  
Eyes on the Prize

readytodoit: Welcome to the challenge! Looks like you are off to a great start with a nice list to work on. Rock on!

GettinFit: thank you! I am feeling so much better, but I have a long way to go. I can only imagine how good I will feel when I get down to under 200. Can't wait for that day If I can just duplicate what I just did, I will be so close!

LouisaH: Way to go on the attitude thing - sometimes it is just so hard to be positive. You are doing awesome! You are right about the gym experience - as long as I get what I need out of it. I usually never think anyone is looking at me differently because of my size - last time I think I actually experienced someone making a comment about it or something was 15 or so years ago. It just took me aback at the gym with the way they were acting. I didn't think I was asking too much of them - I would think they have had customers who tried classes and did not like them before? The whole "this is a big deal" attitude just seemed really odd. Maybe they have had this happen a lot and are getting frustrated. Who knows - but I will go back and give it (and them) another shot.

CJ: You are doing so well! I really, really am enjoying your unplanned kindnesses - please keep listing the things you end up doing for others. It's inspiring

For me:

1. Drink A LOT more water and use it in place of diet soda. For me, this will be 3 more 20oz. bottles per day. This went okay for me today, but I always seem to end up about 15 oz. short! I have to find a way to get in more.

2. Add more structured exercise (this is a hard one for me!). I need at least 2 hours total per week of this. I took the day off today, but have actually gotten in 2 hours of this already this week. I will likely do something on the wii or a dvd tomorrow.

3. Eat 5 small meals per day, lean protein and a good carb at each. Okay, this one is just plain hard right now. But no one said this was an easy ride, right? Will continue to work on this.

4. Stop obsessing about the scale with daily weigh-ins and pay more attention to how my clothes fit. (this one has been bad for me, too!) I am going back to basics and not weighing until May 1st. I have to admit that I weighed today. But, I do have a good reason. I realized I had not weighed at the start of this challenge - I want to be able to see if I have made progress scale-wise at the end.

5. Spend more time outside - at the park with the kids, working in the yard, etc. This one was not meant to be today, but I do realize that I won't be able to enjoy the outdoors every day. We are supposed to get a lot of rain tomorrow, so I doubt it will happen tomorrow either. I hope we have good weekend weather!

Keep it up and stay strong - we are doing it!
Old 04-02-2010, 04:48 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 216/SEE TiCKER/145

Height: 5'5"

Here are my 5 things:

1. Drink 3 Liters - 1 Gallon of water everyday (4 - 33.8 oz smart water bottles)

2. Decrease cardio (20 mins 3x/week), Increase strength/resistance training (1 hr 3x/wk)

3. Go out more. I've been an introvert for waaaay too long! I've started going out with my best friend for a few hours every week and I've been having the time of my life!

4. Write in my Gratitude journal every day. (if you haven't read The Secret yet, I recommend it!)

5. Smile more often. I didn't spend $4600 on braces for nothing!
MiSSxB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 11:26 AM   #29  
Inch by Inch/Senior Mem

S/C/G: 359/319/160

Height: 5.3

Hey there to all the wonderful women here making great changes in their lives for the better. I am late, but I am joining anyways, so here I go:

First on my list:

To move more and to move everyday, not just from one chair to another.

To only try to eat whole foods, and this will really be a challenge for me until I get this programed into my head.

To drink more water, that means increasing it to 80 oz. a day.

To not eat after my dinner. This will be a doozie for me,

To spend more time in the Word of God and be kind to everyone even when they are not kind to me.

I am ready for this, so here I go. Thanks Hottie for this!!!!

Hugs love and blessings,
Ags
colormerd47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 01:07 PM   #30  
Eyes on the Prize

MiSSxB: Awesome list there. The Secret sounds like a great book - I am going to look it up on Amazon! Also, I love your last one - it is amazing how smiling more changes your whole outlook on everything (even if it's not just because you wore braces lol! that was funny!)

Ags: WOMAN! SO glad to see you here! You are an inspirational light on this site - we are going to rock these changes! Not eating after dinner is a big challenge for me, too. What has been working lately is to just repeat over and over that I do not need it. Simple, but for me it seems to work as long as I say it in my head a couple times - if I ignore saying it, though, it is like a mental battle.

Yesterday for the first time since starting, I did well on everything (except the outside thing because it was raining)! I am also off to a great start today. It is beautiful out (but a little cold) so after we run to the store we are going to take a walk and enjoy it. I am also going to look for a mini trampoline or mini stepper so I can do something while watching TV - I feel like such a bump on a log just sitting in my comfy chair while I watch.

I did get a little disappointment yesterday. I was talking to my sister on the phone and she was telling me how her and her DH are watching what they eat for the past few weeks and doing P90X. Very cool. She was in sports medicine and training previously, so I asked her if she thought I would be able to do the "Couch to 5K" running program. A dream of mine has been to be able to jog or run - not as a regular thing, just to know I can do it if I need to! Well, since I have an artificial knee now, she said I really need to speak with my surgeon because running is high impact and generally not recommended for people who have had a total knee replacement. Basically, I guess my knee could wear out sooner or possibly get damaged, and at my weight, I don't want to take a chance on it. I think after I get a lot closer to my goal weight, I might try it now and then just to see if I can do it, but will have to leave it on the shelf as far as any kind of regular thing.

I hope everyone is having a terrific weekend - here's to changing our lives 5 changes at a time!

"Continuity gives us roots; change gives us branches, letting us stretch and grow and reach new heights." ~Pauline R. Kezer

-

Last edited by HotWings; 04-03-2010 at 01:13 PM.