Sexy by Labor Day 2009 Challenge!

You're on Page 8 of 30
Go to
  • Quote: Wow, CJ - good for you! Are you still working out with the trainer? Have you noticed a difference as far as feeling stronger? I'm thinking about adding some light weights to my exercise routine but haven't done it yet.
    Hi Dancer! Yes, I am still "training" 2x per week. It's expensive but for me worth it. He really pushes me and adds weight all the time. He changes it up and keeps my form correct. It is mostly free weights, squats, lunges, with some machines. I am waaaaay stronger than when I first started. I can see now it is never-ending. He is now working on my strength (vs. endurance) so, for example, when I do squats he makes me do them verrrrry slow. This are really hard for me, but probably the best exercise of all because it involves so many muscles and core strength.

I also do cardio the "other" days of the week, and occasionally take Sunday off from exercise. I have also upped my cardio intensity as I have gone along, but it is something I need to work on more.

In fact ... I'm off to do cardio right now! You are starting out in a much better place than me ... I think you will do great.
  • Wow! So much inspiration on a Saturday morning. You guys are awesome!

dancerindenver - 4 miles? Good for you! I'm at 3.5 now, slowly working my way up. Are you doing any races this summer?

CJ - I love working with a trainer. Haven't done it in years, but it definitely makes you work harder than you'd work yourself. So worth it! Also, I studied abroad in Prague (in college) and it's incredible! A great reward for all your hard work!

Off to be lazy for a bit and then get off my butt and go to the gym...Have a good weekend!
  • CJ - sounds like you have a great program - thanks for the info and the motivational push to get some strength training started!

Takingcharge - Hope you had a good workout! No races for me as they are almost all on asphalt which gives me nasty shinsplints. I do all my running on dirt trails - definitely better than nothing : ) How about you? Are you doing 5K races?
  • Happy Monday all!

On schedule so far with 1lb down since last week, and sticking pretty much to plan with lots of exercise this weekend (2 hr hike yesterday). Nervous about sticking to my calorie limit all week though - yikes! I can't wait for this to feel like a comfortable habit and not a difficult new thing : ) Am heading out for a run shortly in an attempt to start the week out right. Looking forward to hearing from all of you about how you're doing....

June 8:190 - 190
    June 15:188
    June 22:188
    June 29:186
    July 6:184
    July 13:182
    July 20:182
    July 27:180
    Aug 3:178
    Aug 10:176
    Aug 17:176
    Aug 24:174
    Aug 31:172

LABOR DAY Sept 7: 170
  • Quote: CJ - sounds like you have a great program - thanks for the info and the motivational push to get some strength training started!

Takingcharge - Hope you had a good workout! No races for me as they are almost all on asphalt which gives me nasty shinsplints. I do all my running on dirt trails - definitely better than nothing : ) How about you? Are you doing 5K races?
    Ahh! I see you are also from Colorado (I'm in the Springs). I just started trail running a few weeks ago. It's fun, but challenging... I find I have to pay lots of attention to where I'm running, otherwise I'll find myself flat on my face from tripping over a rock or tree root! It's fun though.. I'm starting to enjoy it!

Just checking in for my weekly weigh-in. TOM this week so I feel blah this morning... and it's a Monday. Boo!

SW: 185
    CW: 181.2
    GW: 165

I'm right on track if I keep losing 1.5 lb per week.
  • Fat Pants - way to go on your progress! Glad you're having fun with trail running. I'd like to work up to that - right now it's just running on flat dirt instead of concrete, not zooming up mountains : ) One thing I've heard, and you may have too, is that running on something with an irregular surface like a trail keeps your ankles stronger as the uneveness makes the muscles work in all directions not just in a straight line so you're supposed to be less prone to injuries. Curious to hear what your workout schedule is if you don't mind sharing...
  • My updated stats - I did well this week. Black is goal, red is actual. Yay for me!

June 1:....260....260
    June 8:....259....257
    June 15:..257
    June 22:..255
    June 29:..254
    July 6:....253
    July 13:..251
    July 20:..250
    July 27:..249 (class reunion July 31st goal)
    Aug 3:....248
    Aug 10:..246
    Aug 17:..245
    Aug 24:..243
    Aug 31:..241

LABOR DAY Sept 7:....239
  • I was not on plan,for the last few weeks. But,I am back today for good.I started at 294. Today I am 293.2.My new goal for Labor Day is just to be less than my starting weight.
    May25-294
    May30-off
    June1-off
    June8-293.2Restarting
    June15-290.6
    June22-
    June29-
    July06-
    July13-
    July20-
    July27-
    Aug.3-260
    Aug.10-
    Aug.17-
    Aug.24-
    Aug.31-
    Goal:SEPT.07-LESS THAN STARTING WEIGHT
  • SW:179.2 (May10)
    GW:149.2

May 18: 176.6
    May 25: 176.6
    June 1: 175.6
    June 8: 173.8 (-1.8)

Hope this week is just as good as last week! Congrats to all those who lost weight!
  • I took a break from the scale for a while...so I missed a couple weigh in's. I 'm still here though ...plugging along

SW:229.2 (May 19th 2009)
    GW:199.2

May 19: 229.2
    May 25: 228.4 (-0.8)
    May 30: didn't
    June 1: weigh in
    June 8: 227.2
    June 15:
    June 22:
    June 29:
    July 6:
    July 13:
    July 20:
    July 27:
    Aug 3:
    Aug 10:
    Aug 17:
    Aug 24:
    Aug 31:

LABOR DAY Sept 7:
  • Way to go, ladies! Well done!!
  • Quote: Fat Pants - way to go on your progress! Glad you're having fun with trail running. I'd like to work up to that - right now it's just running on flat dirt instead of concrete, not zooming up mountains : ) One thing I've heard, and you may have too, is that running on something with an irregular surface like a trail keeps your ankles stronger as the uneveness makes the muscles work in all directions not just in a straight line so you're supposed to be less prone to injuries. Curious to hear what your workout schedule is if you don't mind sharing...
    I actually have not heard that before, but it does make sense. My ankle muscles are a bit sore (as are my calves, thighs and butt, too! ) and I think the added work of stability/balance when trail running in the mountains is a huge benefit. But if you are clumsy like me, it's easier to get hurt by falling down or twisting an ankle with trail running than it is on asphalt. Of course, I fall off treadmills, sooo...

We have some dirt trails around here but I just haven't tried them out yet. I want to, though! I'm interested to see how it differs from running on the asphalt (and not maneuvering around roots and rocks). When I went from treadmill running to road running, I had to deal with shin splints for a bit before my legs adjusted.

My workout schedule is mostly dependent on listening to my body. Some weeks I will run 5 straight days in a row and other weeks it will be every other day with strength training on my "off" days. Here is what it's looked like for the past two weeks:

Week of 5/24
    Sun: 2.5 mile run
    Mon: 5k run on race route
    Tues: Easy 1.5 mile run around neighborhood
    Wed: 2.5 mile run/20 min pilates
    Thurs: 2.5 mile run
    Fri: Rest
    Sat: 4 mile hike/trail run

Week of 5/31
    Sun: Rest
    Mon: 2.5 mile run
    Tues: Upper body strength training/HIIT (40 minutes)
    Wed: 2.5 mile run
    Thurs: 2.5 mile run
    Fri: Rest
    Sat: 5k run on race route
  • Monday weigh-in
    Hello all, congrats on another good week. Whether you're celebrating a loss or just getting back on the wagon, it looks like we are all taking good steps.

So this was another 'maintenance' week for me - although after losing 2 1/2 pounds last week I feel I can't complain about a week of staying the same. So I'm still at 214.5, 22 pound lost. I am itching to get to 213, since that would be 10% body weight lost (I started at 236). Maybe this week will be the week for that milestone!

I made my goal of upping my intake of greens from the garden - salads and cooked greens like kale and collards. I also made my goal of getting to the gym to lift weights three times this past week, and this morning I took a dance class and a yoga class. I was wearing a sleeveless shirt to dance class and I noticed there is definitely less arm fat jiggle than there used to be, and I am generally stronger and fitter in dance class than I was several months ago. So even though the number on the scale didn't move, I have something to celebrate! I find the scale to be quite fickle (because of water retention, TOM, humidity, who knows what other factors...), so I try to focus on other markers, and trust that the numbers will come down in their own time on their own way. I still have my eyes on a dress that I can squeeze into, but is too tight, but I think will fit just right in about 10 pounds. I want to wear it this summer - keeping my mind on that keeps me motivated!

I'm off to get a massage this afternoon - my reward for 6 pounds lost in the month of May. Let's make it a great week everyone!
  • Hi everyone! Congrats to everyone who lost weight and/or stayed on track this week! Everyone's doing so well, it's encouraging! I've had a pretty good week also. I'm trying to do calorie cycling instead of just staying at 1350 everyday and I think it's been good, but it's only been a few days so I"ll let you guys know how it goes!

On a fun shopping note, I got some new clothes today and am now officially a size 8 and can even fit into (some) size 6 clothes!! AND, I got a cute dress from Ann Taylor in a size 2!!!! Obviously, they have a slight sizing problem, but still, having a size 2 hanging in my closet is freakin awesome! Didn't know who else to share that with, so I thought this could be a good place

Dancer - sorry I didn't respond to your question earlier, just saw it. I'm hoping to do a 5K in the next month or so, but I did my first run outside, instead of the treadmill, and found it to be much harder, so I"ll have to work up to doing a 5K outside. Hopefully it won't take too long!

5/21/09(SW): 147.4
    5/25/09: 145.8
    5/31/09: 144.6
    6/8/09: 143.6

Keep up the great work!!
  • Hi Ladies!

It sounds like everyone had a healthy & happy weekend! I got some much needed rest so that was good. I exercised Saturday and Sunday, but attended a graduation party on Sunday - which included copious amounts of barbeque and cake! So today I woke up at 138.0 which is a bit of a gain, but I'm determined to lose it by next weigh in.

Congrats to everyone who lost weigh and those who kept it steady! Keep up the great work girls!!!