Old 05-13-2009, 07:16 AM   #376  
There is no spoon!

S/C/G: 265/ticker/160

Height: 5/9

Thanks Jacqui! Well, I'm chalking it up to hard work, but this is my first month, really, with my journey so I expected to lose chunks, as I always do in the beginning. I have been sooooo inactive for the past eight months, no wonder it's coming off. I expect it to slow though next month. Hey, thanks though. I seriously wouldn't be able to do this without you guys. I'm kinda secluded here, so you guys have no idea how your support and encouragement carry me through the days. So before I go and start crying, I'll just say thanks!!
Delphi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 07:58 AM   #377  

S/C/G: 259/ticker/140

Height: 5'5"

Delphi ~ WOW! Just look at you go! Congrats girl! You'll hit that mini goal before you know it! Woo hoo!!!!

Not much to report today--up .2 lbs and I just wish TOM would get here already and get it over with. I'm crabby, I'm cranky, I'm tired, I don't want to exercise this morning (but I will), I'm crabby...wait, I said that already...blech...can I go back to bed?

Since there's so much chatting about eating--I have a question for you girls. How many calories (on average) are you eating a day? I've mentioned before that I think I need to up my calories, but I don't want to go nuts. Also, do you give yourselves any higher calorie days to mix things up? I've read that you need to do that once in a while to keep your metabolism guessing (The Body for Life book really promotes having one free day a week--to eat whatever you want, all day! Honestly the next day I feel like I've been hit by a truck when I do that, that's why I've avoided it this time around).

Well girls, hate to post and run but I need to get the boys ready for school.

Have a wonderful day and be sure to...

DRINK YOUR WATER!!!
iDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 08:26 AM   #378  
There is no spoon!

@crazymomma ~ I've been using MyfitnessPal to log calories/exercise and for me it says 1600 a day. So I thought that sounded like a fair number, plus it readjusts every ten pounds. I don't always make it to 1600 but some days I do. I've heard that calorie shifting is a great way to keep your metabolism from readjusting to your lower calorie diet, so I do try not to eat the same amount everyday.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:47 AM   #379  

S/C/G: 259/ticker/140

Height: 5'5"

Thank Delphi! I'll have to check them out. I use FitDay to check calories, but I usually just keep a log in a notebook rather than update it online. I've seen so many different 'suggestions' for how many calories to eat for me--I don't know which to believe. One thing that I've read that's stayed pretty consistant is the 'subtract 500 cals if you want to lose weight' bit.

I will have to check into the calorie shifting thing too. The problem is, like you, sometimes I'm just not hungry and forcing myself to eat makes me feel icky! I decided that I was going to add a protein shake to my breakfast this morning and after drinking the protein shake (protein powder & skim milk) I am stuffed! I usually have 6oz of ff yogurt with 1/4 cup of Grape Nuts and a cup of coffee for breakfast, adding the protein powder would bump up my cals quite a bit but like I said, I'm full!

Sigh...what's a girl to do? LOL I guess I'll make my yogurt thingie my mid morning snack.

Thanks for the info--I'll check out MyfitnessPal!

Have a great day!
iDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 01:13 PM   #380  

Hi ladiessssssssssssssss

Missed you all last night. Just re-read all the posts, I'll be back a little later as I am running late yet again but I wanted to congratulate you, what awesome news!

Msperception,,,,,,, wtg on reaching that milestone and a new category! Hope that you and DH can sneak off for that night away.....just the two of you You have worked so hard, congrats chicky

Delphiiiiiiiiiiii, heyy you! hi there lady Another 3 lbs! wtg! I'm so happy for you. When I come back later, I'll talk more about the cal thing. Switching it up is good sometimes (after being and eating the same thing day in and out for awhile) but you are rocking it! Just look at you go! Keep doing whatever it is your doing!

urockmom, wb missed ya! Enjoy the day today, it's a beauty! talk more soon.

lewisempireeeeeee, I read and reread the posts and didnt see your original post but saw it in supachicks paste. Aw you, had no idea all this time. I just wanted to say congratulations to your hubby on getting and starting the new job and well on the endurance and prayers and jusst being YOU! hug

supachics, I hope you can get in ok now? THey went to a new server.

To our Jacqui, crazymoma, newshinyme, and to all of you....a big hello ladies. I have to run but I will be back later for more personals. LEt's keep on trucking. Have a great day girls
FullSteamAhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 01:22 PM   #381  

S/C/G: oh **** no!/on my way/157

Height: 5'9"

Delphi~ WOW!!!! 6 pounds already? Tremendous job!

Crazymomma~ I don't think that you should really force yourself to eat but I do think that you should have little snacks through the day. If you skip food entirely-or at least if I do-then I end up ravenously hungry at some point and eat way too much. I am thinking an apple, or maybe a wasa cracker with some laughing cow, or just a piece of cheese, something small so that you keep your metabolism moving. I definitely find that TOM changes the whole process though. Really hungry a few days before, not hungry the first few days, whatever, just find your place and go slowly. Re: calorie totals, I try to hang around 1500 or so, especially if I am faithfully exercising. However, some days I am not hungry and have gone as low as 700.

Supachix~ Very sorry to hear about your husband. So many people are having such a tough time right now that I think everyone who has a job is grateful for it. I'll keep you guys in my prayers.

Lewisempire~ about your husband's job!

So, OP so far today and got in 2 workouts yesterday (1 resistance & 1 cardio) so we'll see what the scale says when I summon the courage to get on it.

to everyone!!
urockmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 01:40 PM   #382  
ISO my perfect body

Height: 5'7.5"

Hi girls, I am feeling the aftermath of TOM, 12 hour shift, and walking like a crazed maniac! I am sooooo tired! But I am gonna push through it because Delphi did it! I love you gals for the motivation you give me!

Fullsteamahead- Thankyou for your encouragement re: making a difference. I do always try, but it sure put a smile in my heart yesterday. I am proud to be a nurse, and I am so glad that some great nurses made a difference in your Dad's recovery. That is the kind of nurse I always want to be! As far as the Hubby/job. He had ALOT of catching up to do around the barn/house, and we are so fortunate that we can live on my income pretty comfortably. But of course, he would rather bring home a paycheck, so I am thankful a job finally popped up that was just perfect for him! And I found out Monday, they are all non-smokers there. Which I am sooooo thankful for, because it took DH so long to quit, and I would hate for him to have to be back in an environment that encouraged it again. No amount of money would be worth him smoking again!
How is your 2nd week going on SB? I need to go to the store and get some healthy foods back in the house....I am almost all out. That is a dangerous trap!!!!!!!!!!! I though I was gonna keep it short for now......

crazymamaof4- I am feeling the same way today!!!! I just want to stay in BED!!!! Anyway, re: online logs, I use "thedailyplate.com", there is also one called "sparkpeople.com". I hope you find one that you like!

delphi-As far as tape measures go, there is always good ole Wallyworld. Also, A huge congrats on another 3 pounds! You are just melting away so quick! That is why I am going to push through today, get some exercise in (as soon as I am done posting). Because I want to see a loss just like you!

Oh girls, I better get off and go do some miles, and drink some water, before this day passes me by!!!! I will come back later and finish the personals! Until then keep pushing!!!!!
Lewisempire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 02:44 PM   #383  
There is no spoon!

Urockmom, LE and FSA ...thanks! I expected to lose chunks for the first month as active as I have been and with the food choices. For the past eight months my idea of exercise was peeling off the packaging on cookies. My diet consisted of hot pockets, cookies and diet coke...so yeah, I think my body is in shock at the moment and it's coming off, but I expect it to slow.

Ooooooo and I also received a program called MyVictoryPlan today. Most importantly, it came with a fancy doohickey to monitor my daily activities. It will tell me how many calories my body burn, total number of steps, how long I sleep along with numerous other things to work in conjunction with the software I got. So every day I can connect the armband to my computer and upload all the information and figure out exactly, or close to, how many calories I'm burning. I'm stoked!!! It came with some protein type shakes so I may try those as well and see how they work as well. I'll let you guys know how it goes..

TOM is gone, or at least I think he is! But don't let that bad boy get ya down. You tell him to kiss it and go on with your bad self. It helps me to have a "Jane" moment, where I am all like, "I am woman, here me roar." Hey whatever works right? Ok, I've run the ol' jaws way to much. I'll talk to you ladies later.

Oh and LE I got a tape measure in my little kit today! Definitely covered now.

Last edited by Delphi; 05-13-2009 at 02:45 PM.
Old 05-13-2009, 03:00 PM   #384  

S/C/G: 188/185/164

Height: 5'8"

Default May Weight Loss Challenge List of Participants (so far!)

Weight Loss goals are in this list. Exercise goals are in the sister thread--May Exercise Challenge. If anyone sees something that they'd like to have changed in their info, please just let me know! I'll continue to add new people as they join in. Good luck to all! You can do it!

FullSteamAhead: Lose 8-10 lbs
Jacqui_D: Lose 10 lbs to reach 187 lbs
SuzyQ: Lose 5-10 lbs; get "rear in gear"
CakeBatter: Wear any size 10; lose 7 lbs; keep working Flylady plan
Tammyjo: Lose 10 lbs
Jacque9999: Lose 1.5 - 2 lbs a week
Shrinkingleah: Lose 7 pounds by June 1st
Rowenna: Reach 105 lbs; feel great about self!
Hattie: Lose at least 5 lbs; reach at least 192 lbs; keep eating OP
BellaEllaEllAaa: Eat more fruits and veggies; drink 8 or more glasses of water throughout the day; stay positive, be supportive, and ask for support when needed
Mikayla: Lose 10lbs
Getlost: Strive to lose 3 lbs/week and not less than 8-10 lbs/month
Brown_Eyed_Staccie: By May 15th, reach 216 lbs; by May 31st, reach 210 lbs; be able to wear jeans done up and looking HOT
Lene1974: Lose 10 lbs; drink 64 oz of water a day
Neesy_20: Lose 10 lbs; be able to wear goal capris
SupaChix: Breawna: Lose 10 lbs Jodi: Lose 8 lbs
Econ_Nerd: Lose 10 or more lbs to reach 237.6 lbs or below
Wifey: Lose 8 lbs
StarryNights110: Lose 8-10 lbs to reach the 170s: stay within calorie limit; no sugar
Ms_Perception: Reach 165 lbs; eat more fruits and veggies (5/day)
Saramommy: Lose 8 lbs to reach 155 lbs
Fressca: Lose 7 lbs to reach 155 lbs
Michelle0630: Lose 5 lbs
Musiclover: Lose 6.5 lbs to reach 147 lbs
Newshinyme: Lose 1-2 lbs a week to break through the 30 lb loss mark
Lewisempire: Lose 5 lbs to reach 195 lbs
JasonsLea: Stay POP 85% of the month (26 out of 31 days); try to incorporate the Abs Power Diet into my eating plan; lose 10 lbs
Westtexaschick: Reach 140-138 lbs
Smallification: Lose 6 lbs to reach "normal weight" BMI
Skinnygurlinside: Lose 10 lbs
Mcrunner: Lose 5 lbs; eat more fruits and veggies; get back to using FitDay regularly
MrsHomeStretch: Lose 19.5 lbs; burn 40,300 calories this month; eat 1300 calories or less a day
Delphi: Lose 3 lbs--MET GOAL!!; lose 3 more lbs--MET GOAL!!; stay within daily calorie intake allowance; lose another 3 lbs
Canadianangel: Lose 16 lbs
Crazymamaof4: Lose 10 lbs to reach 177 lbs; lose inches; eat more fruits and veggies; get out of "obese" BMI category
Scaleskl: Lose 8 lbs; drink at least 64 oz of water per day
Fenderella: Reach 299 lbs
Terapet: Lose 3 lbs
E.mccoy: Lose 10 lbs to reach 202 lbs; no late night snacking
FABlynne: Lose 10 lbs
Urockmom: Lose vacation weight; lose 3 additional lbs
Wantstoloseweight: Lose 10-12 lbs
CheeCheen: Lose 10 lbs
Dvdrumls: Lose 10 kg
Jacqui_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 03:22 PM   #385  

S/C/G: 188/185/164

Height: 5'8"

Delphi, any way you slice it, you are doing amazingly, with both the weight loss and the exercise! The MyVictoryPlan pprogram sounds interesting and very motivational!

Lewis, You have a good reason to feel tired with all that! I've been really tired too, just the last three days or so, and I shouldn't be because TOM is gone, and except for that day that I forgot to eat lunch altogether, I'm eating well. I don't know what the problem is. I just feel like I've hit a wall. It makes me wonder if I'm not sleeping deeply.

Urock, congrats on being OP and the 2 workouts!! Good for you!!

Hi FSA! Can't wait to hear how your SBD is going!

CMof4, I'd say that I take in around 1500 calories a day. I used to write everything down and count up the calories, but that was just to become familiar with the calories in the foods I eat. Now I don't count them exactly, but I am always aware of approximately how many calories are in the foods I eat. And yes, the advice usually given is to cut back 500 calories a day from how you had been originally eating if you want to lose a pound a week, since that would equal a deficit of 3500 calories a week.
Jacqui_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 06:29 PM   #386  

S/C/G: 158/ticker/143

Height: 5-9

If you eat 500 calories less than you burn, you should lose 1 pound per week. If you eat 700 calories less than you burn, you should lose 1.4 pounds per week, and I've read in multiple places that you shouldn't aim to lose weight much faster than that. (Although I know some of you have, and I'm impressed!)
To figure out how many calories you burn in a day, add the number of calories burned exercising to the number you burn just by being alive, which is called your basal metabolic rate. I tried to include a link but I'm not allowed to- just google "basal metabolic rate," there are tons of calculators online.
So, for me, my basal metabolic rate is apparently 1900, so to lose 1.4/week I need to eat 1200 calories + however many I burned exercising that day. I usually burn between 300 and 900 (this includes walking to school, stretching after running, household activities, etc- there are tons of lists online of how many calories you burn doing different things) so I end up eating between 1500 and 2100. I must say I can't relate to those of you who talk about having to force yourselves to get in your daily calories- I find it SO hard to limit myself to 1500, which motivates me to exercise more, to "earn" more calories! And I don't think I'm less hungry when I don't exercise and more hungry when I do, so might as well exercise!
Hope this helps...
michelle0630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 06:34 PM   #387  

Hi girls What a nice crew! I absolutely adore you guys...so glad we found each other here. Girls, listen...last time (in the past) a lot of us disbanded over time (due to a family emergency or life in general, etc.) so I was thinking perhaps sometime we can exchange emails. I wish I had last time and I don't want to make the same mistake twice. Make sure you don't put your emails here, no way! In due time or whenever, let's exchange emails prive for those of you who are comfortable to do so and want to. What do you think? Just Keep it in mind and we can just contact each other here along the way so that in the event we lose each other here, we at least have each others emails for contact.

Boy! lol. Sorry for the I just miss you girls and am appreciative of what we have here and of you all.

Delphi, the girls said it best about eating to keep the metabolism up. As far as the cals go, I don't count or keep track though I have a pretty good idea of what I'm consuming, put it that way. I'm pretty good at knowing cal counts and serv. sizes ohhhhhh and I refer to calorieking.com when I want to look something up. I love how they list fast food chains (a memory for me now, lol) and all that.......you can look up anything you want. THey have a book out too, I have been meaning to by one for my mom for so long. Anyhow Delphi, like the girls said, you are doing amazing! We love having you here too OH Delphi, congrats on that new program you got...oh it sounds good! Thanks for sharing and you keep it rocking

Lewisempire, No question in my mind your an amazing nurse, lol, you an amazing woman! I think that it is super that there is no smoking at your DH's new place of work too! GOod! Your a good egg chicky! NOw that was unintentional, haha. You know how when someone is online there is yellow in the post? I think t hat is the yolk in the egg yes? I never realized that before! ohhhhhhhhh girl, go to the store. It's going great here but ah last night did not go as planned SBD ( shhhhhhhhh, where's lene? , lol). Danger zone is right! Best go and get the stuff you need sweety. It was and has been a great week though overall and I woke up feeling good physically......smaller, it was the protein blast for sure. I actually tried to take a peek on that scale but I cant tell with that ridiculous kitchen scale! lol. I will go by the body test on the wii.

I felt the same way about the exercise today. I did NOT want to do anything at all and it's because of you girls that I did! Ty ty ty I am glad that we are all keeping and helping each other to keep going in the fashion that we have.

Urockmom, thanks for the congrats and also wtg on that workout and OP day. Hope your feeling better and out of that funk. It hit me yesterday pretty bad and I dont know, I was real happy just prior to that from t he loss....ah I guess I had a few things on my mind and going on that day. I felt lethargic as well, thought a walk would take me out of the funk (it usually does) but nope, not yesterday! Needless to say , yesterday is over! Today was absolutely beautiful out, did you get out? I went for a walk (thanks to you all) and today it worked! Got me out of the funk! yup! wtg on the workouts and OP and right back at you! Keep it shaking girl! : )

Leneeeeee, where are you? YOu didn't read the above did you? Nahhhhhh, I was just blabbering away, hahahah Dont read it! lol. How are you doing? Doesn't it feel like the week is going by fast? Tomorrow is already THursday, wow!

Jacqui, about the lunch thing....it helps me having a cut off point ( I do that for dinner too). I make sure to try and eat lunch by 1:30 the latest. I didn't used to do that before and would go all day (it screwed up my metabolism and I was very hungry at dinner). It took a while for me to get used to, I would have to really make sure I ate (not force myself so much (well maybe a little, but at least have a bit of something much like many of you suggested) and after time I found myself getting hungry around that time! oh it was neat! Anyhow, your doing great Jacqui THe SBD is going good girl, it is so what I needed right now.

Crazymamaof4, you are too funny! Well guess what ? Yesterday I was cranky, tired and all of the above but without TOM anywhere in sight! lol. At least you have an excuse! I was just having an off day yesterday.

Sidenote: jacqui, lewis and to all of you feeling tired AFTER Tom, I am alwayssssssss tired after TOM, sometimes it takes me a few days to get back to feeling normal. It takes a lot out of me, always chickies!

oh, I forgot something. Crazymama, regarding the book suggestion and having one day of eating anything you want. I always (my own plan which i typically follow) would allow a meal of whatever I want (usually on a Sat. night or something) but not the whole day! IT would just be one meal. I would have a light healthy lunch and then at dinner, eat what I like but in moderation and still making an effort to choose wisely andnot go way over portions. I t worked and works well for me for the most part as long as I do it exactly as I just said and it really depends how good I was during the week and if I could afford to do that (sometimes I would just end up maintaing ) and so it all depend with me (havn't been doing t hat now). Anyhow girl, hope your feeling better and dont forget to drink your water! lol I love that, seriously, it will especially help you now.

A big hi to you all, hope I didnt miss anyone. I should post before I lose this.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:47 PM   #388  

Michelle, thanks for sharing. I agree, and yes they do tell us, to lose approx 1.5-2 lbs a week for healthy weight loss and not faster. Though I beleive these numbers are in general and often do not entail the first month or so (maybe 2) as weight loss naturally is pretty steady w hen first starting out due to fluid loss and everything else taken into account (of course let's not forget height, bodyweight, percentage of weight lost). Like Delphi, I always lose most the first two months (especially the first month) then it slows down. Ay ay ay, let's take it while we can get it. Michelle, about having to force to eat, i know what you mean...: ) aw you. I was like that (in the past) during the day...........at night my dear girl, I could eat us out of house and home! lol I was always a night person in every way!

I feeeeeeeeeeeel so much better since changing these habits and getting myself in gear again.... long gone are those pesky tummy troulbes I was having. This cant be beat, not just the weight loss but the mental and physcial well being that comes along with it....amen!

Well there I go, rambling yet again. HOpe you all have a great night. I'm doing well, I went and got a roast chicken to hold me over for tonight (money in account tomorrow) and just kicking back. Dh left early this morning on business. Talk soon girls, keep up the awesome work and thanks for everything! a big to you all. Let's keep our momentum and keep it rolling
Old 05-13-2009, 07:30 PM   #389  
Woman On A Mission

S/C/G: 160/Ticker/125

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle0630 View Post
If you eat 500 calories less than you burn, you should lose 1 pound per week. If you eat 700 calories less than you burn, you should lose 1.4 pounds per week, and I've read in multiple places that you shouldn't aim to lose weight much faster than that. (Although I know some of you have, and I'm impressed!)
To figure out how many calories you burn in a day, add the number of calories burned exercising to the number you burn just by being alive, which is called your basal metabolic rate. I tried to include a link but I'm not allowed to- just google "basal metabolic rate," there are tons of calculators online.
So, for me, my basal metabolic rate is apparently 1900, so to lose 1.4/week I need to eat 1200 calories + however many I burned exercising that day. I usually burn between 300 and 900 (this includes walking to school, stretching after running, household activities, etc- there are tons of lists online of how many calories you burn doing different things) so I end up eating between 1500 and 2100. I must say I can't relate to those of you who talk about having to force yourselves to get in your daily calories- I find it SO hard to limit myself to 1500, which motivates me to exercise more, to "earn" more calories! And I don't think I'm less hungry when I don't exercise and more hungry when I do, so might as well exercise!
Hope this helps...
If this is true, then I am not eating enough calories a day. I just burned 560 calories working out but, since I can't seem to have hunger pains, have only eaten about that many calories. Having said that, I have been on a no carb 2 day thing like LAWL. But on a normal day, I may eat 1200 calories but burn 300-400....I am just not hungry any more....not a bad thing really, BUT I don't want to lose the weight the wrong way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphi View Post
Ooooooo and I also received a program called MyVictoryPlan today. Most importantly, it came with a fancy doohickey to monitor my daily activities. It will tell me how many calories my body burn, total number of steps, how long I sleep along with numerous other things to work in conjunction with the software I got. So every day I can connect the armband to my computer and upload all the information and figure out exactly, or close to, how many calories I'm burning. I'm stoked!!! It came with some protein type shakes so I may try those as well and see how they work as well. I'll let you guys know how it goes..
I just googled that and the only site I checked said it was $600!!! That's pretty steep for what you get in the kit....still interested in seeing how it works for you. I would love to get one of those arm band "doohickey" thingys though...just don't know what it is called. Glad TOM is gone for you and you are feeling invincible.
Jacque9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 07:47 PM   #390  
There is no spoon!

FSA ~ I'm all for staying connected! Whether that be here, facebook, email or what have you, I think it's a great idea.

Michelle ~ Yeah, that was one reason my friend sent me this monitor, so that I could keep track specifically to the calories I was burning throughout the day. I put it on at one and took it off at six, uploaded the info to the website and I had burned 1600 calories. I can't wait to see how many I burn with a full day tomorrow, but it definitely gives me a good idea of where my calorie intake should be. At the end of the day though, I really think that if you are putting the right fuel into your proverbial tank, then your body is going to run more efficiently. I think as long as you are putting the right fuel in, at the right amounts, the calories seem to be inconsequential....whether they be high or low....or at least for me, at this point in my journey. But that's the point, we are all different, so what works for one of us, might not work for the next guy. So, we all find our way to most effectively, maintain a healthy lifestyle and use the plans that work for our specific situations.

Jacque ~ Yeah, I was a bit shocked when I saw the receipt..it was another gift from my beau. Actually, the actual band is awesome. As I mentioned in my comment to Michelle, I just wore it for a few hours today and then uploaded the data and my jaw just dropped. It records your metabolism down to the minute. Then it graphs it out, so you know at what times, how long. You can move the graph to a certain time frame and know exactly how many calories you burned. Tomorrow on the treadmill is what I can't wait to see..to see if it correlates with what my treadmill says. I think they sell the bands separately. This company is where I get my vitamins from they don't actually make the band itself, they are just licensed to sell it with "their" plan. I think the company that sells this specific one is called BodyMedia. But I think you can google Calorie measuring armband and there are plenty of places that sell them at as little as thirty bucks. I'll definitely let you guys know tomorrow evening after I upload the data and take some screenshots and attach them here so you guys can see how accurate this thing is.